It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Minimum wage in Detroit, 7.40$ WHY?????

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 07:34 AM
link   
People wonder why Detroit is bad. Not only has the government failed us ( you can put a man on the moon but you can't rebuild detroit) But the wages in this city are harsh. I find it interesting that the low wages an hour 7.40 is in a industrial based city that will try to hire any worker on a low income wage in order to achieve more products or production with the wage of a fraction of the current cost of living.

What is the wages in New york? 9$ something. The reason why I bring this up is to show how a city that has been infiltyrated by crimes, gangs and murder will demonstrate the current social issues that I have brought up to society to demonstrate an issue. For example, a suicidal teenager will act up or threaten to kill himself in order to gain the attention of the parent. In this form, the teenager is Detroit and the parent is government.

People in this city looks like Haggard $h*% being forced to work either long hours or double(triple) jobs in order to make due with bills. Not expensive bills but average bills such as apartment rent. The cost of living is on the rise and then you wonder why people in the urban city all have EBT cards... Yet they are suppose to accept the fact that 7.40$ will make there life change.

I am currently working as a salvation bell ringer. been out of work for 1.8 years. Wage is 8$. In new york bell ringers are making an average of 10-12$... I believe more towards the 10$ area. Then they wonder why bell ringers in detroit aren't dancing like they do in new york on TV.

edit on 7-12-2012 by Jordan River because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 07:51 AM
link   
It's called comparable worth, the same reason a part time politician makes more than a police man or firefighter that puts his or her life on the line every day. The public has done it to themselves you shouldn't be looking to the government to bail you out or fix the issue, be the change you want they say right? The simple fact is people settle for low wages without a fight in the end you get what you put in. Not saying it's right but it is what it is. And as far as looking at New York figures I believe you are talking about the city and not the state, two different worlds and the cost of living I would imagine is drastically different as well. Detroit had it's hayday things have changed, jobs have gone over seas etc due to unions raping corporations etc... Many many factors at play here.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jordan River
I find it interesting that the low wages an hour 7.40 is in a industrial based city that will try to hire any worker on a low income wage in order to achieve more products or production with the wage of a fraction of the current cost of living.

Atlanta(Georgia) is $7.25, so it is lower then in Detroit.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Actually you are wrong. The minimum wage in Michigan is $7.40/hr which is higher than the federal minimum wage. New York's minimum wage is currently only $7.25/hr.

Just curious, but tell me what raising the minimum wage would do? I can tell you right now that raising the minimum wage might make everyone temporarily happy, but in reality all it would do is just raise the price on everything and you would be right back where you started being a minimum wage earner.

The only way to get ahead is through job advancement either by furthering your education, staying in a position long enough to move up the ladder, or learning a skill/trade.
edit on 12/7/2012 by SpaDe_ because: ....

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpaDe_
Actually you are wrong. The minimum wage in Michigan is $7.40/hr which is higher than the federal minimum wage. New York's minimum wage is currently only $7.25/hr. .

Thanks for clearing that up. I really thought it was 9$. but how come New york will let this happen when you pay 6$ for a street hotdog

Gaining an education doesn't work nowadays. all jobs filled and i could go on about other stuff. blah blah blah

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Just curious, but tell me what raising the minimum wage would do? I can tell you right now that raising the minimum wage might make everyone temporarily happy, but in reality all it would do is just raise the price on everything and you would be right back where you started being a minimum wage earner.

There's this commercial that keeps coming up on Hulu for some foreign loan pseudo-charity.

It tells the story of a poor woman in Guatemala I think who cant afford the $750 college tuition.

We're supposed to give money to support her loan.

So when that $750 tuition is now being met by more students the schools bump it up to $1000 then $5000 and in a few short years Guatemalan students are looking at universities charging average annual salaries for a single semester of tuition.

More money doesnt mean a higher standard of living when the costs of everything rise in kind.

Too many people dont seem to get that.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Here in Ohio the federally mandated minimum wage is $7.35. If you make tips its around $2.90. Overall its slave labor. I make $9 an hour working in an office building and its not enough to support myself. After taxes I bring home roughly 1100 a month and I don't even have health insurance. If I did I'd be bringing home under 1000 a month. I hear so much to just be thankful I have a job, yet I feel as if its an ignorant statement. I'd be thankful for being self reliant if I had the means to do so. I'm still saving up for a vehicle but I might as well be saving up to continue my life into slavery. I don't like this routine and so many people who have been stuck in it for years have a hard time grasping the situation my young generation faces. Many realize there is no ultimate purpose to working and I think to our future and wonder how many of us will stop the cycle and live truly free without reliance on governments and corporations. It is possible and this is what I strive for. It's the only thing that keeps my will to live around.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by jvm222
Here in Ohio the federally mandated minimum wage is $7.35. If you make tips its around $2.90. Overall its slave labor. I make $9 an hour working in an office building and its not enough to support myself. After taxes I bring home roughly 1100 a month and I don't even have health insurance. If I did I'd be bringing home under 1000 a month. I hear so much to just be thankful I have a job, yet I feel as if its an ignorant statement. I'd be thankful for being self reliant if I had the means to do so. I'm still saving up for a vehicle but I might as well be saving up to continue my life into slavery. I don't like this routine and so many people who have been stuck in it for years have a hard time grasping the situation my young generation faces. Many realize there is no ultimate purpose to working and I think to our future and wonder how many of us will stop the cycle and live truly free without reliance on governments and corporations. It is possible and this is what I strive for. It's the only thing that keeps my will to live around.

