It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Censorship

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Just want to say, any theories, including os are speculation, imho. I do not believe that speculating is implying the absolute truth. Theory, by definition is :a proposed explanation whose status is still conjectural and subject to experimentation, in contrast to well-established propositions that are regarded as reporting matters of actual fact.dictionary.reference.com...
I have empathy and compassion for humanity, and it is not my intention to accuse, only to question, since these matters concern myself and everyone else.

Especially, in a forum that was created to seek truth.

Having been a seeker of truth for 35 years or so, I have found that since 9/11 there is now, censorship in many forums on 99% of most conspiracy theory sites.

One of the new tactics to silence those who question and seek truth is to have trolls,( of course not all are trolls), purposely get threads banned under t&c of the websites. Or to be ridiculed, flamed and silenced for the sake of questioning the events of a horrific nature?

Of course now fb and other media outlets are being threatened to be prosecuted for supposedly posting false info. We are only hearing silence coming from the mm, and yet we the people are not supposed to be concerned?

Important info such as our Constitutional Rights, are being eroded regularly, and yet this is not reported in a timely manner, and our reps, are voting on these rights, quickly, quietly, unnoticed and buried. Yet, mm sensationalizes the trival, mundane, useless, and leaves the most important issues that affect all of us, buried, under reported if at all reported, and reported, quietly, and under the wire.

edit on 26-12-2012 by hypattia because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-12-2012 by hypattia because: Correction

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by hypattia
Important info such as our Constitutional Rights, are being eroded regularly

You seem to be unaware that the Constitution does not guarantee "free speech" within privately owned venues. Instead it guarantees that the federal government will not pass laws that restrict free speech.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

You seem to be unaware that the Constitution does not guarantee "free speech" within privately owned venues. Instead it guarantees that the federal government will not pass laws that restrict free speech.

Yes sir, I am aware. I will edit that statement.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Totally agree ESPECIALLY with this part......

One of the new tactics to silence truth seeks is to have trolls purposely get threads banned under t&c of the websites. Or to be ridiculed, flamed and silenced for the sake of questioning the events of a horrific nature?

I NEVER thought I would see the day in this country when we get told we are not allowed to discuss a topic AT ALL.......in a conspiracy forum no less.......what you just stated above should never have happened here...but it did.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

Apparently this needs to be read again.

edit on 26-12-2012 by elevatedone because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by SMOKINGGUN2012

Without going down this rabbit hole too far, it is plain as day that both sides of the arguments have crossed lines. The 'believers' are as guilty, if not moreso, of using words like "troll" and "sheeple" and "agent" when someone doesnt agree or presents evidence to the contrary of the "theories".

Heck, you can see it in this very thread-the accusations that those who disagree are intentionally there for no other reason than to get a thread shut down.

The overwhelming attacks on those who would disagree, along with the baseless defamation of innocent people is what has gotten things to the tipping point, and is what has gotten threads shut down. It has nothing to do with "agents" attempting to hijack threads.

link   

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

Important info such as our Constitutional Rights, are being eroded regularly, and yet this is not reported in a timely manner, and our reps, are voting on these rights, quickly, quietly, unnoticed and buried. Yet, mm sensationalizes the trival, mundane, useless, and leaves the most important issues that affect all of us, buried, under reported if at all reported, and reported, quietly, and under the wire.

I was referring to the MAINSTREAM MEDIA, not ATS.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by SMOKINGGUN2012

I NEVER thought I would see the day in this country when we get told we are not allowed to discuss a topic AT ALL.......in a conspiracy forum no less.......what you just stated above should never have happened here...but it did.

Not that it would make a difference, but not everyone on ATS is in the United States.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by hypattia

One of the new tactics to silence truth seeks is to have trolls purposely get threads banned under t&c of the websites. Or to be ridiculed, flamed and silenced for the sake of questioning the events of a horrific nature?

Is that the most reliable way??

Why not go to the site owner and order him to delete any reference to say 911?
If you don't have a 911 section then no new people can be converted into a conspiracy believer. The current believers won't have a place to co miserate.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   
If restrictions of free speech is allowed on private venues, which it is by the US Constitution, well, it's still censorship, no?

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by samkent

Is that the most reliable way??

