It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian forces plan to take Syrian chemical, biological weapons under control.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Russian forces take Syrian chemical, biological weapons under control (Moscow and Washington to work out an accord that will bring Syria’s civil war to an end.)

The chemical warfare threat looming over Syria’s civil war and its neighbors has taken an epic turn with the announcement by Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov Saturday, Dec. 22, that “the Syrian government has “consolidated its chemical weapons in one or two locations amid a rebel onslaught and they are under control for the time being.”

debkafile’s military and intelligence sources report: The Russian foreign minister’s statement was a message to Washington that the transfer of Syria’s weapons of mass destruction to one or two protected sites was under Russian control. This had removed the danger of them falling into the hands of the al Qaeda-affiliated Jabhat al-Nusra ,which had come ominously close Friday, Dec. 21, when the Islamists spearheaded a Syrian rebel assault for the capture of the al-Safira military complex and Bashar Assad’s chemical and biological stores.

The battle for al Safira has brought US and NATO into direct intervention in Syrian hostilities. Western intelligence services estimate that even if Assad removed some of the banned weapons from this complex, large quantities remain and must be prevented from reaching the wrong hands.

source
Yahoo!news
cnsnews
Another strong indicator as to, which way and how fast things are moving in Syria...

SS
edit on 23-12-2012 by Spike Spiegle because: added links

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Great! Now we don't have to go in there and do it ourselves.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Question for all those people that whine about the U.S. always getting into other countries business: If Assad or someone else started using some of these chemical weapons in mass would you want the U.S. (having the power to stop it) to just stand and watch?

-Alien

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Russia do a lot to help the world.
TPTB just keep it out of the news.

YAY! for Russia...

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Well, Syria is and has been a Russian/Soviet Client state since Assad was a toddler and his Dad was riding high on the power of total state control. It's fitting it should be Moscow to clean up this mess and since no one will leave that crap in place....Moscow can have the honors is disposing of one of the largest remaining stockpiles of chemical weapons in the world. I'd be real upset if it all came back to the U.S. for disposal at the Army's facility. Bahh... That's a gift Russia earned.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alien Abduct
Question for all those people that whine about the U.S. always getting into other countries business: If Assad or someone else started using some of these chemical weapons in mass would you want the U.S. (having the power to stop it) to just stand and watch?

-Alien

Stand and watch.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Russia is doing nothing more than protecting their own interests. They wish to keep their Naval bases in Syria and also wish to keep selling the government arms. Russia is just getting a foothold and a reason to bring ground forces in supoort of Assad. No Asad, no more Navy base and Arms deals.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by michael1983l
Russia is doing nothing more than protecting their own interests. They wish to keep their Naval bases in Syria and also wish to keep selling the government arms. Russia is just getting a foothold and a reason to bring ground forces in supoort of Assad. No Asad, no more Navy base and Arms deals.

This is true, and if Russia can play a major role in negotiating a ceasefire, and establishing a coalition government in Syria after the "civil war" their interests could be considered protected. Controlling chemical weapons, could be seen as protecting Syrians from them, or protecting them from the rebel forces IF the Assad regime does fall.

Question is, will the rebels play along?

It's going to be difficult for them when the Russians have supported and defended the Assad regime against them, If the rebels were to target Russians in Syria that could be a "game changer" now.

The Russians could be jumping into a hornets nest there.
edit on 24-12-2012 by ausername because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Spike Spiegle

Well this is good news

thanks op

The problem I can now see the possibility of happening is will the rebels attack russians to get their hands on this stuff? The news report does not specify where the chemicals have been took so they will probably be in Syria still but under russian guard. Could this be a turning point that could bring Russia into a war like role in Syria?

I also like the way MSM has been reporting for a while that Assad's WMD need to be dealt with when in reality they just needed protecting from the western backed rebels

It's true every nation involved with this has it's own agenda but it looks to me like Russia has just played a major role in safe gaurding countless lives in and around Syria regardless of reason that is good enough for me

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Spike Spiegle

I love this move, well done Assad and Russia now there is no justification to go in to Syria hows that for F-U to the west and the only ones using chemical weapons if reports are true are the Opposition.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by ANDERSON23

I don't think there was ever any realistic threat of a western intervention in this one. In fact judging by Egypt and Tunisia, regime change is precisely the opposite of what the West should want. I'm now starting to think that we'd all be better off with Assad.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by michael1983l

The west and NATO have said that the rebels opposing Assad are recognized as the legitimate representatives of the Syrian people. There has also been covert western involvement in all of the above, in your post.

