It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama has increased Government spying, Google reports

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Welcome to the new norm, Government surveillance is on the rise look at the graph in the link, when Obama became president he promised transparency, well looks like another failed policy to me.

This is the sixth time we’ve released this data, and one trend has become clear: Government surveillance is on the rise. As you can see from the graph below, government demands for user data have increased steadily since we first launched the Transparency Report. In the first half of 2012, there were 20,938 inquiries from government entities around the world. Those requests were for information about 34,614 accounts.

There is more to see at the link.

Transparency Report: Government Requests on the Rise

I predict this will wind up in the courts. It should be a requirement that users be informed of the invasion.

Emails and personal writings are covered by the papers and personal effects. Case Law has covered personal written documents. They need a warrant. If they can search this they can search anything without a warrant.

Oh one more thing, the top two contributors to Obama's campaign were Google and Microsoft.

Barack Obama (D)
1 University of California $1,092,906
2 Microsoft Corp $761,343
3 Google Inc $737,055
4 US Government $627,628
5 Harvard University $602,992

link

I can't get my photo upload to work right now. If someone else can upload the graphs and post them into the thread that would be helpful!

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by MsAphrodite

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   
I wouldn't be surprised if Facebook was a top contributor or i suppose it would look awkwardly suspicious having Facebook as top contributor?. It's an unimaginable thought towards how much spying the government has done through Google & Facebook alone. This is beyond what batman's advanced super spy computer is capable?
edit on 13-11-2012 by FeelingPure because: Back To Topic

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   
For the sake of transparency and accuracy, according to the specific numbers the US is responsible for about 38% of all of these requests.

So it's not an isolated American issue - but we do seem to be the worst offenders here. Of course to understand the statistics much more information needs to be analyzed - including the reasons for the requests. For example it may end up being that the US is much tougher on copyright issues than other nations - whereas other nations may be more active in prosecutions of political statements, etc.

~Heff

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by MsAphrodite
Oh one more thing, the top two contributors to Obama's campaign were Google and Microsoft.

4 US Government $627,628

What does actually mean, the "US Government" funding Obama's campaign?

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by FeelingPure

Yes it is. I thought about putting all of those up, but decided it wasn't entirely germane to the thread. Thanks for all the help putting these up!

I originally supported Ron Paul until he was no longer a viable candidate. Seeing this makes me sick about this election.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

Your question confuses me, but I think it means the support of government workers.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Thanks for adding that Heff. Google is an American company.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 11:19 PM
link   
what obama didnt say when he promised transparency was that it was OUR personal lives that are to be transparent.

not his, not the governments. OURS.

sure hope we all get chipped soon, theres real hope and change right there!

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by MsAphrodite

True enough - but their graphs do use the plural - "governments" and the link I provided lists the requests by nation. US companies doing business abroad are obliged to follow the laws of each nation they do business in. Cyberspace is a bit trickier in this regard, but effectively works in the same manner.

The good news is that our Internet is less controlled than many other nations currently are.

The bad news is that the Government here seems to be following many of the trends of those nations that do censor Internet information regularly.

The worse news is that our government also prefers the Honeypot approach... letting illegal content stay up just to log people who access it. This, IMO, is the most disturbing behavior involved.

~Heff

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by pngxp
what obama didnt say when he promised transparency was that it was OUR personal lives that are to be transparent.

not his, not the governments. OURS.

sure hope we all get chipped soon, theres real hope and change right there!

Transparent- Cannot be seen.

He's delivering on his promise, just not the way folks took it.

top topics

join