It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2012 Presidential Election Costing Friends??

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I typically find myself in the middle on political issues. I do not believe in capital punishment and I believe women should have a choice on what to do with their own bodies. I do not find the idea of big government appealing, I believe there are bad people in the world and wars are a reality we may dislike but one we have to live with. I watch multiple news channels and have an assortment of apps on my phone to gather multiple opinions. I may lean a little more right than left but in no way can I be labeled extreme..

I want to bring up two things that have been bugging me about the election.

I was out at a sushi place on this last Friday night sipping a Sapporo and enjoying a peppered tuna tartaki. It was a long week and I needed this time to relax. In the middle of eating I get a call from a friend from out east. The first thing out of his mouth is, "Tell me you didn't vote for Romney". Where I come from I was always told that it is inappropriate to ask anyone who they voted for, much like asking someone how much money they make. I was irritated and tired at this point, this is two days after the election and I couldn't escape it. Knowing this guy is an extreme liberal born and raised, voting by party and not by anything else I decided to simply respond with a question. "Why would I vote for Barack Obama?", He began to laugh and tell me I'm an idiot. He promptly brought up Colbert and asked me if I thought he was really a conservative. (This idiot friend gets his news from comedy central news programs and thinks anyone who is not a democrat is fooled by Colbert). He said I was an idiot for voting for Mitt Romney because he is a Mormon (I never told him who I voted for).

I told him this country was based on people fleeing religious persecution and I didn't understand how he could justify his position. I thought liberals were all inclusive and had a never ending amount of tolerance. I again asked him to name one thing about Obama that was positive. He said that Obama is not a stupid person like Romney, that's it. The conversation that ensued beyond that went beyond politics but rather a pin pointed attack from me to him about his personality, way of life, the way he was raised, and why nobody can take him seriously. That pretty much ended a decades long friendship. I do not feel bad about it actually. I was minding my own business and I was told I was an idiot and I didn't even do anything. I may have voted for Barack Obama, Romney, or wrote in Mickey Mouse, nobody knows but it cost me a friend.

Also, I have found that the liberal people I seem to bump into are not able to answer questions about Barack Obama. I am sure there are some astute people on this website who can do that but for the most part people seem to be stuck in the celebrity of this President, they seem to be stuck with disliking conservatives rather than having legitimate arguments, and seem to ignore major issues like Libya, Iran attacking a drone, the deficit, job creation etc. They implicitly trust this guy and for pretty much no reason they can think of. Reasons I hear a lot are, He's not a Republican, we need to change, he's not George W. Bush etc.. These are not in my opinion, legitimate reasons.

Anyone else cutting ties with people over the election? Anyone have similar run ins and experience with the extreme left after Obama won?

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by etombo

Why would you let an election between two people that couldn't give a # about either of you end your friendship? America is in serious trouble if all it takes is "my guy is better than your guy" to end decades of friendship....

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I agree with you even though I am Liberal. I hate gloating, self righteous behavior. With friends like that, you don't need enemies.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Todzer

I know it seems ridiculous. I do not feel too bad about it, although I wish it had not happened. I think the election is getting to people, it definitely got to me..

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Nope.

I have friends that run the entire gamut of the political spectrum. From far left of the Chicago Seven to far, far right of Rush Limbaugh. It makes for great conversations/arguments.

Why would I ever be so stupid as to sever ties with friends because of political disagreement? Wouldn't have any friends, and that doesn't bear thinking about.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Isn't it amazing how an unverifiable election can manipulate millions of individuals right down to their personal lives... This type of societal engineering is masterful...
edit on 12-11-2012 by hawkiye because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Nope. My friends (and even my wife) lean left.

The 2012 election won't cost friendships. It'll just cost jobs, our economy, the future of America.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by seagull

You sound like my friend, calling people stupid and all. I think what I am trying to ask is, has anyone else had any fallout from the election with friends and family? After months of negativity with ads and people in general it came to a head where I allowed it to take the best of me. I am glad you're perfect and impervious to emotional compromise but unfortunately I am not. Please take a look at this from a broader point of view.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by etombo

My “friends” are people who share the same values as me, so NO, I haven’t had to sever any ties over this election. This election has strengthened my desire to avoid contact with the majority of people in this country. I’m shocked that there are so many complete idiots among us willing to facilitate the destruction of this country and the loss of personal freedom. I certainly don’t want to waste my precious free time talking politics or making small talk with complete idiots (except occasionally on ATS
).

