It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The World's Best Stew

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Okay, maybe not the world's best, but this recipe makes enough food to feed a dozen people
or more. I usually prepare it when relatives visit, or I need to feed many people with little money.

The bonus? This is really good, it is really easy, and it is really cheap.

Ingredients:
1 pound (2kg) ground beef (80/20 fat content)
2 12oz (350ml) cans of stewed tomatoes
1 large can of spaghetti sauce (24 ounces or 700ml) approximate
1 large onion
1 can of french cut green beans
1 can of corn
1 can of mild Rotel (diced tomatoes with green chiles)
6 or more Russet potatoes (depending on size)
Garlic powder, salt, pepper, dried parsley flakes
2 1/2 gallon stew pot (ten liter)
water

Preparation:

Peel and cube potatoes into bite size pieces and set aside

Chop onion, and place onion, ground beef, salt, pepper and a generous amount of garlic
into stew pot and cook until meat is slightly browned

Add the tomato ingredients (mash the stewed tomatoes by hand to break them up a little),
green beans, corn, potatoes, parsley and more garlic.

Add hot water to your preferred consistency (I usually add about four or five cups--your
2 1/2 gallon pot will be nearly full by now)

Bring to first sign of a boil (do not let stew boil) reduce heat to lowest possible level,
cover and cook for 45 minutes

Notes:
The spaghetti sauce I describe in the ingredients is the large can
(about two pounds) that generally costs about a dollar fifty or less, and comes
in many varieties; Regular, Italian, Mushroom, Cheese, etc.---your preference

Yellow or white onion (I use both--I like onion)

Diced tomatoes with green chiles (store brand) can be substituted for Rotel
I use LOTS of powdered garlic (at least a heaping tablespoon altogether)

My wife likes when I add carrots, and you can too, but add them fifteen minutes into
the simmer or they turn to mush. (note: this is a tomato based stew and I personally
dislike the flavor of carrots in the mix)

I prefer 80/20 fat content ground beef specifically for the fat content which adds flavor. You
can use lean hamburger or stew meat, but you will sacrifice flavor.

Optional: Three or five squirts of Louisiana hot sauce while simmering adds some extra spice.

----------

I get requests for this recipe all the time. The last faculty/family school function I attended
was a "bring and share dinner" where we were asked to bring an entree, casserole, dessert,
or side dish. I brought this recipe (made two batches--four plus gallons) and received back
an empty pot an many requests for the recipe.

It is the best stuff I make...so I thought I'd share....

edit on 26-11-2012 by rival because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Going to give it a shot tomorrow or the next day. I'll follow your recipe as close as I can but going to go the the ranch market to get fresh non canned ingredients.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Sounds Yummy, I am going to have to try this stew recipe out, thank you.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 01:34 AM
link   
When I google Rotel, I get amplifiers and such like, so, what is a rotel.

Thanks.

P

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 01:48 AM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

Just a can of diced tomatoes and green chili.
Rotel

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 01:49 AM
link   

Rotel is name brand of diced tomatoes and green chiles. It is a popular brand of inexpensive
but tasty hot sauce here in the US.

Any twelve ounce can of diced tomatoes and green chiles will work, and I have also substituted
eight or ten ounces of mild picante or salsa as well. But Rotel has the best flavor...to me it is the
secret ingredient

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 01:56 AM
link   
reply to post by staple

Thanks, to the OP, it is hard to do, but try to remember that some members, quite a few in fact, come from other countries. Food recipes are especially difficult with both names and measurement. Now 2.5 gallons is around is about 10-11 liters. I assume that hamburger is actually minced beef and 1 pound is only about 2Kg. I may use kangaroo mince, very lean and healthy.

Thanks all.

P

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 01:58 AM
link   
reply to post by staple

I hope it turns out well. I would have to experiment with cooking time with fresh ingredients.
I posted this recipe mainly because it is so simple to make with canned stuff---and surprisingly good
in spite of that fact.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by pheonix358
reply to post by staple

Thanks, to the OP, it is hard to do, but try to remember that some members, quite a few in fact, come from other countries. Food recipes are especially difficult with both names and measurement. Now 2.5 gallons is around is about 10-11 liters. I assume that hamburger is actually minced beef and 1 pound is only about 2Kg. I may use kangaroo mince, very lean and healthy.

Thanks all.

P

Sorry 'bout that. I sometimes forget that we Americans have our own measurement system.
I can't translate gallons to liters well, but I did in fact mean ground beef when I said
"hamburger". And Kangaroo (as weird as I find that) would be fine. I think the important
part is the fat content. The flavor is transferred to the taste buds best by fat...I don't skim
off the fat

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 02:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by RobertF
Sounds Yummy, I am going to have to try this stew recipe out, thank you.

I would appreciate knowing how you liked it. It is not just my favorite recipe, it is
the best thing I make.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 02:17 AM
link   
reply to post by rival

My friend, you have not eaten a great steak until you try kangaroo.

