It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Illusion of Free Will

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Free Will is not an Illusion. If you actually do everything your higher self causes you to do, without knowing it consciously, then you have free will, while not knowing for sure, one way or the other. But regardless, you have it.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 02:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by smithjustinb
You have absolute freedom. You chose these limitations. You existed before your body was born and you will live when it is gone. You are me. You are everything. You are all there is. You created the universe and it is becoming like you.

I chose the limitations of relative perception and individuality because that is the best way for me to experience my creation. The individuals don't see what I, the universal consciousness, sees because then, their perceptions wouldn't be relative and it would be very boring for me.

very boring to you? i presume you are joking and well know boredom is of the mind, you cant be universal consciousness, which implies the "all", and then claim to experience some mental condition, hey?

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 02:37 AM
link   
Now that's free will, we all have free will now.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 02:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by orangutang

Originally posted by smithjustinb
You have absolute freedom. You chose these limitations. You existed before your body was born and you will live when it is gone. You are me. You are everything. You are all there is. You created the universe and it is becoming like you.

I chose the limitations of relative perception and individuality because that is the best way for me to experience my creation. The individuals don't see what I, the universal consciousness, sees because then, their perceptions wouldn't be relative and it would be very boring for me.

very boring to you? i presume you are joking and well know boredom is of the mind, you cant be universal consciousness, which implies the "all", and then claim to experience some mental condition, hey?

You are right. This body doesn't see very well and is relatively ignorant. Humility is wise.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 03:27 AM
link   
Free will is only free will when you strip back every single cultural influence and either reject them as arbitrary, and therefore not 'unquestionably right' (or choose to accept them for an easier life in the culture you live in). Just dont follow blindly.

I grew up in a typical neanderthalesque family with a builder (construction worker) father. The type that protects his food and his wife from other mens eyes. He has his ways and thats that. No foreign food, and monogamy and the fairytale true love was the 'right way'.

Naturally for years I believed this was how you lived. I hated feeling jealous and possessive of my various girlfirends over the years, especially because I knew, as a bit of a jack-the-lad, that I was perfectly capable of sticking it to many other women, without losing any 'love' for my girlfriend. But I didnt question this, its a 'mans world. and boys play, while women stay at home, right?

Eventually I decided that if I can enjoy the physical pleasure of sex with other girls, whilst still feeling love for my partner, then why shouldnt she? If I really had true love for her, why did this sicken me to think of her orgasmic with another? I cook her lovely meals every night, I am a good cook, but when I take her to a Michelin starred restauarnt and Frenchy Pierre white cooks her state of the art cuisine - do I leave all jealous asking "was his pomme frites better than mine?". These are pleasures of the flesh - and what I want love for, between my partner and all my friends, is that spiritual connection. Like, we are both on the rollercoaster together - how was your ride today darling?

So I started peeling back all that I thought 'right'

Turns out EVERYTHING we do is arbitrary, from the side of the road you drive on, to the food you eat, to the sexual/family/marriage model of your society. They way you do somthing is simply a product of your environment. None of it is actually 'right' or 'wrong'.

No, I hear many people cry. Take 'murder'. All societies agree that murder is wrong, its rule number 1. Murder is wrong. Yet, with particualr circumstances, we can be persuaded murder is acceptible - eg. wars, taking out kidnappers or suicide bombers, euthanasia etc. Every so called 'right' can be seen from a very particualr viewpoint and justified to a culture that otherwise says murder is 'WRONG'.

Ergo, nothing is right or wrong, its all dependent on the context. And context is the evolved history of laws and societal behaviours. A current example is the globalisation of the planet bringing friction over the silliest of things we hold dear. Take muslim women wanting to wear the veil in Western societies where this is seen as daft or for identification purposes not acceptible. People are dying to protect something they see as right where the rest of the world sees as daft. Trying to ram square bricks into shrinking global round holes. The homogenisation of humanities culture is inevitable, but those that grasp blindly to cultural loyalties will suffer most.

Free will is stripping back all the layers of dance and ceremony - understand WHY you do something, where it originated from and then ask yourself "Do I really need to do this?"

My partner and I are now dabblers in sexual swinging. Not becuase we are sexual perverts with bizarre fetishes - but simply because it proves that we have control of our thoughts and therefore our emotions. Emotions ruin lives and emotions are not 'instincts; as some think. Emotions are manifestations of thought so ingrained in you that you cannot reconcile. If you told me 5 years ago I would watch another man and my wife in sexual extasy oh how I wouldve laughed. Now, becuase I controlled my will, I see it as perfectly natural. I use this example because sexual possession and jelaousy is SOOooo ingrained in our species that it is possibly the hardest one to overcome if you have grown up with it. If that can be overcome, then any belief can be overcome and the emotions neutered.

If we taught this skill of undertsanding why a cultural meme is in place, then we can still choose it for ourselves so we dont stand aside from the herd too much - and thus incite the 'kill the oddball' mentality of said herd.

But If we taught this skill of seeing every rule and law as arbitrary, perhaps it wouldnt be so hard to change when change is needed............. Get out of your culture and see another's viewpoint!!!

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 03:44 AM
link   
That was nice riftvalleykid, I feel the same.

Just yesterday was an insight that emotions are the result of a lack of cunning.

Please share.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 03:49 AM
link   
reply to post by smithjustinb

Humility is wise when you look back at when it began. Humility leads to wisdom.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I still strongly believe that we all create our own reality with our thought patterns. Kind of like the LOA.
Free will is one of the things we create ourselfs.
If you believe you have no free will then everything on your path will confirm that thought to you.
If you believe otherwise then that is what is confirmed.

Also want to add that almost everyone I ever met and knew offline (so that I knew how their lives are) who believed they had no free will at all,
this where all people who somehow never achieve to live the life they want or achieve the goals they set.... 'no free will' became an excuse for them, a distancing from responsibilities.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join