It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If There Was a Giant Meteor Hurdling Towards a Populated part of Earth, What Would We Do?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Would the world work together to stop it?
Would we try to shoot it with a rocket?
Would we let it fall?
What would we do?

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   
duck and cover!? "we" have no rockets that I know of so unless the gobament decided to fix the situation probably put ur head between ur legs and kiss ur ass boodbye ;0

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   
What would we do?

I think we'd send up a few nuclear weapons and hope for the best. Depending on how fast or how long we had left.

What would I do?

Lots of sex
Lots of drugs
Lots of alcohol
a few prayers to all the different gods
while sitting on a lawn chair at the top of a mountain over looking a valley..and id kiss my ass goodbye!

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by RivingtonRebel
Would we let it fall?
What would we do?

There wouldn't be much we could do scenarios like that of "Deep Impact" and "Armageddon" aren't actually feasible...the governments would prepare by secretly building bunkers to improve chances of human continuity but logically it wouldn't be public knowledge until the last day(prevent panic). The governments would inform each other but that's as far as the working together would go.
edit on 19-12-2012 by Epirus because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Would we let it fall?
What would we do?

Just push stop ,eject and watch something for more family friendly, like this
www.youtube.com...

edit on 19-12-2012 by 12voltz because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Would we let it fall?
What would we do?

I'd do a snoopy dance.
We need a big rock from space to give us a good rattle such we might actually start funding more into our space programs.

A large enough crater or series of craters from a big enough rock breaking up and causing multiple impact events, so long as it wasn't an extinction level event, methinks would give us a good slap.

I'd keep my fingers X'd that most of the impact affected area would be the Middle East -
News Headlines: Middle East, Central origin of Judeao-Christian-Muslim faiths; destroyed by act of God.
Maybe someone would take the hint.
Plus, such a thing might make all that Middle Eastern oil inaccessible, possibly sparking more interest in alternatives.

edit on 19-12-2012 by Druscilla because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   
It would make no difference. We are all going to die, meteor or not.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   
This...

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   
We'd use our moon as a shield like our ancestors did. It's position can be controlled by the great pyramids, it's just too bad we haven't figured out how to do it yet.

Yep, I just made that up.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   
There was such a rock several years ago and we did destroy it. The debris rained down for months. Even set a village on fire in India. We knew it was coming and then "POOF" it was gone. No announcement, no press, no word. It was just gone. And in it's place were thousands of meteors raining down on Earth for months afterwards.

Aussie Bloke knew about it. He warned us. But the real version of SG-1 did it's thing and saved us all.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   
i guess it would depend on how much pre warning anyone of consequence had, and wether they had the resources to do anything about it.
if it was a case of a fast moving object that appeared out of no where from a corner of the sky they hadnt tracked. then i guess for the most part we would be in trouble and totally reliant on wether they do anything about surviving, or wether the just save those they think are important.

a meteor / asteroid impact depends on alot of things.. size. speed. and most importantly what its made of.. as you may notice, alot of small incoming objects often burn up. its often rare anything actually acheives an impact, and usually its too small to be more than a small puff of dust.. tho may kill u if you were unlucky enough to be in the line of it..

not to say we havent had huge impacts before.. theres plenty of notable large cratars around the world. tho no doubt older than BC.

It all depends also on where it impacts.. for instance.. a giant crash into the pacific ocean would most likely wipe out the majority of the countries just from the tsunami force alone... if not the shockwave, and then you would have the fire, and earth that was blown up.

of course having a big bunker in a mountain would likely survive a flooding and such, tho they can only accommadate a certain amount of people for a certain amount of time. and you can bet you number 1 billion on the lottery list for a chance.

no our best chance would be that somehow the moon would be in a position to take the impact, or perhaps deflect it some how, but we would probably still likely then get a rain of chunks from the moon also, if not a complete destabilisation of orbit and the moon hits us.

either way, for the most part. human kind is stuffed in any event.. our only real hope would be to escape to space, watch the world burn, wait for it to settle, and then try to land and recover.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

While many would say this is folly, in a certain sense it is very wise.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   
I think the official advice is too put your head between your legs. that way its easier to kiss your bum goodbye ;0) seriously though if it was really close they couldnt do a lot without risking spreading the problem out i think they would give out pretend advice so we can feel like we have a chance of surviving and are kept busy whilst the leaders get somewhere safe if there is suh a place. like they used to advise painting your windows white and hide behind a door if a nuke went off ;0)

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by glassspider

All is not without a sense of irony. Those who think they are saving themselves save nothing; rather they prolong their agony.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   
youre assuming they would even tell you. the PTB would discreetly evac to their bunkers and cave hideaways and hunker in until we are dead. one minute youll be eating frosted flakes, the next the sky turns black and then youre kaput. the sky turning black is all the warning 99.99999% of us will get.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Apocryphon

It was excellent advice get in a sack or sleeping bag take your doors off their hinges and hide behind them, dont come out because of the fallout and paint the windows white. so basically label your house as one of the occupied bag yourself up and put your bodies tidy in the corner and wait to die so much easier for the clean up. much like convincing us to put our head between our legs on a plane a if it was for our safety when really it was to protect our teeth for identification. not that im complaining perfectly sensible thing to do our last moments have a bit of hope and we make the cleanup a bit easier for people who were far enough away.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   
I would call my sister...cause she ain't never seen a "BOOM" like this thing is gonna make.

2nd

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   
I love these types of questions, because they ask those being questioned, one thing, but in reality the questions actually masks a more basic questions, which in this case is: What would you do, if you were faced with your own mortality and the mortality of those around you.

To that questions I would simply answer: pick up a dog from a shelter who has had a particularly troubled life and grab him some quality dog food, grab my favorite beverage, my favorite foods, find a natural scenic view (like a valley, canyon, beach or whatever) and wait for the coming Armageddon with my canine friend. No fooling.

-The Ghoster
edit on 20-12-2012 by theghoster because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   
I would sit back on my roof and enjoy the fireworks or if I do something stupid like try and survive id hide in my bath tub with doors on top and filled with water

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   
It depends where it "might hit " If I could I'd grabmy cat and get in my boat and ..

<<   2  3 >>

join