It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Ideas/Suggestions for protecting yourself from an active shooter

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   
I searched this topic and didn't find anything exactly like this or recent, in light of the mass shootings that have been taking place here in the US. I've seen alot of threads on whether or not this latest shooting in Conn. was a psych op or was to blame on societal problems or gun issues. Honestly, I'm still completely horrified and sick inside, and not sure what to believe about any of it, but I'm not sure that where to place the blame is where we need to be focused right now.

I have this horrible feeling that there will be more of these incidents to come. I don't know about you ATS, but if one of these incidents comes to my town, I would rather do everything I could to take the shooter out. I'm sick of innocent people having to be victims! Lets stand up and show these perps that we're not gonna take this crap anymore! Before someone accuses me of being insensitive or implying anything, I'm not. There's no doubt in my mind that everyone in the school shooting incident did all they could to defend and protect themselves and the children they had in their care. But, just maybe by being proactive and thinking ahead of time we can raise the odds just a little bit in our favor.

I found a good website that has some good suggestions to what you can do if your are caught in a situation where a mass shooter has entered the building you are in. I hope that you guys will also offer suggestions. I'm looking for ways that ordinary citizens can defend themselves against an active shooter, when they do not have access to a gun. What tactics can be used to hide or attack and disarm the shooter? What ordinary items can be turned into weapons etc.? Below is some info on the website I found. I hope you guys will contribute. Let's not be victims anymore!!

Self defense against a shooter

And here’s my take on the subject of self defense in an active shooter situation:

Three things to note:
■An Active Shooter is not the same as a person taking hostages or a terrorist. An Active Shooter does not want to talk or make a media statement. They are looking to rack up the death toll or exact their warped sense of revenge and payback.
■There is a difference between cover and concealment. Cover provides some kind of protection against bullets. Concealment can’t stop a bullet, but may hide your presence — for example behind a floor-to-ceiling curtain.
■Live gunshots are not as loud as you are used to hearing in a movie theater. They may sound like popping noises, a baseball bat hitting a wall, or firecrackers.

The article then goes on to describe what to expect and ways that you can hide and also defend yourself. Click the link to read the entire article. Ats is a wealth information and experience. Please contribute yours!

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Make sure you are armed as well.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Always carry fake blood packets.
When the shooting starts, and if you are not armed (you should be) and therefore cannot subdue the shooter, then smash the fake blood pack against your face and hit the floor and play dead.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Why you shouldnt engage an active shooter unless you have absolutely no other choice.

Ranging from putting yourself in the shooters crosshairs, cops crosshairs or accidentally hitting a bystander.

Granted all of those considerations are subjective given the specific circumstances.

Survival of the fittest is funny. I had two roosters. One bravely stood between a coyote and the hens while the other ran away and hid.

Guess which ones genes are living on?

edit on 15-12-2012 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Preparation is key. Buy a gun. Go to a range and shoot once a week. Don't live in fear

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
There is only ONE way, but something not many will do.

First is to get over the shock of someone armed with the gun bursting into the scene, and that takes preparedness mentally. It has to be instinctive.

Next, is to go for the shooter, regardless of our own safety, even if you do not have protective vest or gun. Pin him down or render him difficulty in whatever he intends to do.

At most time, you will be shot, but there is NO man made weapon that can kill a human INSTANTANEOUSLY, even a direct shot to the head as it must be an accurate aim. There is enough time for you to get close, to hinder him and to give enough time for others to recover and run away to safety in different directions.

It's been done before in real life, not just hollywood movies. I speak from experience. In that situation, one will die anyway. Better to go with a bang than to be shot like a cowering dog, saving other lives, which is something most humans would have done in my situation if they had military training as I had.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlastedCaddy

Perhaps you missed the part where I said if you don't have a gun?? Most law abiding citizens don't carry weapons to the mall, or work, or the kindergarten class they teach.....because they aren't allowed there.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by SeekerofTruth101

Would you mind telling us what happened? Start to finish. Could be helpful to hear a true story.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by FinalCountdown
Always carry fake blood packets.
When the shooting starts, and if you are not armed (you should be) and therefore cannot subdue the shooter, then smash the fake blood pack against your face and hit the floor and play dead.

That's actually a good idea! One of the suggestions on the website I found was to play dead. Unfortunately most of us don't go about our daily lives armed. One day we probably won't even be allowed to own guns, but the perps will still have them.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by britelite1971

Interesting topic. S&F! It's time for people to start thinking proactively, it might mean your survival. It might just save your life. I totally changed the way I think a couple years ago when I started carrying-concealed. I don't go anywhere without my pistol anymore. When I first purchased my pistol I swore I would never carry it concealed and that it was for home defense. But then what good was it locked up in my safe? If I'm somewhere I can't carry my pistol I will always have a knife on me. My last job I made sure I always carried a pen on me. The point was never be defenseless. I drink a lot less when I'm out in public. I don't ever use walk up ATMs anymore. You need to be thinking about Situational Awareness at all times. Take nothing for granted. We have had shootings at the mall, the theater, pop Warner games, etc. All bets are off. I don't want to end up a statistic.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by britelite1971

Originally posted by BlastedCaddy

Perhaps you missed the part where I said if you don't have a gun?? Most law abiding citizens don't carry weapons to the mall, or work, or the kindergarten class they teach.....because they aren't allowed there.

