It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "I Told You So" Thread You May Never Read!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by zedVSzardoz

Dude perhaps you failed to read the OP.. which isn't about is it a correct mayan date but how the he/she feels personally about a date that in OUR culture has had significance placed on it for along time. There are plenty of threads around to go argue the exact date,calendar, time etc...

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by fourthmeal

what cultures predict this date?

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by gnosticagnostic

no, it was made up in the late 80´s and early 90´s. 2, decades..... we have had to chew this is not enough to define our culture.

It is hype started by doomsday cults. Sorry. It is what we make of it. Nothing more.

like 2001.....y2k, ect.

The 2012 phenomenon comprises a range of eschatological beliefs according to which cataclysmic or transformative events will occur on 21 December 2012. This date is regarded as the end-date of a 5,125-year-long cycle in the Mesoamerican Long Count calendar. Various astronomical alignments and numerological formulae have been proposed as pertaining to this date, though none have been accepted by mainstream scholarship.
en.wikipedia.org...

eschatological

es·cha·tol·o·gy (sk-tl-j)
n.
1. The branch of theology that is concerned with the end of the world or of humankind.
2. A belief or a doctrine concerning the ultimate or final things, such as death, the destiny of humanity, the Second Coming, or the Last Judgment.

www.thefreedictionary.com...

EDIT:
You can bet that someone will troll this date to make something happen. I can think of a few reasons off the top of my head how social programming might benefit from all the New age nonsense people are ripe and willing to follow blindly if something just so happens to occur on that date....

edit on 2-12-2012 by zedVSzardoz because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I theorize that TPTB will act by using that date as a convenient excuse. Then, they will provide help for the damage they cause, leaving us without a clue that they were the ones responsible for the "apocalypse."

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by honested3

It is easier to say nothing will happen and I told you so, after the fact...because if it does happen there will likely not be any ability to say ooops I was wrong ...the sht did hit the fan.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   

LOL again that has nothing to do with the OP who is expressing how she feels about it... And you are entitled to your opinions as well... however I think your a bit of an attention whore because you have posted over and over again and discounted your own sources. At first it was the year 2085, ( which is mathematically incorrect as well because tech it would put it 2087 if your going to not convert the dates.. yes there is a thread about that too) and then oh... it's a made up date that took hold in the 1980's.. That's an interesting one i'm sure you will post other sources for the again dismiss that theory too... Honestly your trying a little to hard here when that's not even the topic of debate. So great... you don't think anything will happen 2012.. kudos to you move along you're not going to convince everyone else on the planet... Just feel good that your in the majority

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by zedVSzardoz

what cultures predict this date?

Many Ancient Cultures Predicted 2012: Not Just The Mayans
hotbedinfo.com...

Chinese, Hopi, Hindus, Aztec

Furthermore, it wasn’t the “end of the world” Armageddon they were predicting, they predicted the end of the Age of Pisces and the beginning of the Age of Aquarius. What that means is whatever you want it to mean.

I believe something has already happened and will continue to happen...there is a change in the magnetic energy that has been going on for many years, along with this is a "global warming" effect that has been blamed on everything but the truth. The atmosphere above the Earth has been protected by this ozone layer, due to the change in the magnetic energy(pole reversal) the protection has been weakening, it is not a depletion, nor is it the first time it has happened. This has caused many changes in the weather and has an affect on the Earth in many ways. We are part of that energy...so we are affected as well. The consciousness is being increased. The Mayan did not predict a "doomsday", they said this will be a rebirth, they are right. Our Earth will change, whether or not we want it to and this is a good thing. Raising the "collective consciousness" of all souls on this planet to a higher level of spiritual being and being prepared for these changes has major benefits. When the major changes happen it will be necessary for all nations to be as one, the survival of our race depends on the cooperation of those that survive any such changes. The survival of our race is not what is the most important aspect of this though, the ability for your soul to ascend to the next dimension is of greater importance, this is why it does not matter what day this happens. Every day should be treated the same, like it is your last on Earth, for that can happen at anytime. BAW33

edit on 12/2/2012 by BrokenAngelWings33 because: Edit

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Thanks for proving my point!
I'm glad we could work together.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   

though none have been accepted by mainstream scholarship.

