It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

University of Connecticut bid to study mass killer genes sparks controversy

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   

University of Connecticut bid to study mass killer genes sparks controversy

www.news.co m.au

IS there an "evil" gene? A group of United States geneticists want to study Newtown school killer Adam Lanza's remains to find out.

The New York Times reports that a spokesperson at the University of Connecticut has confirmed the researchers' plans, but declined to provide any further details.

Adam Lanza, 20, shot his mother before driving to Sandy Hook Elementary School where he slaughtered 20 children and six adults. It was one of the United States' worst ever school shootings.

Speculation is rampant that the geneticists will look for mutations that may be linked with mental illness
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 27-12-2012 by magma because: tidy up

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   
With all due respect to the victims.

Is it even ethical? Modern DNA methods have come a long way in being able to identify mutations that can cause illness and death.

But can it be said that scientists can determine that a particular gene will cause someone to be a mass murderer?

So the NRA funds this study and finds out that gene x is the culprit. Smells a little fishy to me. What if gene x is in your daughter? Does that mean that she will be put in jail before the fact to protect the population from the likely hood that she may in fact commit a mass murder?

I am not saying the NRA is funding it. Oh No, the above scenario is a hypothetical.

Welcome to real NEW World Order.#

Where everyone is subjected to DNA testing to see if they will be a compliant participant in society.

Not for me....

www.news.co m.au
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 27-12-2012 by magma because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   
You open by saying that this isn't a conspiracy thread and then lay the groundwork for a conspiracy? Haha

Thanks for posting. I'm all for them looking. I'm all for them using genetics to isolate and remove illness.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by JayinAR
You open by saying that this isn't a conspiracy thread and then lay the groundwork for a conspiracy? Haha

Thanks for posting. I'm all for them looking. I'm all for them using genetics to isolate and remove illness.

Thanks for pointing that out, have adjusted it to read properly.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Okay, let's assume there is an evil gene and they find it, does that lay the groundwork for a mass cull of anyone holding that gene?

Or what would they hope to find from this? I can only imagine it being used against anyone actually in possession of such a thing..

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by yourmaker

That was the point. If you have the gene what happens?

This agenda is not sounding too good to me.....

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Good luck on that!

Thats quite an ambitious endeavour. . .

There are numerous variables that will hinder the process until a shred of 'concrete' factual data can be considered for peer reviewing and could become scientifically checked. . .

Some variables:
- A sample pool size for comparison
- Collection of other DNA samples (of 'good' & 'evil' people)
- A method to test the geneticists 'hypothesis'/data (intrigued on this one)
- etc. . .

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Well, eventually we are gonna get a Gattica type society. Maybe not JUST like it, but yeah, eventually you are gonna be able to special order the baby you want. The crummy part will be the discrimination that follows once this all starts to happen.

They won't KILL people deemed undesirable, they'll find a use for them and keep them under a very close watch.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Are they looking for a "gene?" The article i read said

"There's no clear-cut sort of ... genes identified with the types of illnesses, mental illnesses, that may cause this sort of behavior," says Gupta.

Not only that, Gupta said, but "there are people who carry these genes who don't have the behavior still. I think it's very hard to sort of put those two things together."

Geneticists study Shooter's DNA

Experts in genetics agree. Although there are genetic components to many mental illnesses, there are hundreds, perhaps thousands, of genes involved. Most believe that no single gene or mutation could be the smoking gun that foretells violent acts like those committed by Lanza.

"There's nothing you could look at that would give an answer," said Steve Warren, chairman of the Department of Human Genetics at Emory University.

So why are they mapping it? Hoping to find some scientific reason "why." The same reason they looked for the "god" gene and the "gay gene?" Hoping that, as geneticists, this *can* be proved to have an evolutionary or genetic factor.

Humans need to make sense of things that don't make sense to them, by whatever means; the modern scientific methods and research seem to be, in their opinion, the best place to start--that is why they are scientists. In some instances it is the best place; not always.

I do not think there is a "gene" or anything that can be narrowed and pinpointed to a single cause. I think the cause is integral: social, biological, cultural, psychological, etc. It's like a puzzle: the pieces of each contribute to a condition or cause if they happen to be assembled in a certain way.

Why map it? To try and understand...why. To hope there is a...why. That can be found.
edit on 27-12-2012 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Seems like more evidence that its not about the guns, but rather big pharma doping up who they deem unstable. Oh no! You has the killer gene! Here take this! and that!
edit on 27-12-2012 by Ear-Responsible because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ear-Responsible
Seems like more evidence that its not about the guns, but rather big pharma doping up who they deem unstable. Oh no! You has the killer gene! Here take this! and that!

So if NRA funds the study with the intention of finding that the guns are not to blame they get to keep their guns

If Pharma funds the study they sell more pills.

It is a no win all round

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   
I'm all for it! If they can identify something that all mass killer/psychopaths/violent criminals/ect.. have in common, yet others do not then by all means.. go for it. I have always thought it would be better to find out why a person would do such a thing rather than try to deal with it after the fact. I hear all sorts of things about banning/controlling various weapons and such, but how about figure out what or why it is that people do these things to begin with. finding and treating the cause seems far more logical to me.

link   
Its all ready been proven over and over that genes do not work in this way.
One of the most popular studies to debunk this theory....
2 lab rats one with a gene that supposedly makes him dumber then the other. The rat with the "bad gene" is given extra stimulation while the other rat lives a regular life. It was found that the rat with the "bad gene" and extra stimulation, such as toys and environment turned out to be smarter then the other rat. Its less about the genes and more about the environment.

Other grate example you might not carry the gene witch makes you muscular but you can still work out and get muscular.

Its all about the environment you are placed in. In the words of Dave Chappelle
"The worst thing to call somebody is crazy. It's dismissive. "I don't understand this person. So they're crazy." That's bull#. These people are not crazy. They strong people. Maybe their environment is a little sick."
edit on 27-12-2012 by Infi8nity because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by MaMaa
I'm all for it! If they can identify something that all mass killer/psychopaths/violent criminals/ect.. have in common, yet others do not then by all means.. go for it. I have always thought it would be better to find out why a person would do such a thing rather than try to deal with it after the fact. I hear all sorts of things about banning/controlling various weapons and such, but how about figure out what or why it is that people do these things to begin with. finding and treating the cause seems far more logical to me.

YEAH? What if you carry that gene?

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by magma

So if NRA funds the study with the intention of finding that the guns are not to blame they get to keep their guns

If Pharma funds the study they sell more pills.

It is a no win all round

You mean a double win all round. They will both see plenty of dollars from this tragedy. How else do we stop the crazies? We dope em up or throw em in jail or a mental institution where you can bet there will be plenty of pills. And gun sales continue to skyrocket as we speak.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Infi8nity

Originally posted by MaMaa

YEAH? What if you carry that gene?

I'd imagine she would be perfectly happy with being subjugated the way she would do onto others!

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Ear-Responsible

And gun sales continue to skyrocket as we speak.

And at the same time you have people swapping guns for shopping vouchers.

LA gun owners swap guns for shopping vouchers

crazy

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   

crazy

Right but that was one isolated incident.

townhall.com...

www.cbsnews.com...

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   

crazy

I am aware of that one isolated incident.

townhall.com...

www.cbsnews.com...

Its not one isolated incident. They do this all over the US, they do this in my city. The police buy a bunch of radio air time and tell people to give up their guns.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Infi8nity

Aw crap you caught me before I edited it haha. I misinterpreted your post at first, magma. My apologies.

Infi8nity, Ok fair enough. My point still stands though, there are definitely more guns being distributed than being given up.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join