It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lets talk Tomahawks.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Just as the thread states.
I have been researching not only a great, non-expensive Tomahawk to purchase, that would be in the BOB.
But, I have also been researching training on usage.
So far, here are just a couple sites I have found.
This site, reviews the listed "Top 10" Tomahawks.
www.brownsafe.com...
Seems that most are in the $200-$300 dollar price range. That is outside the price range I am willing to spend.
There are 2 I believe that are under $100. I will look into the S&W, over the Coldsteel, only because I am a fan of a full bodied metal tool, not metal attached to Fiberglass.
While the others in that $300 range are gorgeous looking, I can't justify $300 to sit in a bag.

From my research, functionality wise, the US Army issued Tomahawks to GIs during Vietnam. Also, I believe most guys currently out in the big sandbox are running their own.
Also, from my understanding, use, like depicted in the movies "The Patriot" and "Last of the Mohicans" is pretty true to form. Now, that is comparable to attacking someone, while they defend with a bayonet, or non firearm.

Please, anyone chime in.
Please, no "anti" this or that nonsense. If you want to talk out against weapons, start a different thread.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by macman

I made my tomahawk.

I fire hardened some wood and smashed some rocks together until I got the right shape and size.
The hardest part was tying it together because the top was pretty sharp.

I used what i had....shale.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by macman

These tactical Tomahawks are pretty sweet ... but remember, on price you get what you pay for.

OTOH, Amazon has some good prices on the Cold Steel Tomahawks.

www.amazon.com...=cm_cr_pr_product_top

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by SirMike

I paid nothing.
Its a good skill to have to make one....the Indians did it so I will learn from that and can replace mine for free when needed.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Honestly, a good hatchet is cheaper and has extra functionality. I can't justify a "hawk" and a hatchet in my BOB, and the hatchet just fits my mindset better.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I had my tomahawk made by a guy in Arizona. It's a replica of the tomahawk carried by Magua in the film Last Of The Mohicans. Fully functional, hand forged carbon steel head with a hardened cutting edge, and a maple haft with the unusual repeating cone grips. The original was modeled from a museum piece, the only difference being the length of the haft, the original being only half the size of the tomahawk in the film. It's full length is 24 inches.

I used to do small weapons training years ago, but I'm no expert. What I can say is though a longer haft offers more defensive capabilities, a longer reach and a more powerful strike. Gripping halfway up the haft for close fighting and quicker blows.

This piece cost me a lot as it's a custom made weapon, but it has to be one of my favorite possessions

edit on 7-12-2012 by seabhac-rua because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by seabhac-rua

Very nice.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

The Native Americans used to shape stones say for a celt or warclub then go find a suitable hickory sapling, split it, tie the stone in and wait for the tree to grow to shape to form the handle. My understanding is it took between 5 -7 years for this to happen. You would end up with a handle that would keep the stone head in regardless of what you did with it unless you broke the handle.i

Sinew is the best or rawhide strips soaked then tied on. As it dries it shrinks making the bindings even tighter.

As for a tomahawk in a BOB, too heavy for my tastes. Great to have for combat or chores but you got to figure they're 2 -3 pounds. If I run out of pistol ammo all I could do is throw rocks.

OP from your link I'd go with the first one (C.U.T.) I'd want one with a positive grip handle and the lanyard loop to make sure I never dropped it in combat.
edit on 7-12-2012 by Asktheanimals because: added comment

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by SirMike

The Cold Steel just doesn't appeal to me. I question the Steel head attached to a fiberglass shaft.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

I made a couple last year for the kids when we went out on a family camping trip.
They loved it.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by seabhac-rua

Yes, very nice.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

My tomahawk is never going to be in my bag either.
I did it to learn how to do it in case i am stuck.

Also because i am really REALLY cheap.

I didn't know they did that and it took so long to get the right wood,that is interesting to me.

edit on 7-12-2012 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Personally, I prefer this type of thing.

Framing hatchet

Stainless steel would be a good choice IMO.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by SirMike

there is a greater price to pay in its use...Can we very normal people with good intentions Live with the Horror of using one in battle?

Just throwing out that question.

OP: yes very sexy indeed

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   
This is what i bought a few months back on amazon for less than $35 with free shipping. The united cutlery m48 tactical ranger hawk axe. It also has a nice sheath and pocket for the free lensatic compass that comes with it. This blade is razor sharp and ive been completely happy with it and perfect weight in hand.

Ranger Axe

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 02:21 AM
link   
Those tactical ones are garbage for survival imo because they can be broken much easier especially if thrown and can't be fixed like a traditional one where you just carve a new handle with its own blade.

The Cold Steel Trail Hawk is great with tons of reviews and at a good price of $30 shipped free from Amazon.

www.amazon.com...
edit on 11-12-2012 by NLDelta9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 02:28 AM
link   
i bought a cold steel rifle mans hawk. it needed some tweeks. bought replacement hickory handles , threw the head in the fireplace and burnt all the paint off, that also removed that little "tawain" stamp from the side. sanded a new handle until it was the perfect fit and stained it. it now looks like a million bucks. i dont have a sheath , but made a belt ring out of some bare 12 wire. if ya break a handle off , its alot easier to make one for a hawk than it is for a hatchet , well for me it is.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by NLDelta9

I don't know. The Smith and Wesson one is a full steel hawk, full tang with just rubber grips.

It looks promising.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   
I am a huge fan of any weapon that needs no ammo.
Personally, a tomahawk is just a great addition to anyones arsenal.
I have a few and am waiting on another...

But I recently got a decent, inexpensive, hand-forged 'hawk from 3 Rivers Archery.
It comes with a Hickory handle that can be changed if broken, a good quality.
I'm not a huge fan of all steel 'hawks...or cheap knock-offs like Cold steel.
Although I wouldn't mind having a true Vietnam tomahawk.
If you can get a tomahawk that is easy to master throwing, get it.
They are fun, you can actually hunt and kill with them, and very useful.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by macman
reply to post by NLDelta9

I don't know. The Smith and Wesson one is a full steel hawk, full tang with just rubber grips.

It looks promising.

It could still break and then be worthless,I sure wouldn't trust throwing it. Plus it weighs more than two of the ones I mentioned and would be even more if you just packed the hawk with no handle and made one when needed.

Originally posted by havok
I am a huge fan of any weapon that needs no ammo.
Personally, a tomahawk is just a great addition to anyones arsenal.
I have a few and am waiting on another...

But I recently got a decent, inexpensive, hand-forged 'hawk from 3 Rivers Archery.
It comes with a Hickory handle that can be changed if broken, a good quality.
I'm not a huge fan of all steel 'hawks...or cheap knock-offs like Cold steel.
Although I wouldn't mind having a true Vietnam tomahawk.
If you can get a tomahawk that is easy to master throwing, get it.
They are fun, you can actually hunt and kill with them, and very useful.

Just because they are not made by hand doesn't mean they are cheap.I mean come on, these are pretty primitive tools all it takes is decent steel.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join