It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Europe’s first stealth killer drone “nEUROn” makes maiden flight"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   

On Dec. 1, the “nEUROn”, the technology demonstrator for a European UCAV (Unmanned Combat Aerial Vehicle), made its first flight from Dassault Aviation company’s flight test base in Istres, France. The nEUROn, a project involving France, Italy, Sweden, Spain, Switzerland and Greece, had rolled out on Jan. 20, 2012, after five years of design, development, and static testing.

With a length of 10 meters, 12.5 meters of wingspan and an empty weight of 5 tons, the first stealth combat drone developed in Europe has a shape that reminds that of the American X-47B. But, unlike the U.S. killer robot that the U.S. Navy is preparing to launch from aircraft carrier, the nEURONn is only a full-scale technology demonstrator (powered by a Rolls-Royce Turbomeca “Adour” engine) for an UCAV and will not be produced in series.

[url=http://theaviationist.com/2012/12/01/neuron-first-flight/#.ULpUU9dWFFc]http://theaviationist.com/2012/12/01/neuron-first-flight/#.ULpUU9dWFFc[/ur l]

A lot of new drones popping up lately, question is though how many of these are going to survive the cutbacks that are/ will occur throughout the western world whilst we try to salvage our economies?

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by solidshot

Neuron was never meant to be produced in large numbers. It's being used as a proof of concept/technology demonstrator, and will have subsequent aircraft built that are similar in design and use some of the same technology, but this will probably be the only airframe built.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   
So typical European project then that will cost the taxpayers a fortune, to achieve the same results that are already being achieved by equipment that is already in production..

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   

No, they are using Neuron to proof the design, and to develop the technology. The US, Russia, and just about everyone else does the same thing.

The designs after Neuron finishes testing will take advantage of the lessons learned by flying and designing Neuron. This is the first attempt by anyone in Europe (allied nation) to develop any kind of stealth aircraft, so they have a learning curve ahead of them. This is actually a much cheaper way for them to develop stealth than building a ton of airframes, and finding out they did something wrong along the way. This way they have a limited number of airframes (1-3 possibly), and can do all their testing for later designs.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by solidshot
So typical European project then that will cost the taxpayers a fortune, to achieve the same results that are already being achieved by equipment that is already in production..

Yet if its success can convince a country to go with Dassault in the future, the income and the jobs saved/created will easily be worth it. No reason to be so cynical. Truth is, the US x47 is not for sale, but a drone based on this or incorporating the lessons learned here is available to anyone who has the money. So again, how is this a waste?

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by steppenwolf86

The X-47 is doing the same mission as Neuron will. It won't go into large scale production either. They only using it to develop the technology before the UCLASS program is built. This way they know that they can fly a UCAV off a carrier deck with no problems, and they find any areas that need to be improved with UCLASS.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   

It looks like every other drone

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Another link with pics : www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/europe-e nters-stealth-club-with-neuron-first-flight-379672/
edit on 1-12-2012 by Bennogob because: Bad link

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by AmberLeaf

There are only so many designs that can do each mission. The best design for a stealth UAV is a flying wing type design, so they're going to look similar to each other. Especially since different countries are now cooperating with each other on design and build. This particular one will flight test in France, before heading to weapons and radar testing in Sweden and Italy respectively. The design came from France, Italy, Sweden, Greece, Switzerland, and Spain.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   
I thought TARANIS was the first one in Europe ?
www.youtube.com...

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by scrog77

Taranis hasn't flown yet. They were supposed to fly last year, but it's been slipped and slipped again, and now they're looking at early 2013.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Germany made the first stealth drones.

US brought the scientists to the states and tried to continue the path.

Check the documentary called Hitlers Stealth Fighter.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
reply to post by scrog77

Taranis hasn't flown yet. They were supposed to fly last year, but it's been slipped and slipped again, and now they're looking at early 2013.
It certainly has flown, the locals have seen it and didn't know what it was so they reported the sightings as UFO's thinking it was alien, haha. I suppose your speaking in the official capacity.
edit on 1-12-2012 by scrog77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by scrog77

Not according to BAE and the MOD it hasn't.

A fully developed Taranis air vehicle is capable of delivering weapons to a battlefield in another continent with a high level of autonomy. In July 2010, the MoD unveiled the fully-developed Taranis prototype. The first flight trials of the unmanned combat air vehicle (UCAV) will start in 2013.

www.airforce-technology.com...

What they saw was the Raven which is similar in design and has flown.

www.thelivingmoon.com...

edit on 12/1/2012 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by scrog77
It certainly has flown, the locals have seen it and didn't know what it was so they reported the sightings as UFO's thinking it was alien, haha. I suppose your speaking in the official capacity.

It certainly has not, official or otherwise. When flying does begin it will be done from the remote Woomera facility in Australia where BAE does its secret stuff, not over Coronation Street.

Incidentally, the UK and France have signed an agreement to develop a UCAV between them that will benefit from Taranis and nEUROn experience. I have no idea where this leaves the other countries that developed nEUROn.

Originally posted by mideast
Germany made the first stealth drones.

US brought the scientists to the states and tried to continue the path.

Check the documentary called Hitlers Stealth Fighter.

Horten aircraft were not drones, they were piloted, also the programme named was sensationalist and inaccurate in several respects.

edit on 1-12-2012 by waynos because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Ok thanx for that guys, but I did see it somewhere that it has flown from the BAE site, and that it has flown, but not in an official sense.I'm sure there was a link to the info, I'll try to find it...

Edit....Sorry, it was in the Youtube comments section..But, maybe they did see it I don't know, take a look. I get the feeling that TARANIS has flown but maybe I'm wrong..They did the same with the F-117, so I think it's a possibility. You don't always get to hear of things secret untill they are made public.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   
First flight pictures

Some pretty pictures of the first flight.

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 03:59 AM
link   
Im going to bump this thread.

I few years ago at the Ashes Test in Adelaide, I bumped into an unmistakable Warton contingent (no comment) and we never talked Taranis, just about home and football.

Weeks later the first flight reports come out.

I have been led to think that the Warton guys have been over here lately, maybe still are, but WTF is nEROn doing?

Genuine question before I google stuff, BAES made Raptor which proved some Stealthy stuff, what have the French done? Or the Germans, Italians, Spanish.....

I just don't trust the French.

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 05:13 AM
link   
I thought Taranis got scooped into Neron or are they going to come out with a whole new platform now?
edit on 28-2-2016 by Blackfinger because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 09:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger

They are in a holding pattern right now.

Paris and London decided to go it together on a stealthy UCAV, but when Taranis' latest testing was done, the pols seemed to have stalled. They agreed to make a decision on the joint project, but its not officially happened yet.

I do bet BAe and Dassault are chewing on what to do, but have yet to lay up the composites for it. Tooling being as expensive as it is.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join