It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is it impossible to get recent pictures from voyager 1 or 2 ?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by JimOberg

I am sorry but, WTH are you talking about?

EDIT:
already been done? Are you talking about the picture I already mentioned in the OP taken in the 90s?

Reading comprehension bub ..... the question was why there wasn't a more recent picture, which people in less condescending tones already explained....

You are talking to someone that would sit and watch NASA TV for hours and look at images of empty mission control chairs listening to boring conversations about check lists and mundane crap just for the off chance they would show images from orbit or a launch or something from ISS....

I wouldn't like your help since it would come from someone in an emotional ghetto.

edit on 9-12-2012 by zedVSzardoz because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildespace
reply to post by cartesia

Cartesia and Korg Trinity, gravity of any body goes on forever but decreases with distance (the inverse square law). At some distance from the Sun, its gravity becomes so weak that gravity from other stars is more dominant. The sphere of gravitational influence of any body is called the Hill sphere. The Sun's Hill sphere extends to about 2 light years.

The Oort cloud is thought to extend out to about 1 light year, and I consider this to be the physical boundary of the Solar System. It will take the Voyagers thousands of years to reach it.

Exactly what I was saying in the beginning. Thanks for backing me up there Wildespace. Thought I was going to have an argument about something so obvious.

Thanks

Korg.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 05:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by PaperbackWriter
I say pffft to the whole thing.
I was reading articles about this just the other day saying how it runs off "radioactive power" that amounts to
460watts. Heck your hair dryer requires 1500Watts.
Then it went on to say that that it broadcasts at something like 160watts.

I think most radio stations that I can't pick up after dark are broadcasting at some 1000-5000 watts!
Yet miraculously the Voyager can defeat the Exosphere radio interference and the Ionosphere which would tend to bounce the waves back out into the solar system, and be picked up across the entire distance with a mere less than 200watts??
It doesn't make sense to me.

So if your radio receiver looks something like this you have a point

As it doesn't you don't!
edit on 10-12-2012 by wmd_2008 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 05:53 AM
link   
reply to post by wmd_2008

No. But, you still have not satisfied the fact of this weak signal being completely scattered due to the highly charged particles of the Exosphere rendering it to static. Or being bounced back out by the Ionosphere.
Or the Earth being in the wrong place in it's orbit and completely missing the signal when it arrived.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 06:03 AM
link   
Furthermore, if that were the case then it would have been great for the Voyager to be equipped with a 1000 watts so that we could all hear them broadcasting the Ohio Players.

Instead of meaningless chirps from somewhere near the outer bands of the solar system.
Yeah, having that antenna would ensure it, right?
edit on 10-12-2012 by PaperbackWriter because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   
If I recall correctly the transmitters are 23 watts.
The dish antenna on the craft gives a sbustantially higher ERP (effective radiated power). Possibly the 160 watts you mentioned.

The Earths ionosphere will not scatters the incomming signal because the frequency used is too high. Also the angle of incidence is not great enough.

But as I stated in an earlier post the aproximate power output of the generator is down to less than 267 watts.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 04:40 AM
link   
reply to post by PaperbackWriter

First of all that was a random pic of a radio telescope dish and not even that large!

Second more power means more weight means more problems to solve.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join