It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kids . .don't know they're born

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   
When I was a kid (i'm 38) we used to walk miles, swim in the rivers, stay out fishing for hours on end, eat apples from the trees, basically play and be adventurous until the sun went down. In between this we played sports. I played rugby from being 7 up to 22(ish), I also enjoyed playing music too. I know kids can't do many of the adventurous stuff these days and I would worry if my kids stayed out as long, but they CAN go out and play. Kids these days are more interested in sticking a headset on and playing call of duty with friends for hours in their rooms. Technology and the abundance of "Stuff" is turning kids into selfish zombies. I am seriously thinking of taking the tv out of my 11 y/o's room and forcing him to spend time with us. We are 3 miles from the beach, I would have loved to have been here as a kid. When we even bring up going to the beach the 11y/o turns up my blood pressure through his miserable selfish frustration. How do we get them out of the room and WANT to be outside breathing in fresh air??

Peace

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I have similar problems with my 11-year-old daughter. I have to just take away her devices sometimes, and she hates me for it. She knows how to ride a bike fine, but doesn't feel comfortable on one, so I sometimes make her ride bikes with me when the weather's nice. You'd think I was torturing her.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by satellite1

Use the old reverse psychology method. 11 year olds will make it their business to do anything you forbid them from doing. Tell him that the beach is too dangerous to be on- rip tides, sharks, flesh eating bacteria, psychotic pedophile fishermen, sea dwelling reptilian aliens, whatever. You won't be able to keep him away from it!

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by kaylaluv
I have similar problems with my 11-year-old daughter. I have to just take away her devices sometimes, and she hates me for it. She knows how to ride a bike fine, but doesn't feel comfortable on one, so I sometimes make her ride bikes with me when the weather's nice. You'd think I was torturing her.

Had that problem too.
Try changing the type/style of seat on the bike.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Why does he have a tv in his room in the first place?

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by GrandStrategy
Why does he have a tv in his room in the first place?

I agree. I have one in a corner in my house that I haven't used in several years. I have no use for one whatsoever. It's a mind control device and i'm sick of being brainwashed.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by GrandStrategy

Excellent question. Just a bait idea that went wrong IMO. I'm more rough around the edges than the wife, if it was my choice there would be no tv in the room. 1 game system, lights out at 9.30, chores to be done etc. these are not bad things but things that aren't part of the schedule. Sometimes its tough to get a point across without sounding the bad guy so I let a lot go for the peace of it. But I think the TV is the starting point, it has to be taken out. I'll talk to the wife

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by satellite1

It is hard to take away something that has already been given, best bet is to remove it as a form of punishment for breaking the rules and then never give it back.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by satellite1
reply to post by GrandStrategy

Excellent question. Just a bait idea that went wrong IMO. I'm more rough around the edges than the wife, if it was my choice there would be no tv in the room. 1 game system, lights out at 9.30, chores to be done etc. these are not bad things but things that aren't part of the schedule. Sometimes its tough to get a point across without sounding the bad guy so I let a lot go for the peace of it. But I think the TV is the starting point, it has to be taken out. I'll talk to the wife

Had a buddy with a kid they couldn't pull away from his games and gadgets. They went to a child psychiatrist. Psych told them to allow the kid to play with the gadgets as a privilege. He first had to do chores and homework. His gadget privileges were timed with an electronic alarm. That way the alarm became the bad guy and not the parents.

You gotta outthink the little bastards; you can't argue with a kid.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   
I chose to live in a small town setting in a large city for a few reasons, one of them being this. In this borough you can't escape the kids playing in the street...All summer long

My teen boys both have game systems and television in their rooms, but they aren't obsessed with either one, especially not television.

It's common sense really. I'm lucky to live in a neighborhood where kids knock on the door and say 'Can Johnny come out?'. I just never give my kids the option...If REAL live friends want to play, they come first. I told them they will thank me when they don't miss out on some really fun adventures outside... They do chores 5 or 6 days a week and they moan and groan and need to be reminded sometimes, but they do it or they don't get money. If they want 25 dollar tickets to go to 'fright night' at the amusement park, they do 25 dollars worth of work.

Sometimes keeping it going can be gruling and I do feel like a bit of a slave driver at times, but consistency is important. Letting kids become lazy and spoiled is not worth it to me, I'll keep cracken that whip until I push them out of the nest.

edit on 20-11-2012 by MidnightSunshine because: (no reason given)

top topics

join