Just keeping it real!!

edit on 12-11-2012 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Sounds like your friend is a jerk, and you are better off without him. While it's true that most of my friends are similar politically to myself (that's kinda why they're my friends), I have a couple of more conservative friends and lots of conservative relatives (I live in Texas - need I say more). I know not to bring sensitive stuff like this up to my conservative friends. They don't bring it up with me. We talk about other stuff.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Thanks for your post, I appreciate your point of view. I hardly post but I found the situation so ridiculous I wanted to see if anyone else has had the issue. The country is obviously split and I cannot be the only one who has had an issue with someone over the election.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by kaylaluv

Exactly. This election seemed to create some bravado with this guy. He didn't have any views prior to the election result but as soon as it was over this is what happened.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   
The only thing I've lost is respect for conservatives that have gone all wishy-washy and have been compromising with the democrats.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by etombo

Really? Can't recall the last time I severed a friendship over who won an election... In fact, it's safe to say I never have. Apparently you have...

So who's sounding more like your friend, you or me?

Politics, while important, aren't the be all, end all, of life. Certainly not worth ending friendships over in and of themselves...

We agree to disagree apparently.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   
No the election hasn't cost me any friends, and the election just reaffirmed by belief in the zombie nation.

And it has given me contempt of the right wing pundits "trying to save face".
edit on 12-11-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by etombo
reply to post by kaylaluv

Exactly. This election seemed to create some bravado with this guy. He didn't have any views prior to the election result but as soon as it was over this is what happened.

Yeah its amazing everyone wants to one up the other guy even their friends and family. Its the same idiocy as on the highway when you are trying to get around a numbskull driver and they speed up to make sure you can't pass them and then as soon as they know you can't get around them they slow back down, they will back up traffic for miles just to get their one up on someone...

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

I see what you mean. In addition why is everyone at these conventions partying? The country is in shambles. What is the party about?

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Living in a conservative part of Texan, I learned long ago not to discuss religion, politics or football if my views don't match that of the majority. A lot of people don't have much tolerance for those that are different.

Though, it's not quite as bad as it was 20 years ago. At least you can make fun of Rick "Good Hair" Perry without anyone complaining.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by etombo
reply to post by seagull

You sound like my friend, calling people stupid and all. I think what I am trying to ask is, has anyone else had any fallout from the election with friends and family? After months of negativity with ads and people in general it came to a head where I allowed it to take the best of me. I am glad you're perfect and impervious to emotional compromise but unfortunately I am not. Please take a look at this from a broader point of view.

Hello there. I understand what you're asking. And no, I have not had any falling out with friends or family due to the elections. Probably because I don't see many of my friends anymore (not for political reasons) and the one friend I do see often is pretty much on the same page as my husband and I, politically at least.

The way I look at it, some people just get very emotional and judgmental during these elections which causes a big division among us. To be honest, I have been getting tired of all the attacks, slanders, accusations, extreme partisanship, etc. etc., not just by political parties and figures but among the rest of us as well.

What your friend said to you was not very friend like. Most of my family, both on my side and husbands side, are very different politically, yet I have never gone as far as call someone stupid for having a different opinion. I like a good conversation and friendly debate about the issues but I have found it best to know when to stop when it starts to become too heated. There are just some people I don't like to talk politics with at all because it's just not worth the stress.

Again, I'm sorry your friend took the conversation the wrong way and couldn't look past your political differences. He/she should remember that, in spite of everything, you are both still long time friends. Hopefully you two can re-kindle that friendship and find a way to forgive one another. It's sad when friendships end, especially over circumstances such as these.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Todzer
reply to post by etombo

Why would you let an election between two people that couldn't give a # about either of you end your friendship? America is in serious trouble if all it takes is "my guy is better than your guy" to end decades of friendship....

Ever heard of Ken-L Ration?
It started a long time ago...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join