It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone ever feel the need to unplug from ATS?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I love this site and have been coming here for quite some time. With all the doom, gloom and flat out outrageous threads. I find myself getting sucked into some crazy ideas. Weather we believe what we are reading or not. Some threads can plant seeds that we are unaware of.. These seeds grow and start changing my outlook and thought patterns. I find myself having crazy dreams and a series of nights where I experienced sleep paralysis after reading a thread about demons attacking people in their sleep.. We wanna believe some things so bad that we start believing everything people say about it.

Anyways, when you check it 5 or more times a day, and your not an owner or mod... I find it necessary to pull myself away from this site and the internet.. Get outside, take walks, exercise, anything that gets my mind clear and focused again.. Sometimes its days.. Once it was almost a year.. But I do come back and I find after an hiatus.. I'm much more skeptical and discerning about what I read and believe..

I'm curious, has anyone had similar experiences?

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Yes and I do and if ever you start feeling you should, then do it!

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Few months at a time, yes. Sometimes people get so caught up in the negativity here that they forget to go out an enjoy themselves. If you only ever read what's on here, you'd think there is no happiness in the world.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I come here all the time for news and facts on what is really happening around the world.

As of lately Im getting real annoyed with all ths doom and gloom and its rare to find some real world topics here. I stayed off all weekend and look where I'm at now? Back on here catching the news worthy stories of the day.

link   
It is a very real thing.

It's easy to get over-loaded with stuff.

Take a break until after Christmas.

Then come back for the fun.

I hope you have a great Holiday with your family.

link   
reply to post by HooHaa

Frequently.

Sometimes it's as easy as avoiding certain forums and other times it's good to have a week or two away from reading/posting.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by HooHaa

Everyday my friend. But after a week-end of no ATS I get a little antsy about it. I go to visit people and watch a little of the news while chitchatting' and what not, I can't stand the news. The "no worries" attitude or completely the opposite. Super serious melodrama. A little more and they'd cue the music.

I understand what you're saying about the those thing associated with being latched on to ATS. I call it Doom and Gloom Induced Cerebral Atrophy.
Usually the week-end does it for me.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by HooHaa

A powerful addiction.. Sometimes I forget there is other internet out there.

I personally can't help it. If any thing big happens ATS gets it right. I actually feel like I know what's going on in the world.

This site won't affect you much if you don't fear death, and don't fear life. If you fear one or the other this site could have a negative impact on your outlook.

It's pretty outside.

My new problem is I listen to podcasts while I read and even write here.. Now my brain feels uncomfortable just doing one thing. Reading isn't enough, writing isn't enough, listening isn't enough.. Let's do ALL 3 !!

edit on 12/18/2012 by Dustytoad because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

reply to post by HooHaa

Anyone can wind up feeling like you do at times and in fact, it's a good sign when you recognize it and feel the need to withdraw for a while. That's a healthy attitude.
And being a mod doesn't make a member immune.
Taking time out is needful sometimes.

Yourself -- and your family and others you love and care about -- should always come first in your life. Anything else fits in after that.

Mike

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Yeah. The ghastly level of ignorance and fear on ATS wears me out.

link   
reply to post by HooHaa

I find myself getting sucked into some crazy ideas.

If you know they are crazy, how come you get "sucked in"?

The moment your mind raises the crazy flag is the moment you should divert to elsewhere. You don't have to "de-program" from what you don't buy into.

. Balance the reports of "Underground UFO Nazi bases" with a bit of "tongue in cheek"?

link   
with all due respect to my fellow members, i believe 99% of us will be on ATS on 12/21...the other 1% will be outside watching for the melting of the sky, armed doomsdayers, fireballs from heaven, alien ships

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

Not me..
that's when my girl girl gets payed.. I'll be drunk somewhere..

..ok im lying...

I'll probably check new topics a few times throughout the night...

Grr.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Sometimes it depends, recently I have been online quite a lot but that’s only because I am on holiday.

At times I do like to un-plug, but I am constantly in the internet or have an internet device close at hand to check up on ATS. It’s just something to do when I am bored

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by HooHaa

I like to think of it as an anti-delusion syndrome. When the mind dwells too much on a concept that it cannot share, it becomes harmful to your thought processes. It does not matter if the concept is a disillusion or delusion - it only matters if it's shared amoungst other's around you and how much you dwell on it.

To counteract it, spend some time with friends and family and do whatever they're doing. If that option is not available to you, just surround yourself with junk on tv and youtube. All the superficial stuff actually helps to keep you sane, because the brain thinks it is doing what it is suppose to do - share concepts.

Sorry if that went too deep. I have a problem. lol

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by HooHaa

All the time, I suggest eveyone does. It's impossible to stay sane if you don't.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   
I've taken a few sanity breaks, sometimes for days other months.

Sometimes it's just too much to deal with. This past week with the shootings and that... "person" who hit the toddler and posted it on facebook I've been in constant tears.

Taking some time off is a good thing if you see yourself being affected by what you read here.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Usually happens a few times a year for me.

It's really good to step back and look at things from a differnet perspective. The ATS community is wonderful, but we are insolated here on the internet.

Sometimes new and positive experiences can only be found in RL
. That or the outright negativity of being an informed, online denizen becomes far too much.

Either way, breaks are good.

~Tenth

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Until yesterday, I had not made a post in 8 months.

I was still checking the forums out, but not as much in the past.

Cheers

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by HooHaa

I love this site and have been coming here for quite some time. With all the doom, gloom and flat out outrageous threads. I find myself getting sucked into some crazy ideas. Weather we believe what we are reading or not. Some threads can plant seeds that we are unaware of.. These seeds grow and start changing my outlook and thought patterns. I find myself having crazy dreams and a series of nights where I experienced sleep paralysis after reading a thread about demons attacking people in their sleep.. We wanna believe some things so bad that we start believing everything people say about it.

Anyways, when you check it 5 or more times a day, and your not an owner or mod... I find it necessary to pull myself away from this site and the internet.. Get outside, take walks, exercise, anything that gets my mind clear and focused again.. Sometimes its days.. Once it was almost a year.. But I do come back and I find after an hiatus.. I'm much more skeptical and discerning about what I read and believe..

I'm curious, has anyone had similar experiences?

In short, all the time.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join