It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea launches rocket in defiance of critics

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   

North Korea launches rocket in defiance of critics

www.reuters.com

The North launched the rocket close to the first anniversary of the death of former leader Kim Jong-il and as elections loom in South Korea and Japan.

The launch, reported by South Korean media, was confirmed by South Korea's Defense Ministry.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Any idea where its going?
Will it be allowed to complete its mission?

We have been hearing of this was in the works, but didn't expect it to happen this soon. Isn't there enough things going on right now, do we really need this distraction...I don't think so.

Interesting.
X

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

also
"North Korea says the launch is aimed merely at putting a weather satellite in orbit. It is banned from conducting missile and nuclear-related tests under U.N. sanctions imposed after its 2006 and 2009 nuclear tests."

www.reuters.com...

edit on 11-12-2012 by Xcouncil=wisdom because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcouncil=wisdom

I always get nervous with this, living in Hawaii and being so close (relatively speaking).
First, the OR mall shooting, now this. My guard's up now.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 07:29 PM
link   
I was fully expecting breaking news of N Korean Rocket Shot Down

Hmmm maybe not
X

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Japan says N. Korea's rocket debris fell into waters off Philippines TOKYO, Dec. 12 (Yonhap) -- The Japanese government said Wednesday that a debris of North Korea's long-range rocket fell into waters off the Philippines at 10:05 a.m. after passing over Okinawa. Pyongyang fired off the rocket at 9:51 a.m., Seoul's defense ministry said earlier in the day. Japan didn't order its military to intercept the North Korean rocket, according to officials. Shortly after the North's defiant launch, the Japanese government convened an emergency meeting of security-related ministers.

Source

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Any idea where its going?

Most likely out to sea somewhere. If there is some error in the guidance or other systems it will create a huge backlash should it accidentally injure someone.

Or its purpose?

To test and confirm NK's ability to make rockets. No use having a stockpile of warheads if they are not going to work. It also get very expensive and detrimental losing satellites and astronauts when trying to enter space.

Will it be allowed to complete its mission?

It will establish a new precedent for another nation to directly interfere with a NK rocket test. Considering the political environment, such action would want to be sanctioned by the UN security Council with strong support by the General Assembly as NK will get very annoyed.
edit on 11-12-2012 by kwakakev because: spelling

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   
i don't think North Korea is a great nation etc, but

who really has the right to tell a sovereign nation that they are not allowed to test technology? this baffles me.

the hypocricy of nations who have this tech, telling ANYONE else that they cannot test it, or have it .. is just mind blowing

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcouncil=wisdom
I was fully expecting breaking news of N Korean Rocket Shot Down

Hmmm maybe not
X

I was thinking, is there any way they are being covertly shot down to make NK think they are always failing? sounds wacky but it makes sense in some ways :S

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by okamitengu
i don't think North Korea is a great nation etc, but

who really has the right to tell a sovereign nation that they are not allowed to test technology? this baffles me.

the hypocricy of nations who have this tech, telling ANYONE else that they cannot test it, or have it .. is just mind blowing

amen to that bro... I don't agree also with north korea but USA has done so many crimes its a joke to hear them acting all righteous... the good usa and the bad muslims and north koreans...

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   
They said that the launch will be delayed until the 29th dec due to technical issues, and surprise to everyone they launch it on time... I think this totally caught Japan by surprise, according to twitter Japan will not shoot it down...

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Mustard2243

I was thinking, is there any way they are being covertly shot down to make NK think they are always failing? sounds wacky but it makes sense in some ways :S

There are a lot of counter tactics, counter-counter tactics, counter-counter-counter-... tactics going on these days. With a lot of the growing technology digital based as well there is certainly capability and opportunity to interfere. However being a test, any problems from the flight plan will be intensely investigated. As a result there will be political fallout should external interference be detected, there will also be a tactical disadvantage as the new weaponry is exposed and countermeasures developed.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by lurksoften

That didn't take long...I wonder...thats alot of failures...

Shot down seems more likely this time yes?

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by kwakakev

I agree totally....and if the above link about it not making it is true...I'd totally wonder who it is that ensured its failure (yes, I know the best first answer is those that didn't make it well...however, they have had enough practice runs, they outta get it right ... eventually)

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   

That was close!!

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   

A rocket scientist is elevated to one of the smartest people around for a reason, controlling an explosion is no easy task with a relatively high body count and a lot of damage along the way. But as with everything in life, practice does make perfect. If NK is to eventually contribute to the space race then expect the tests to be going on for some time.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Well 5 days ago the US did move elements of anti-missile defensive ships to the area.

worldnews.nbcnews.com...

If the reports further up the page that say missile launches are prohibited under UN resolutions and that the launch indeed failed seconds after liftoff, then... connect the dots.

Wonder if we will ever get to see the camera tracking record of the moment of failure.

Not likely if it was shot down.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   
well if it landed near the Philippines there is a chance the us could recover the rocket and thus get intel on how far they have gotten exactly at least it seems no one was hurt by this

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   
It appears it was a successful launch:

news.msn.co.nz...

North Korea's long-range rocket launch appears to have been a success, with all three stages performing as planned, South Korea's Yonhap news agency says, citing military officials.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Surely an Un-American viewpoint.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join