It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Royal prank call" radio station has to compensate the nurse's family? I don't think so.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 06:31 AM
link   
You most likely have heard about the main story behind all of this so I'm not going to discuss any of that here. What I am going to state here is my opinion on what has been going on since, mainly regarding the radio station having to compensate the nurse's family. I really haven't read into the reasoning behind doing this, but that doesn't matter because no matter what the cause is, whether it's because the radio station wanted to or were forced to, what matters here is that THE RADIO STATION is looked at as the cause of this nurse's suicide. Let's look at it this way. If the radio station's prank had gone no farther than to its local listeners ears then this nurse would still be alive. Now it is definitely possible she may have taken her own life simply because she knew she screwed up and somehow couldn't live with that, but you know as much as I that this is a far stretch and what really caused her to take her life was the mainstream media picking up this story and spewing it everywhere which caused her enough torment to bring her to suicide. In a world which lives and operates under 100% logic the mainstream media would be looked at as the overall cause of this nurse's suicide and they would be the ones compensating, if it so has to be done though I disagree that anyone should be compensating. Sadly though we don't live in this sort of world and instead in some ironic twist the mainstream media gets to post articles stating how the radio station is now paying up for the prank and all of the fools of this world flock to these pages and form their opinions which have them thinking "Shame on you you deceiving radio station.". I disagree entirely with any rules, laws, or regulations which claim pulling this sort of prank is not allowed, if they exist. It was a harmless prank which became harmful once out of the radio station's hands. I won't be debating or explaining my opinions any further as I simply don't care to and I feel they're pretty clear already, but I'll be looking forward to seeing how others feel about this matter.
edit on 12-12-2012 by SeriousIndividual because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 06:49 AM
link   
reply to post by SeriousIndividual

The way i understand it from various news articles, is that the radio station have set up a memorial fund for her family voluntarily and are using profits from advertising...I don't think this is the same as compensation as it is more a good will gesture than admittance of guilt concerning her death.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 06:51 AM
link   
It would be nice if the royal family could chip in. Not like their short of a bob or two. Maybe they have? I imagine Kate and wills, feel a sense of guilt, despite it not being their fault.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 07:03 AM
link   
"Has to compensate"?

There's no 'has to' about it. Nobody is forcing them to.

It's a PR exercise: damage limitation. They've lost a lot of advertising and this could impact future revenues massively (it's a commercial station) and any donating of any advertising profits up until the New Year will be less than they'd lose in the long run.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 07:05 AM
link   

I haven't been following this story. Anything related to "royalty" is not something I wanna read about. Later, I have become interested as to what happened actually, cos the story made no sense. So, can someone fill me in on some details.

So this nurse fell for a fake call. She was deceived in to giving information about the Middleton's pregnancy? Am I right?

Ok, she fell for it. So what is the reason for the suicide ?

So she killed herself for falling for a prank ???

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 07:05 AM
link   
They're doing it on their own, and right
U so. They're lucky they aren't locked up on treason charges. Last I checked impersonating the monarchy like that was treason.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Merriman Weir
"Has to compensate"?

There's no 'has to' about it. Nobody is forcing them to.

It's a PR exercise: damage limitation. They've lost a lot of advertising and this could impact future revenues massively (it's a commercial station) and any donating of any advertising profits up until the New Year will be less than they'd lose in the long run.

I agree....this move makes good business sense and it's motives are for the good of the radio station and it is not a selfless act....as you say it's damage limitation, they are looking out for their own ass's and not the nurses family.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by dorkfish87
They're doing it on their own, and right
U so. They're lucky they aren't locked up on treason charges. Last I checked impersonating the monarchy like that was treason.

impersonating
monarchy
treason

if it wasn't for the billions of brainless animals that worship these caricatures of human beings....this would all be too funny.

But it's not. Not funny anymore.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 07:17 AM
link   

I'd like to point out that normally in these prank situations that radio stations do. There must be consent from both sides to air the prank on the radio.
Otherwise it does not air.
But they aired it anyways. And someone committed suicide because of it.

So in a very real sense they are responsible for what happened.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Anon are about to dish out there own form of justice on these peeps and their asscoiates.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 07:26 AM
link   
can anyone please confirm...the nurse killed herself for...revealing pregnancy?

waiting.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 07:29 AM
link   
She killed herself because they were going to take her nursing license away. Can't say I approve of her actions but its still sad.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 07:32 AM
link   

She killed herself because they were going to take her nursing license away. Can't say I approve of her actions but its still sad.

Life is one...jobs are many.

Some people...

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 07:37 AM
link   
I agree. I'm in the states so I'm not one hundred percent on laws in the uk, but these people should have thought twice. I think we can all agree that the station is setting up the charity in an attempt to avoid the scandals this situation would cause.

Why do people even care about these self proclaimed royals? Diana was the last one worth her weight, the rest are just glorified welfare recipients.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by grey580

I'd like to point out that normally in these prank situations that radio stations do. There must be consent from both sides to air the prank on the radio.
Otherwise it does not air.

This is correct. And I would say better than 90% of prank calls heard on USA airwaves are staged or outright fakes. Some stations use professional actors, some use staff from sister stations in other markets, and some use their support staff.

I don't know why some believe radio is so honest and spontaneous, verses other forms of media.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by MarioOnTheFly

Life is one...jobs are many.

Some people...

Not in a financial crisis there's not. If she'd have lost her nursing licence then she would have been in serious trouble. For most nurses, it's a life-time vocation. It might have been all she'd ever known. She was a woman in her middle-40s with a family of teenage children. Starting a whole new career at the time of life would have been very difficult, as starting again, at the bottom, her age would have gone against her and any work-experience and skills she could offer wouldn't be much use outside of her nursing. In any new career, she'd have been competing with many, many people for jobs, people younger than her and people that could be paid less than her.

"Some people... " Yes, some people.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Merriman Weir

You can dance around it and "understand" all you want.

No job is worth your life. And what a sad life it is...defined by your job.

so without her job, this soul/person is worth nothing ? I guess her teenage daughters will do better no without her.

edit on 12-12-2012 by MarioOnTheFly because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by MarioOnTheFly

I don't think it's a question of her being defined by her job. I thinks it's more a question of losing your job, and your ability to get another job in the same field ever again. With children to feed and a competing job market it would have been very hard for this woman to find sustainable work.

Not to mention forevermore being known as that lady that screwed up that time.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by dorkfish87

Why do people even care about these self proclaimed royals? Diana was the last one worth her weight, the rest are just glorified welfare recipients.

This will forever remain a mystery to me. I understand that they proclaimed themselves, but that gazillion mindless Borg drones are worshiping them, is beyond me.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Here's some facts some of you may not be aware of:

1. The Nurse aka receptionist who suicided did NOT speak with the 2 DJs. She only put the call through to the ward.

2. The nurse who spoke to the 2 DJs is alive and well.

3. The nurse aka receptionist hung herself in the nurse's quarters

4. The deceased nurse left a suicide note for her family that did NOT mention the hoax incident at all

5. The UK media made a big point of telling the world this couple and their children were VERY close. The deceased nurse's name is Mrs Saldanha. Her husband's name is Mr Barboza. So where's Mr Saldanha and Mrs Barboza?

6. In the mean time, the Sydney radio station pays out AUD$500,000

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join