It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Immortality gene in Hydra Polyps may shed answers about Human longevity

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   
A recent study looking at the immortal Hydra Polyp indicates confirmation of the FoxO gene playing a pivotal part in stem cell reproduction and senescence/aging in humans.

Hydra -- mysteriously immortal

The tiny freshwater polyp Hydra does not show any signs of aging and is potentially immortal. There is a rather simple biological explanation for this: these animals exclusively reproduce by budding rather than by mating. A prerequisite for such vegetative-only reproduction is that each polyp contains stem cells capable of continuous proliferation. Without these stem cells, the animals could not reproduce any more. Due to its immortality, Hydra has been the subject of many studies regarding aging processes for several years.

Human longevity gene discovered in Hydra

"Surprisingly, our search for the gene that causes Hydra to be immortal led us to the so-called FoxO gene," says Anna-Marei Böhm, PhD student and first author of the study. The FoxO gene exists in all animals and humans and has been known for years. However, until now it was not known why human stem cells become fewer and inactive with increasing age, which biochemical mechanisms are involved and if FoxO played a role in aging. In order to find the gene, the research group isolated Hydra's stem cells and then screened all of their genes.

Source: Science Daily

Very cool and interesting.
It's mentioned, or hinted at that we'll probably never know the true relevance regarding this, because to find such, genetic manipulation of humans would need be conducted.
In other words, genetic manipulation of humans is a big no-no, at least in First World scientific community.

I suppose we'll have to wait for Little Kimmy over in N. Korea to press the immortality button, or for someone else similar with sufficiently ambivalent moral constraints to break the rules.

I thought it was allowed to clone human tissues and Frankenstein to heart's content up to a certain point?

edit on 13-11-2012 by Druscilla because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 12:35 AM
link   
A few years ago someone put up millions of dollars in a race type scenario to map the human genome. The masses of course fell for the race theme hook line and lead sinker.

If you think the ultra elite have not solved this yet then you are mistaken.

If I can't take it all with me, then I'm not going!

P

edit on 14/11/2012 by pheonix358 because: Edit for immortality.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

And yet, the ultra-elite still seem to age before our eyes, and eventually have funerals.

It's nice to believe in something based off of what you 'learn' watching science fiction movies, but, in real life, biology and biological tinkering is ever so much more complicated than you might imagine.

So what if the genome has been mapped?

That's like saying you've successfully found every single word in The Bible. It's nice to have the words, but, now, let's put them in the right order, into sentences, and paragraphs, chapters, and books.

We might have the words, but, often enough, we still can't even read the words, much less know what part of any given random sentence they're suppose to go in, or if the word is even in the proper syntax, and spelled correctly.

Something as simple as manipulating the gene for blue eyes, or brown eyes could very well make you born with your brain outside of your skull, or with flippers, or no head at all.
Often enough, any one change effects 2, 3, 4, 5, or dozens of other things, and to actually make those bown eyes blue, you might need tweak 5 different things totally unrelated to eye color, so that the gene toggles to blue eyes.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 01:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Druscilla

In the very near future we will see great benefits from Genetic Engineering. An ability to cure many forms of Birth Defects in the Womb is something I think everyone would think of as a good thing. An ability to cure Cancer as well as HIV, Hep.C and a lot of other diseases is another area that Genetic Manipulation holds great promise.

Then we have aging. We know where the specific area of the Human Genome is that is responsible for aging. We eventually will be able to "CURE" this Human Condition but such a "CURE" could have detrimental effects. Even if we were to extend a persons life span by 50 years...the resulting over population would be difficult to handle as resources are used quicker and food availability became a greater problem.

I believe that Genetic Manipulation of aging may even be available now but this is something that would be covered up and only the EXTREMELY WEALTHY would have access to.

Still...the next Evolutionary Jump of Humans may come by our own hand. Split Infinity

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Druscilla
reply to post by pheonix358

And yet, the ultra-elite still seem to age before our eyes, and eventually have funerals.

