It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Singulars and Plurals

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 04:19 AM
link   
Not meaning to be pesticious....but why oh why does ATS say that threads of one hour or less were posted as 1 hours ago ie not , Iam very short sighted ..but even a flagging EX FAG SMOKING aUSSIE CAN see hours shiould be singular if the amount iof hours is less than one,.`?

Then again Iam an expired one.
edit on 23-12-2012 by OrionsWitness because: timong

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 04:30 AM
link   
because the text which includes "hours" is hardcoded and the timestamp is a database query?

there isn't some little munchkin with poor grammar typing away at this thing.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 04:50 AM
link   
reply to post by tgidkp

While that is the correct answer, it can be equally said that an extra line or two of code would fix that problem.. I always see this as lazy coding and it is prevalent in many places.

It is always easy to blame 'THE SYSTEM' when we should rightly be pointing at a person.

P

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 05:30 AM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

well. I do not write code.....but I am lazy. so I at least half-sympathize.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 07:45 AM
link   
If something as minor as this makes you start a thread on it, all else must be good in your world.

Yipee(s)!

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 07:49 AM
link   
I think there's nothing wrong with it. It's completely harmless. Concatenating two strings in a selection statement is far from complicated, but laziness is human nature. If we could do less work, we would do less work.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
I am sick of the spelling and grammar police. Get a life! Relax a few sphincters, please! Find something to celebrate.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Iamschist

oh my gawwwd yes i am sick of that two people and theyre grammar nazi skillz always telling me how to spell like i care and i dont how much it bugs people what is the big problem this one time i was in school and they told me the same thing but i passed school this website just needs to calm down a little bit its not hard to read words who cares if its not in a paragraph i dont get how people say how much harder it is to read just by not having elementary level puncutation and whatnot thanks for saying that Iamschist it neededd to be said

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Athin

nevermind.
edit on 24-12-2012 by Iamschist because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by tgidkp

Can there actually be a little plural pixie please? The fantasist and child in me giggles with delight at the very idea!

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   
ps 1 minutes ago also

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Iamschist and reply to post by Athin

That line of thinking will most assuredly speed up the already seemingly inevitable path to this future...

So yes, let all those that recognize these errors (simple and insignificant or not) and feel the need to point it out lighten up and not care anymore and just accept our inevitable future.

Shame on you OP for holding back advancement!!

Shaaaaame!

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 03:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Athin

oh my gawwwd yes i am sick of that two people and theyre grammar nazi skillz always telling me how to spell like i care and i dont how much it bugs people what is the big problem this one time i was in school and they told me the same thing but i passed school this website just needs to calm down a little bit its not hard to read words who cares if its not in a paragraph i dont get how people say how much harder it is to read just by not having elementary level puncutation and whatnot thanks for saying that Iamschist it neededd to be said

The occasional misspelling or punctuation error should be excused, I type too fast quite often, and don't belabor the error checking myself. However, if you misspell all the time in spite of having an built in spelling corrector, if you decline to punctuate or paragraph what you write, then you run the risk of the reader just skipping over your post, because it's too hard to try to decipher or too tedious to read. After all, the reason you're here is to have your posts read, I assume. It's not a question of everyone loosening up for you; it's a question of whether you want to have your writings read. Blaming the reader for your writing faults isn't going to make you happy in the long run.

2 cents.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I can't even remember starting this thread, oh the pain.
Please mods feel free to deletes it.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by puncheex

The occasional misspelling or punctuation error should be excused, I type too fast quite often, and don't belabor the error checking myself. However, if you misspell all the time in spite of having an built in spelling corrector, if you decline to punctuate or paragraph what you write, then you run the risk of the reader just skipping over your post, because it's too hard to try to decipher or too tedious to read. After all, the reason you're here is to have your posts read, I assume. It's not a question of everyone loosening up for you; it's a question of whether you want to have your writings read. Blaming the reader for your writing faults isn't going to make you happy in the long run.

2 cents.

I was being sarcastic. I've actually made a 'we need better grammar' thread on here about a year ago. It didn't help.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by puncheex

2 cents.

I was being sarcastic. I've actually made a 'we need better grammar' thread on here about a year ago. It didn't help.

Then it was worth 2¢? Made my day.

edit on 4-1-2013 by puncheex because: (no reason given)

top topics

join