So sad to hear that, things really are bad, and getting worse in the US of A it seems =/

Perhaps you may consider changing things up and if you don't have any commitments try traveling and maybe moving somewhere else that fires you up? Money is (ir)relevant is the goal =b

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Minimum wage is not, nor was ever, intended to be the sole income provider for a family. If you have a a family and the best you can do is minimum wage then you need to pick yourself up and do something with your life. I earned more than minimum wage when I was 18 years old. In college I worked in a warehouse and made $12 an hour + benefits. I cannot fathom how someone (who has work ethic and is actually trying) can only get a min wage job.

If you are trying to support a family on minimum wage then here is the bad news: YOU are the problem, NOT minimum wage.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Actually you are wrong. The minimum wage in Michigan is $7.40/hr which is higher than the federal minimum wage. New York's minimum wage is currently only $7.25/hr. .

Thanks for clearing that up. I really thought it was 9$. but how come New york will let this happen when you pay 6$ for a street hotdog

Gaining an education doesn't work nowadays. all jobs filled and i could go on about other stuff. blah blah blah

The price for a hotdog being $6 in New York just shows what the market will bear. If the prices were too high the vendors would either go out of business or lower prices due to lack of sales.

As far as getting a better education not working, you need to stop looking at education as it is portrayed by the media and the general public. Educating yourself doesn't necessarily have to come from an institution. You can learn a trade by being an apprentice to a trade master where you are actually paid to learn the trade and you get hands on experience while doing it.

The problem many people today have is that they are afraid to get their hands dirty. Most people want to go to college to become lawyers, doctors, computer programmers, and so on. The truth is there are plenty of these people out there already and the jobs in these fields are getting harder and harder to find simply because everyone wants big bucks with no hard labor anymore.

What everyone is overlooking and they are getting harder to find is good tradesmen/women. People have lost interest in learning trades such as mechanics, electricians, carpenters, plumbers, hvac, tile setters, flooring installers, and so on. These are the people that will always have jobs because things are always going to need to be repaired/replaced.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
In California minimum wage is $8/hr. With the cost of living here, that is nothing.

San Francisco has it's own minimum wage currently $9.92/hr, going up to $10.24 starting 01 Jan. The cost of living there is insane.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Detroit really isn't that cheap. Also, factor in 3% city income tax on top of state and federal.

Making a huge salary in such a burnt-out, 3rd world city is bad enough.

Minimum wage in Detroit? The answer is MOVE.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Minimum wage is for minimum work. No skills, no education, no big payday. Get skills, get an education, get a big payday.

It's as simple as that. Sheesh.

/TOA

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by The Old American

But the skills people get paid massive amounts for are actually useless to society for the most part. A CEO or a stockbroker should not, on a purely objective level, make more money than a mechanic or a computer technician, or even a basic manufacturing worker.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   
why would companies pay people more, when they can get government to foot the bill for their workers housing, medical care, food stamps, education, etc.....1....you keep your profits high, and 2...you have taxpayers pay to support them.....simple economics, really.
here in california alone, it was reported that people who work at wal-mart are subsidized with 38 million dollars of taxpayer money for additional living expenses
edit on 8-12-2012 by jimmyx because: addition

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   
The fact you get paid $8/hr to ring a bell all day doesn't exactly invite sympathy. A monkey could do this. If it hasn't dawned on you that maybe you should find some useful skills that are marketable, then you are part of the actual problem. The world doesn't owe you a living. You need to become resourecful and find alternative means.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   

OK. Now compare rents in NYC to Detroit. See any difference? You are better off making a lower wage in Detroit than face sky high NYC rents.

Gaining an education doesn't work nowadays. all jobs filled and i could go on about other stuff. blah blah blah[

Sure it does, just not for English majors. People do the social science gig and cry boo hoo I can't find a job. Of course not. It's because you were brain dead when you chose a major! Study chemical emgineering (Yeah, you gotta do the math) and you'll have multiple job offers on graduation. Better yet, got to a voc school and learn to become a cracker-jack welder. You'll never be out of work because that service is in demand. Yeah, you might have to leave Detroit, but I'm thinking tha's a good thing.
edit on 12/8/2012 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Goldcurrent
The fact you get paid $8/hr to ring a bell all day doesn't exactly invite sympathy. A monkey could do this. If it hasn't dawned on you that maybe you should find some useful skills that are marketable, then you are part of the actual problem. The world doesn't owe you a living. You need to become resourecful and find alternative means.

1.5 million college grads or 53% are unemployed or underemployed. i guess all of those are your bell-ringing monkeys.
newsone.com...

the kids are getting the education that companies keep saying is lacking...it's just an excuse to pay them as little as possible, or to bring in (H1B visa) workers from other countries, and shift the blame onto the american graduates themselves.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   
min wage is like 7.50 in new york.

it is BS though, thats not even a living wage unless you're renting a single bedroom which still runs you like 600 a month

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler

OK. Now compare rents in NYC to Detroit. See any difference? You are better off making a lower wage in Detroit than fact sky high NYC rents.

Gaining an education doesn't work nowadays. all jobs filled and i could go on about other stuff. blah blah blah[

Sure it does, just not for English majors. People do the social science gig and cry boo hoo I can;t find a job. Of course not. It's because you were brain dead when you chose a major! Study chemical emgineering (Yeah, you gotta do the math) and you'll have multiple job offers on graduation. Better yet, got to a voc school and learn to become a cracker-jack welder. You'll never be out of work because that service is in demand. Yeah, you might have to leave Detroit, but I'm thinking tha's a good thing.

engineering degrees?....
usatoday30.usatoday.com...
we have plenty, the comapnies are not hiring

top topics

<<   2 >>

join