It's nice to believe in something based off of what you 'learn' watching science fiction movies, but, in real life, biology and biological tinkering is ever so much more complicated than you might imagine.

So what if the genome has been mapped?

That's like saying you've successfully found every single word in The Bible. It's nice to have the words, but, now, let's put them in the right order, into sentences, and paragraphs, chapters, and books.

We might have the words, but, often enough, we still can't even read the words, much less know what part of any given random sentence they're suppose to go in, or if the word is even in the proper syntax, and spelled correctly.

Something as simple as manipulating the gene for blue eyes, or brown eyes could very well make you born with your brain outside of your skull, or with flippers, or no head at all.
Often enough, any one change effects 2, 3, 4, 5, or dozens of other things, and to actually make those bown eyes blue, you might need tweak 5 different things totally unrelated to eye color, so that the gene toggles to blue eyes.

Yes, everything you say has great merit. I will counter with the following. This is a conspiracy site after all.

(a) I put it to you that such a discovery has only been made very recently. So have you seen them aging before your eyes recently. Um, that would be a no.

(b) There are many funerals, some with open casket too. Special effects are really good. Next time your at an elite funeral, try pulling the head off. (Straight out of Monty Python, stand on the casket for leverage)

(c) Memory sticks started on TV, so did man going to the moon. Science follows science fiction, it is not the other way around.

(d) If aging can be cured by throwing money and scientists at it, then, it has been cured. Look for dead scientists in your hunt for clues. Look for missing street people in lieu of monkeys for test subjects.

P

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 08:28 AM
link   

genetic manipulation of humans is a big no-no, at least in First World scientific community.

I suppose we'll have to wait for Little Kimmy over in N. Korea to press the immortality button, or for someone else similar with sufficiently ambivalent moral constraints to break the rules.

I thought it was allowed to clone human tissues and Frankenstein to heart's content up to a certain point?

If this is in the news, we should assume the related research in Brazil is so far along that treatment is now available to the very stinking rich, not just the ultra-uber wealthy.

S&F&
btw

edit on 14/11/12 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   
There have been plenty of movie plots about manufactured viruses that modify DNA.

Such things might even be included in vaccines in the future.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   
There are more developed organisms....

The Immortal Jellyfish..

and the Lobster, which i'm more interested, probably the most advanced immortal of the 3, it has almost perfect DNA replication. Meaning, it won't die of "old age".

Reason Lobster die is mainly due to pollution, hunt, predators, sickness, not old age.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Here's my take on Longevity. Quit with The God damn GMO's, cut the fast food, And for #S SAKE if you keep #ing with DNA its not pretty/you're not going to like what you find hidden locked away in there. There is a reason why you are the way you are. I'm not telling, # I've already said too much

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by sparky8580

Sounds legit. Seemed to work pre-1950 where the further back you go in time, the longevity demographics decline down to ages of a long-lived 40 years old.

40 years old might be a long time to you, but, I'm pretty happy with all the food processing and current level of medical science that I'm looking forward to 80 years or more.

If we can manage to go post-human before this century is out, sooner the better, many of us may have the opportunity for immortality.

That's all speculation though.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   

There's a good documentary on this. Here I'll post it.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Did anyone else think Cthulu when they saw this?

Mountains of Madness anyone? Chirp Chirp . . . .

edit on 15-11-2012 by FriedBabelBroccoli because: 101

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 07:59 PM
link   
The epic of Giglgamesh may have eluded to this.

Gilgamish, I will reveal thee a hidden matter . . . I'll tell thee:
There is a plant like a thorn with its root (?) [deep down in the ocean],
Like unto those of the briar (in sooth) its prickles will scratch [thee],
270.(Yet) if thy hand reach this plant, [thou’lt surely find life (everlasting)] ."

Sacred-Texts

In my book cause I have the novel Gilgamesh is told to prick a flower with the thorn of the plant or something like that. After watching the documentary I can't help but think about using a needle to remove chromosomes from the polyp.
edit on 15-11-2012 by metalholic because: (no reason given)

top topics

join