Not discredited or shown to be false...just not accepted.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   
How does this keep happening???

Why do people continue to say the Mayan said "it will be the end of the world"???

I've never seen that and I've never seen anyone say they said that. It's only said by debunkers, so yeah, good job, they didn't say it. So I guess that means it won't happen??

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by gnosticagnostic

So many cultures, ancient cultures that is, have put significance on this date

no

1 did, and we are wrong. The Mayan year was not 365 days. Their colander ends in 2085....and they don't say it ends, it resets.

the word is spelled Calendar and yes it has been converted from their 360 days to our 365 days... and the date has been confirmed many times over as December 21, 2012. Education isn't a bad thing.

The Mayan Calendar only had 260 days, not 360. If you need to correct people, correct them right.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Danowski

uh huh... here we are talking about the LONG count... so please inform yourself that a tun=360 days... there are about innumerable webpages dedicated to it...

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   
"Apocalypse" has more than than one meaning.

A great revealing.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Danowski

Originally posted by gnosticagnostic

no

1 did, and we are wrong. The Mayan year was not 365 days. Their colander ends in 2085....and they don't say it ends, it resets.

the word is spelled Calendar and yes it has been converted from their 360 days to our 365 days... and the date has been confirmed many times over as December 21, 2012. Education isn't a bad thing.

The Mayan Calendar only had 260 days, not 360. If you need to correct people, correct them right.

Days extended as our orbit around the Sun has changed and extended.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I read the whole thing and this reads simply like a preemptive "I told you so" I told you so thread. That isnt a very amazing prediction when people stop to consider that not everybody fell for the hype.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   

1 did, and we are wrong. The Mayan year was not 365 days. Their calendar ends in 2085....and they don't say it ends, it resets.

The Mayan calendar in question is the long count and is not a year calendar. The calendar is believed to end in 2012 due to the GMT correlation. The Mayans do not say it resets.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   

So many cultures, ancient cultures that is, have put significance on this date, deep down many of us feel something about that date

Only 1 culture refers to that date and that is the Mayans and they put little significance to the date.

I am thinking something along the lines of 3 days of darkness, or visitations, or spiritual manifestations.

None of that will happen. The long count will proceed into the next baktun without notice.

Charlatans will continue to steal money from the wallets of the gullible using some other hoax.

Now, I do find myself waking up lately the past weeks, waking up and realizing there is something coming, something that will happen, something I do not understand, something none of us will.

There is all sorts of anticipation happening. It will be a let down to some and others won't care since there will be some other hoax to latch on to.

Again, this isnt anything compared to Y2K and the such, no, this is something none of us here can claim any experience on, which is why I believe we need to listen to our hearts over our heads.

Sorry, but the noise from the media was louder about Y2K. The destruction of the world by the great alignment of 5-5-00 was bigger. The millennium predictions of 2000 and 2001 were big, too. These events seem smaller today and show that the wacko ideas of 2012 are soon to be forgotten.

2012 is going to be another wacko idea filed in circular file 13 pretty soon.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   

no

1 did, and we are wrong. The Mayan year was not 365 days. Their calendar ends in 2085....and they don't say it ends, it resets.

even if their calendar wasn't 365 days... they didn't just count the years until 2012, they counted the days and converted it to our modern calendar.

that is how they came to the 12/21/12 date

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   

60 days.....60 years....yeah, I don't think its 2012 either...

The issue here is differences of opinion on the correlation between the long count and Gregorian calendars. The most commonly accepted correlation is the GMT. There are many other proposals including the Fuls correlation which puts the date out hundreds of years.

The 2085 claim came from Sitchin and his Niburu

Sitchin is a fraud and nothing he states can be trusted.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   

I'd like to calmly remind folks that it isn't just the Mayan calendar that places importance upon this date. MANY cultures / religions / belief systems put the winter solstice of this year as a time of great importance.

Debunkers cannot debate this, but what they can do is take one or two or a few of the cultures and discredit them. It is then up to you to decide, I suppose.

This is completely false. There are hoaxers that claim that the Egyptians, Hopis, etc. mention 2012. They do not.

If you have something to point to then please show us.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join