Why not go to the site owner and order him to delete any reference to say 911?
If you don't have a 911 section then no new people can be converted into a conspiracy believer. The current believers won't have a place to co miserate.

I tried to post a solution about rude, insulting posts in the Board and Business questions, but they moved it to Complaints . I wasn't complaining necessarily, just trying to make a suggestion.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Even on a conspiracy website driven by member participation there must be certain ethical lines that should not be crossed. Without this there would be no control over the site, the quality of content would decrease, and the level of scum the site attracts would dissuade participation from reasonable members. Unfortunately (for you and me) we are not the people responsible for making the decisions about where those lines are drawn. Therefore, we must either accept the lines drawn by others (site administrators) or move along.

I’m cool with that….are you? If you are then you are agreeing to a certain level of censorship. I don’t see a problem with the way ATS controls the site through its T&C’s. Seems reasonable to me!

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Which are also independent companies under no obligation to enforce or practice free speech.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag

Even on a conspiracy website driven by member participation there must be certain ethical lines that should not be crossed. Without this there would be no control over the site, the quality of content would decrease, and the level of scum the site attracts would dissuade participation from reasonable members. Unfortunately (for you and me) we are not the people responsible for making the decisions about where those lines are drawn. Therefore, we must either accept the lines drawn by others (site administrators) or move along.

Of course, I have no rights in a privately run forum, I was just stating my opinion.

edit on Wed Dec 26 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: corrected tag

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by zilebeliveunknown
If restrictions of free speech is allowed on private venues, which it is by the US Constitution, well, it's still censorship, no?

No:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   

I agree about the MSM failing to report important news about the governments usurpation of power. The Society of Professional Journalists and the International Federation of Journalists both have codes of ethics for journalists to follow. These codes require journalists to be truthful and to be responsible in obtaining information and documents. Their job is not to speculate….they are expected to expose and accurately report truth. According to their definition it’s safe to say that journalism is dead. Journalism has been replaced by sensationalism. The MSM peddles large scale smoke & mirrors to distract us from important news…

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Just a thought; In a nation supposedly governed by the people, for the people, ANY people (or person) should be considered government. The Constitution being the law of the land is then being violated by the government. Truth should always trump ignorance. Truth is not always presented initially and must be discovered. If we are forbidden to seek the truth, should that not be a violation of the morality in humanity?

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag

Journalism has been replaced by sensationalism. The MSM peddles large scale smoke & mirrors to distract us from important news…

The MSM is a for profit enterprise just like ATS. The networks have rooms full of beancounters trying to figure out how to get better ratings than the competition; thus sell more advertising. Capitalism at it's finest. Give the audience what they want. It's not a conspiracy or censorship to deny information; it's Doing business the American way!

No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people. HLM
edit on 26-12-2012 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   

I'm sorry lady (i think)....there is no such thing as a free lunch and there is no such thing as free speech. Even in a place where we like to pretend we are "denying ignorance" there is still limitations. Some might call it "social integrity" and others will call it censorship. The best way to have absolute free speech....open your own board and allow anyone to say anything....then you get a GLP or 4 chan....there has to be standards.

I fully wish we could have totally free speech as the Constitution says...but sadly...some of our "brethren" use that to puke out hate and obscenity....so there has to be a benchmark and a standard.

Of all the boards I participate in...and I do participate in most of the Conspiracy boards...this one is my favorite. No, I cannot say vulgar things like I can on GLP and I accept that....considering all things. I respect the intent here. I do get a little concerned about some things but I wash it off like water on a ducks back. I have the freedom to share the more "pointed" things across multiple forums. No one says you can only be a member of one...explore if you feel oppressed.

We had a bit of an uproar over the "Sandy Hook" thing. I admit, at the beginning, I was seriously suspect of foul play in the upper levels, I saw big errors...I have since let it go. I can still see big holes in the story but my chaotic ramblings are not making anything better...so I decided to just shut up....my call....not oppression. I hope one day we can openly discuss controversial things and leave the emotions at the door...but at this point...we cannot.

I can leave my emotions at the door....I wish others could. It would make for far better conversations on the fringes of things.

Don't hate the owners, the are trying to run a reputable site...and from my opinion...this is the best....

when I no longer feel the need to fire off obscenities....I might drop off the other sites....till then...this site is number one of my many....
edit on 12/26/2012 by Jeremiah65 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join