It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

General Norman Schwarzkopf Has Passed...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   

A U.S. official says retired Gen. H. Norman Schwarzkopf, who commanded the U.S.-led international coalition that drove Saddam Hussein's forces out of Kuwait in 1991, has died. He was 78.

Source

more :

Herbert Norman Schwarzkopf is a retired United States Army general who, while he served as Commander of U.S. Central Command, was commander of coalition forces in the Persian Gulf War.

A great military leader. I'm sure he'll not only be missed by his family and friends, but many soldiers
around the world.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Charley Mike sir.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Seemed like the last of a certain breed of good guys...
edit on 12/27/2012 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I heard that he passed earlier today. He drank Scotch....I will have a drink in his honor later tonight
edit on 27-12-2012 by CosmicCitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   

A great military leader. I'm sure he'll not only be missed by his family and friends, but many soldiers around the world.

I admired him very much. R.I.P., Sir. You were a remarkable man, a credit to the uniform and your country.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   
R.I.P.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   
RIP General.
I believe you were firm but fair.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   
He was a well respected man amongst his peers and world leaders alike.

He will be missed (Johnny salutes)

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   
As we grow from our teens to young adults to an adult certain names stick with you.

This is one name that stuck with me.

I hope he had a full life with little or no regrets. I hope he died a happy man.

Raist

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

My father's cousin is a 3- star general, retired. He worked with Schwarzkopf on a limited basis (he was in charge of supplies during the Kuwait occupation). Anyway, he always had good things to say about Schwarzkopf, which most certainly wasn't the norm for him. I wouldn't be a bit surprised to find out Uncle H is a member of ATS

RIP, sir.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Charley Mike sir.
Thank you.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Aww hell.. Stormin Norman.. That sucks
He kind of went into obscurity after the first war.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   
R.I.P., Brother

I admired him. I had the pleasure of meeting him once when we were setting up in the desert for the official surrendering of the Iraqi army. Not that Saddam Hussein acknowledged what his generals did, though.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   
So sad to hear, he was a great man.

Now he can go pay a visit to Chris Farley and give him a piece of his mind.

Fair Winds and Following Seas (even if you weren't a sailor)
edit on 27-12-2012 by iamhobo because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   
If they had only let him finish the first Iraq war...

R.I.P.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   
IMHO Arguably the finest leader since Patton. Who else could have pulled off what he did to Saddam in this day and age? His brilliance will be missed.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   
I met him right before he retired and got to know him a bit as he worked on his book as he seemed to hang around CENTCOM and MacDill in general. I heard he could be handful back in the day but he always seemed like a good guy to me. He gave me signed copy of his book when it came out after I told him I had not bought one because it was sold out at the time. RIP sir.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by ausername

If they had only let him finish the first Iraq war...

Second that.

We all said we would be back when we left.

Rest In Peace

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by CosmicCitizen

I met then Col. Schwarzkopf when he was a student at the US Army War College at Carlisle Barracks, PA. I was home from college and served him drinks at a party hosted by my dad, a classmate of his. I remember him well; his stature stood out in the crowd and he was very gracious.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrSpad
I met him right before he retired and got to know him a bit as he worked on his book as he seemed to hang around CENTCOM and MacDill in general. I heard he could be handful back in the day but he always seemed like a good guy to me. He gave me signed copy of his book when it came out after I told him I had not bought one because it was sold out at the time. RIP sir.

His autobiography "It Doesn't Take a Hero" is excellent. Couldn't put it down.

Schwarzkopf received word that men under his command had encountered a minefield on the notorious Batangan Peninsula, he rushed to the scene in his helicopter, as was his custom while a battalion commander, in order to make his helicopter available. He found several soldiers still trapped in the minefield. Schwarzkopf urged them to retrace their steps slowly. Still, one man tripped a mine and was severely wounded but remained conscious.

As the wounded man flailed in agony, the soldiers around him feared that he would set off another mine. Schwarzkopf, also wounded by the explosion, crawled across the minefield to the wounded man and held him down (using a "pinning" technique from his wrestling days at West Point) so another could splint his shattered leg. One soldier stepped away to break a branch from a nearby tree to make the splint. In doing so, he too hit a mine, which killed him and the two men closest to him, and blew an arm and a leg off Schwarzkopf's artillery liaison officer. Eventually, Schwarzkopf led his surviving men to safety...

Defense Distinguished Service Medal
Army Distinguished Service Medal
Navy Distinguished Service Medal
Air Force Distinguished Service Medal
Coast Guard Distinguished Service Medal
Silver Star
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit
Distinguished Flying Cross
Bronze Star
Purple Heart

“When you get on that plane to go home, if the last thing you think about me is ‘I hate that son of a bitch’, then that is fine because you’re going home alive.” - To his men in Vietnam

edit on 27-12-2012 by METACOMET because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join