Law abiding citizens who only carry their weapons in places they are told to have another name after events like CT. They're called victims. Arm yourself.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Why you shouldnt engage an active shooter unless you have absolutely no other choice.

Ranging from putting yourself in the shooters crosshairs, cops crosshairs or accidentally hitting a bystander.

Granted all of those considerations are subjective given the specific circumstances.

Survival of the fittest is funny. I had two roosters. One bravely stood between a coyote and the hens while the other ran away and hid.

Guess which ones genes are living on?

edit on 15-12-2012 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

You're right to a degree, and you have a good point. To confront a shooter or try to take them out would be putting yourself in the crosshairs. But what if you were putting yourself between the gunman and your children? or trying to disarm him before he shot your children. Would you do it?

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mrgone
Preparation is key. Buy a gun. Go to a range and shoot once a week. Don't live in fear

What would you do then in places where there are gun bans? It seems most of these shootings are occuring where guns are not allowed. Do you violate the gun ban and risk being arrested or go in without your weapon?

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I think our UK members gave us some tips, What was it... oh yeah..

Something about if you don't believe in guns, and refuse to own a gun, you will be safe or something. Like bullets will go around you or something...

or wait, that was'nt it... now I remember, like you will still be shot, but the bullets wounds become KNIFE wounds, and you still die, but its ok but it wasnt a gun! dying by a knife is perfectly acceptable and it doesnt hurt at all!

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by britelite1971

Originally posted by Mrgone

What would you do then in places where there are gun bans? It seems most of these shootings are occuring where guns are not allowed. Do you violate the gun ban and risk being arrested or go in without your weapon?

Yes I do. I am always armed. When I don't have the pistol I carry a3" folding knife that releases by pulling it out of the pocket. I also train with some guys who carry the same way. Full contact knife fighting is intense but if you don't train you make more mistakes in the real life situations.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeekerofTruth101
There is only ONE way, but something not many will do.

First is to get over the shock of someone armed with the gun bursting into the scene, and that takes preparedness mentally. It has to be instinctive.

Next, is to go for the shooter, regardless of our own safety, even if you do not have protective vest or gun. Pin him down or render him difficulty in whatever he intends to do.

At most time, you will be shot, but there is NO man made weapon that can kill a human INSTANTANEOUSLY, even a direct shot to the head as it must be an accurate aim. There is enough time for you to get close, to hinder him and to give enough time for others to recover and run away to safety in different directions.

It's been done before in real life, not just hollywood movies. I speak from experience. In that situation, one will die anyway. Better to go with a bang than to be shot like a cowering dog, saving other lives, which is something most humans would have done in my situation if they had military training as I had.

Thank you! This is exactly what I am looking for!...real ideas from real people who have experience and suggestions to share! One of the things suggested in the article I found was using a fire extenguisher to temporarily disable them (by spraying them) and then knocking them out with it. Like you said, there is a risk of getting yourself killed, but then there is a risk anyway. It's not like you are safer cowering in a corner. As a poster below said, I also would be interested in hearing your story.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Mrgone

Sorry. I do mind. I am not signifcant and only a nobody anyway. I am not important, but saving lives is more important than my story and do hope that this thread may help someone one day.

No human lives forever anyway. The more we cling selfishly to life for ourselves at the expense of others , the more fear we subject ourselves to, and living in fear is NEVER the way of humanity nor a way of meaningful life, for such memories of cowardice at moments of truth will only haunt us forever, hindering our own progress and evolution.
edit on 15-12-2012 by SeekerofTruth101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cosmic911
reply to post by britelite1971

Interesting topic. S&F! It's time for people to start thinking proactively, it might mean your survival. It might just save your life. I totally changed the way I think a couple years ago when I started carrying-concealed. I don't go anywhere without my pistol anymore. When I first purchased my pistol I swore I would never carry it concealed and that it was for home defense. But then what good was it locked up in my safe? If I'm somewhere I can't carry my pistol I will always have a knife on me. My last job I made sure I always carried a pen on me. The point was never be defenseless. I drink a lot less when I'm out in public. I don't ever use walk up ATMs anymore. You need to be thinking about Situational Awareness at all times. Take nothing for granted. We have had shootings at the mall, the theater, pop Warner games, etc. All bets are off. I don't want to end up a statistic.

S&F back to you! I am sick of the few making the rest of us victims! Enough is enough! We might die trying, but it is time to fight back! The perps don't care anyway, they are going to kill people whether or not they are begging for their lives or fighting back. Maybe it's time we make them afraid of us! It's also time to stop supporting them for years on end while they sit on death row and use appeal after appeal. If a person harms children or innocent citizens they deserve to meet a quick end. No more mercy! I love your attitude of not being a victim! The pen idea is a good one! That's one I will always keep on the back of my mind!

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Another good idea would be to throw something at them before your charge. A bottle would do nice but anything hurling at your face would cause a distraction.

Once you have hands on the piece of garbage be aware of the gun and attempt to control that. Hands on and don't let go

edit on 15-12-2012 by Mrgone because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Mikeyy

Yep, pretty soon we will only be allowed sporks....like the plastic ones from Taco Bell. Good luck defending yourself from a gunman with a spork! Any suggestions anyone?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join