IF there is a post Assad Syria, the west and Russia will have a conflict of interests, and there will be challenges for both sides to gain the most influence.

Syria is a key ally of Iran, Assad controlled Syria, that is.

Russia will defend both, covertly and indirectly against Israeli/US/NATO aggression.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by michael1983l

I have always thought of Assad as a good guy in this one, the west will still be covertly fighting but this move by the Russians takes away the motive for covert action if there was any, should be interesting to see what the next moves are when the patriots come into play I do commend Russia's move on this one

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   

-Alien

YES I would fu*king want to see that! If USA were to invade Syria US will most likely bomb hospitals and kill civilians again just like in Lybia; And then CNN and other MSM will come with false witnesses claiming the US saved them. Are you that ****** to think that USA is caring for Syrian people? You are either acting, or you are in fact the most un informed and the most naive human on this stupid planet that i had pleasure to read from.

Now go to slaughter you sheep. Baaaaaaaa

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Are you guys that blind here on ATS?????
OH My Goodness!

Rebels are working for the United States of America! Rebels are trained, supplied, and financed by USA (CIA), Quatar, SA, Turkey, France, etc...
In fact, they are not even rebels. - They are TERRORISTS because they are foreign merceneries. It's like Russia pays terrorist to attack USA and it's infrastrucutre and civilians, and then MSM calls them rebels fighting for freedom. Is that SANE?

Their goal is to destabilize Syria (just like in Lybia) to allow NATO to invade and 'save' the poor women and children by killing them JUST LIKE IN LYBIA!

DO YOU SERIOUSLY CONSIDER THAT U.S. IS CONCERNED FOR CIVILIANS? If they are so 'moral', then why are they financing terrorists who use car bombs, suicide bombing, infrastrucutre sabotage and killing civilians.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   
From Iranian news:

www.presstv.ir...

Describing the United States as the main cause of insecurity in Syria, Naqavi said, “Washington is not qualified to pass comments on democracy because the Americans are an obstacle to the realization of democracy in Syria.”

“The Americans have failed in Syria and their insistence on spreading insecurity in Syria will certainly lead to the US’s diplomatic isolation.”

From the Guardian:

www.guardian.co.uk...

Russia, along with Iran, provides Bashar al-Assad's regime with weapons and ammunition, and supports it politically, therefore the citizens of these countries present legitimate targets for militants in Syria.

The opposition coalition rejected Maleh's remarks in a move welcomed by Human Rights Group.

But after the Guardian revealed that Russian military advisers are manning some of Syria's more sophisticated air defences, Maleh, head of the Syrian opposition legal committee, stood by his remarks.

He told the Guardian:

What I said that there are a large number of Russian consultants and experts who are helping the Assad regime even though they might be civilians.

Those are legitimate direct target for the Free Syrian Army according to the Geneva Convention because they are aiding the regime against the Syrian people will.

Russia has contingency plans for evacuating more than 5,000 Russian in Syria.

From Russia:

english.ruvr.ru...

Russian foreign ministry’s spokesman Alexander Lukashevich has pledged help to Russians wishing to evacuate from Syria and said evacuation routes have already been mapped out.
“As you know, there is a road map for every country that describes how to act in case of an emergency,” Mr. Lukashevich said. “Of course, we’ve drawn up a plan on how to help our citizens in Syria, which will be put in place if they need any assistance, such as an emergency evacuation,” he added.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   

-Alien

I'd much rather Russia to go in.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Iran: If west attack Syria, crisis would not be limited to its borders.
* Iran and Syria have a mutual defense agreement
Russia and China warned NATO not to invade Syria.
*they are fast modernizing their armies. China just releaed it's first Airplane carrier, Russia just relesed S500 System capable of making US ABM (missile shields) obsoloete.

Attack on Syria could mean WW3. All of you spoiled brats who justify US 'humanitarian aid' into Syria are a waste of oxygen.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by ftman

I'd much rather Russia to go in.

Exactly! Syria welcomes Russia, unlike predatory USA!

EDIT:
Note that Russia does not care for Syrian civilians aswell. Russia knows if Syria and Iran fall they are next! It's simple just look at map of all the US ABM sites in the world - they encircled russia. It doesn't take a genius to figure out for who is NATO (in the near future) preparing to invade - Russia and China!
edit on 24/12/2012 by Fichorka because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Alien Abduct

What are you talking about? If the western world hadn't supported the terrorists being touted as rebels, then we wouldn't even be talking about this. The whole reason they almost fell into al qeada hands (though I suspect some have already) is because the west helped get the "rebels" this far. Syria wasn't going to use them.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join