It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I was just wondering how the ads are chosen for us?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
SO the ads, I know this subject comes up now and again, but..

I was wondering just how they are chosen?

Like what of my information besides my Ip is used to determine my ads?

I was looking into Gundam episodes in Google, and low and behold, a gundam ad comes up on ATS. I remember replying to some posts about bible scripture some time ago, and low and behold, a bible study thing comes up.

Are these things tailored to each user? or is it just based on our region?

What user information does ATS use when selling ad space?

I have NO PROBLEM with the ads. If ATS makes a buck and can maintain the site , then fine. No big deal.

Just curious

edit on 7-12-2012 by zedVSzardoz because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by zedVSzardoz

well what happens is that when you join the site, the MIB who are assigned to monitor you, pass on relevant info to the owners and then they tailor ads specifically to you.

Also have you noticed the Black Helicopters yet?

Oh actually just saw, you need to be here 3 months to get those.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

ah,

no but in all seriousness. I have noticed too many coincidences. Does my history somehow get communicated from Google to possible ad space buyers?

Google is trying to market things like that, or wants to eventually at least. Is it doing so already?

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Google Adsense uses your browsing history for targetted ads.

www.quantcast.com...

Here's the link foudn at the bottom of every ATS page for Adchoices that explains the process.

~Tenth

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Also I see the same ad sometimes no matter the site I go to. I notice because it is a really annoying jingle bells song. I hear it at least 4 times a day on very different types of random sites. How can this one company have that much coverage?

They have to just buy all ad space for my region. How do they then get it onto my particular screen? I know I use Google for most things, do they somehow send that information to the ad space buyers?

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

thank you!

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Na, I'm just messin'

As TTTP said, it uses your searches and so on... most sites with adverts work the same way nowadays.

Just one of those things I guess.

There are mozilla add-ons that you can use on other sites to stop this happening, however disable them on ATS, because they are prohibited.

You should use

Ghostery
Adblocker plus
No Script

That should sort you out.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   

The answer to your question is you select the ads you see based on your search keywords and browsing habits.

The ad networks have adverts on hundreds of thousands of sites, if you go to multiple sites that utilize the same networks you'll receive ads that mirror what they "think" you are interested in. It works like this, when you go to site A (Anime Site) they place a cookie on your browser that recognizes you were browsing "Product X" or that you were searching for "Product Y". When you go to site B (ATS or any other site the same network has a deal with) the network will show you ads for "X' or "Y".

It's called re-targeting technology and is designed to avoid showing a 33 year old male advertisements for lip stick and mascara. It is a bit wondrous (or creepy depending on your perspective) the first time you notice it but it's nothing more than a few lines of code that identify your browser and cache what you've been browsing. There's zero personally identifiable information and the "profiles" they create about user "f65?X%44ezr5" can be pretty comical.

The companies that collate this data have websites you can review your current "profile" (the profile starts over if you delete cookies or the cookie time limit has expired). I went to one of these sites a few weeks ago and it thought I was a 34 - 39 year old female who is likely to buy a luxury car.

You can learn about it by clicking on the blue "Ad Choices" logo found on legit sites like ATS (It's down on the bottom left of every page).

If you want more info, a quick search on "Digital Advertising Re-Targeting" will give you all the information you could ever want about how it works.

Springer...
edit on 12-7-2012 by Springer because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Additional to the above:

If you are getting some annoying or 'dodgy' adverts coming through - which does occasionally happen - a good place to let us know is in this thread: Worst Ads Ever

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   

i took a screen shot for you of collision for chrome

this are all the companies alerted to you presence on ats,
if any of these companies are on other websights you visit cross web sight meta data can be used to spy er serve you ads depending on sights visited searches ect
xploder

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   
thank you all for the help.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Cookies.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Well I keep seeing ads for ladies high heel shoes

I have no idea what that says about my browsing habits.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   
can a mod u2u me please
edit on 8-12-2012 by haven123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by studio500

cheers iv just spat my drink everywere

u got a little fettish on the go

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   
you can opt-out of targeted advertising while still displaying ads to support websites

www.networkadvertising.org...

new topics

top topics

join