It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smart Mannequins can Spy and Eavesdrop on Shoppers

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Smart Mannequins can Spy and Eavesdrop on Shoppers

www.watoday.com.au

"It's spooky," said Luca Solca, head of luxury goods research at Exane BNP Paribas in London. "You wouldn't expect a mannequin to be observing you."

The EyeSee looks ordinary enough on the outside, with its slender polystyrene frame, blank face and improbable pose. Inside, it's no dummy. A camera embedded in one eye feeds data into facial-recognition software like that used by police. It logs the age, gender, and race of passers-by.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 11/23/2012 by 12m8keall2c because: fixed long url

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Not sure about you guys, but I am paranoid enough without thinking shopping mall mannequins are staring back at me

This thing does indeed look "spooky".

What do you think?

Would this bother you at all "if" it becomes the norm?

When does surveillance for the sake of "consumerism" go to far?

Watching people solely for commercial gain may break the rules and could be viewed as gathering personal data without consent, says Christopher Mesnooh, a partner at law firm Field Fisher Waterhouse in Paris.

"If you go on Facebook, before you start the registration process, you can see exactly what information they are going to collect and what they're going to do with it," said Mesnooh. "If you're walking into a store, where's the choice?" Read more: www.watoday.com.au...

edit on 23-11-2012 by SyntheticPerception because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   
hmm.. thought they were already put camera's in them as part of store security... meh no stores like that out here in the boonies and on the times I go downriver I shop at the open markets .. well more like trade as not use cash often....

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Expat888
hmm.. thought they were already put camera's in them as part of store security... meh no stores like that out here in the boonies and on the times I go downriver I shop at the open markets .. well more like trade as not use cash often....

If you read the article it does say they are not just a simple surveillance system. It collects data much like Google, or other web based applications,
(edit) added snip from main article to OP

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by SyntheticPerception
Not sure about you guys, but I am paranoid enough without thinking shopping mall mannequins are staring back at me

What do you think?

Watching people solely for commercial gain may break the rules and could be viewed as gathering personal data without consent, says Christopher Mesnooh, a partner at law firm Field Fisher Waterhouse in Paris.

"If you go on Facebook, before you start the registration process, you can see exactly what information they are going to collect and what they're going to do with it," said Mesnooh. "If you're walking into a store, where's the choice?" Read more: www.watoday.com.au...

Idk, shes kinda cute.. is she for sale?

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Juggernog

The $5000 device

She is (for sale) I know someone on the "inside" who may be able to get you a slightly cheaper price.

I like brunette data mining mannequins, ergo this one is SPOOKY

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by SyntheticPerception

Lol, ill take two, blonde and brunette

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Reminds me of that old 80's movie where the woman mannequin came to life.

Those things have always creeped me out, even more so with those "Real Dolls" ...

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Aw this is nothing new. They've been looking at me for years.

And talking to me.

The things they say...

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Some handy small round stickers placed on these creepy mannequin's eyes will take care of the camera....or if in a hurry, toss an item of clothing over its head. Heck, a bunch of cheap sunglasses that are painted black will do in a pinch, and look like they belong on it as part of a fashion ensemble.

It's one thing to use them as a stop-loss tool, another all together to gather information on shoppers including age and gender.

If they want to eavesdrop, I have a few things to say....they may be sorry they have the audio on.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by MystikMushroom

Reminds me of that old 80's movie where the woman mannequin came to life.

Those things have always creeped me out, even more so with those "Real Dolls" ...

That movie traumatized me as a child.

This made me laugh a couple times.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   
My mom worked at Macy's back in the 90's. They told her that there were cameras in some of the eyes of the mannequins. They never told her which ones, of course. Unless it was even a scare tactic, but I doubt it.

I doubt they had the facial recognition back then, but I used to always walk around and try to find a "wired" mannequin. I was 12.

edit on 11/23/2012 by impaired because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   
I always new there was something funny about mannequins but I'm not surprised at this news. Of course I might take caution when scratching my butt or picking out a wedgie. You never know when someone might be watching you.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

Called Mannequin - Kim Cattrail? from Sex and the City. And I think Andrew McCarthy ? Been so long but I loved that movie. And I watched it when it was NEW

edit on 23-11-2012 by Charmeine because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 12:47 AM
link   
I don't very often go into shops, not department stores anyway. I do all my shopping online. When i do go into shops i like to be in then out because of the Zombies with blank staring eyes that aim at you, you have it (others shoppers).

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Juggernog

Originally posted by SyntheticPerception

What do you think?

YEP...a Cherry 2000.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   
I bet they've been doing this forever practically. Makes sense, plus they creep little kids out anyway. The eyes move......!!!!

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   
I don't understand how this is alternative breaking news? Store surveillance has been around for years.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Charmeine
I don't understand how this is alternative breaking news? Store surveillance has been around for years.

It is not just surveillance. If you read the source article you will see it logs information on customers (like data mining software programs)

I posted it here because they just got sold to companies in the states. The article came out yesterday

I figured mannequins that log information about customers was "alternative" and if not a mod would move it. You can click the alert button and request it to be moved if you wish.
edit on 24-11-2012 by SyntheticPerception because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   

A lot of stores here do that now too. They ask for your postal code and address or email address. I always refuse to give personal information.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join