You see, all of the meat you have likely ever tried is mammalian.

Kangaroos are Marsupials, and they have a great taste, better than the best 'game' meat you can try.

People get taught really stupid things. For example, most people have a fit at the thought of eating goat meat and yet goat is so similar to lamb you would likely not pick the difference.

If you get the chance, try snake and lizard, really yummy.

P

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 02:36 AM
link   

reply to post by rival

My friend, you have not eaten a great steak until you try kangaroo.

You see, all of the meat you have likely ever tried is mammalian.

Kangaroos are Marsupials, and they have a great taste, better than the best 'game' meat you can try.

People get taught really stupid things. For example, most people have a fit at the thought of eating goat meat and yet goat is so similar to lamb you would likely not pick the difference.

If you get the chance, try snake and lizard, really yummy.

P

Interesting. I have to assume you are from "down under" and I've always wondered if "Roo" was ever
considered for the table. Now I know.

As for exotic meats, a comedian once voiced my opinion for me like this...
"...If it tastes just like chicken why don't you just bring me some chicken...it's the cheapest
damn meat in the world!"

I would like to try kangaroo though....Oh, one more thing....what the hell is vegemite? (spelling)
Some Australian band from the eighties sang about a vegemite sandwich and I've always
wondered about that too....darnit....one more thing....when you take the stopper out of the
drain does the water swirl clockwise or counter-clockwise?

Sorry for all the questions

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 02:50 AM
link   
reply to post by rival

Ok, the green chillies have sold it to me. I will try this.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 03:16 AM
link   
ROFL.

Vegemite is a black spread made from vegetable extracts. It is very beneficial and has lots of vitamins and minerals. It is used as a spread on toast or bread, a teaspoon in a mug of boiling water makes a great soup. Its flavor is best described as savory and in the same general category as soy sauce.

I think it is available in the US through specialty shops and I guarantee if you get a jar and use a dessert spoon full in your stew recipe you will be held at gunpoint for the recipe. Only in America could this happen but the rest of the world knows how seriously you guys guard recipes. Hell, 11 herbs and spices and the list is guarded better than Fort Knox.

Our drains go the other way to yours.

Kangaroo is generally available in Australia and can be purchased in most supermarkets and butchers. WE must cull numbers every year and we do not waste the meat. Much of it goes into pet food. If you need to know why we have to cull the numbers, try you-tube and Australian Droughts 1950s and 60s. The number that died from thirst was too much for our psyche to handle. It was just horrible. Kangaroo numbers were kept under control by water availability until we started digging wells and such like. The species went berserk. Now they are culled.

P

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 03:41 AM
link   

When I google Rotel, I get amplifiers and such like, so, what is a rotel.

Thanks.

P

When Google is thy enemy, WIkipedia is thy friend!

Ro-Tel is a tomato chili sauce. Check the wiki entry for the japanese parts, at the top of the page is a link to the sauce.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 03:44 AM
link   

Just slooooww cook that stuff, I'm sure you know..
or it's a dogs breakfast.

Man roo stinks when you cook it too.. One animal that says "Don't eat me!" even in death.

Unlike chickens... they're the only animal you can eat before it's born and after it dies...

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 03:48 AM
link   
Tomatoes in a stew? I think UK stew is a lot different than US stew.
Stew here is meat,veg,water,oxo and more meat with red cabbage or brown sauce.
Sounds tasty though

Oh and I tried out one of your japanese dishes
it was great doing it again Tmr.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 03:49 AM
link   
Vegemite is Australian Kryptonite. Makes a real Aussie weak at the knees. And it seems to ward off foreign invaders, by the tablespoon full!

But it is basically, yeast vegetable extract. Imagine, if you brew homebrew beer, the wort left in the tub after you decant to secondary fermentation, or bottles.

That gunk at the bottom... the spent yeast... its pretty much that, only purified to a rich black grease. And it makes bread taste wonderful. With a tall glass of cold milk, it's something I remember ever since seeing hoges do it on the Paul Hogan show 30 years ago. lol. Gotta get bread crumbs in the milk, or you're not doing it right.

crap I'm hungry and all I have is a carrot and a cup of coffee... this is not going to work out well..

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 03:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
Tomatoes in a stew? I think UK stew is a lot different than US stew.
Stew here is meat,veg,water,oxo and more meat with red cabbage or brown sauce.
Sounds tasty though

Oh and I tried out one of your japanese dishes
it was great doing it again Tmr.

Isn't that more a scouse? Watery, loads of vegies and diced beef...

Stew has always been a little thicker in consistency for me..

either way Im hungry for it lol.. ohh what a long night ahead of me

i want a drink

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 03:52 AM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

I love it
I love that you really taste it on the roof of your mouth.
Isn't Marmite the same?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join