It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

western tourists getting more strange....

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 12:01 AM
link   
I admit english is not my native language as am japanese .... I did state that I am currently VISITING in vietnam - though doubt it will clear up misconceptions by those who dont pay attention to details .. or who wish to nitpick for whatever reason ... and yes there are asian expats as well ... its not only westerners who live as expats ...

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Expat888

I still think its lame and wrong to generalize about another racial group based on the behavior of one person.

It makes you sound like a racist.

Maybe that's what you are, I don't know...but that's how you sound.

Anyway...so you are Japanese visiting Vietnam. Which country are you an expat in?

edit on 11/9/2012 by TheXoor because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 01:47 AM
link   
I don't think we (as in the British) have had much issues being tourists... was called "les godams" for our use of flowery language during the 12th century by the French and now it is "les f*** Offs" for the same thing..

While I do not drink, or behave that way I do know we are pretty notorious for not being the best kind of tourists.
edit on 9/11/12 by thoughtsfull because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 03:37 AM
link   

as you insist on creaating drama - and general stereo-types out of a single annecdote suck on this : vietnamese lunatic

see how easy it was ?

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 04:04 AM
link   

Perhaps this is a clue to what your about Expat888,

The newly opened Suehiro Detective Agency is composed of laid-back manager Hisago, dog-loving chief investigator Shimeki and administrator Tsukumo. With very few paying customers, the three protagonists are free to spend their time bickering with and teasing one another,

Nice trap by the way,
Look forword to hereing more from you, You seem too come across as a very wise and smart person
Might even friend you

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 04:19 AM
link   
The hand gesture he was using is the sign for baphomet. He was saying that you are a pagan lol
edit on 9-11-2012 by Bilky because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 04:34 AM
link   
I do the "I don't speak english" thing sometimes too, when rude american tourists are around.
I also step up and speak willingly when they are normal american tourists.

Last time I went back to the US, I could tell how many french people were on my plane back by how they acted in the airport waiting area. Suddenly I couldn't speak french anymore......

Point being, there is a bit of everything in the crowd, good and bad....

But also!

Keep in mind the occurance of Paris Syndrome, Jerusalem Syndrome, and Stendhal Syndrome...

In my opinion these all refer to the same basic psychological event. Being in an environment and culture very different from your own, which knocks down your reference points of reality. Culture shock.
It is somewhat like having the boundries of your ego suddenly all fall and you are open to all kinds of phenomena - hallucinations, delusions, paranoia and feelings of persecution.

People traveling alone are much more vulnerable to this. When you are with people who share the same framework of values, thought, and perception, you re-enforce each others familiar mental states.
Westerners often traveling alone instead of in groups, might be extremely vulenrable to this.
edit on 9-11-2012 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 05:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Expat888
I admit english is not my native language as am japanese .... I did state that I am currently VISITING in vietnam - though doubt it will clear up misconceptions by those who dont pay attention to details .. or who wish to nitpick for whatever reason ... and yes there are asian expats as well ... its not only westerners who live as expats ...

I have some SERIOUS doubts about your story. Where to begin...

OK first you say you are Japanese. Your diction and sentence structure is not at all like most Japanese who have learned English as a second language. But that in itself does not tell us anything, right? Maybe your story is complex or unusual.

So I went back and looked at some of your older posts. In your introductory thread you say you are "ex military." Since you are claiming to be a Japanese person that means you served in the jietai ("Self defense forces") right? Funny because most Japanese do not call the jietai "military" and if you served in them you would especially know this. This is because the "military" is specifically outlawed by article 42 of the Japaneze constitution. Instead there is the "self defense forces" or jietai, which is supposed to be different from a military, even if in actual fact it is not so different. But All Japanese learn this in school and for somebody who was in the Jietai to call it military ("guntai") would be a major slip. Your English is clearly good enough to tell the difference, too.

But, I say, let's give him the benefit of the doubt. Maybe there is an explanation.

Then I saw This post that you wrote:

I havent worked or lived in the u.s since 1980. Left out of disgust. I dont get taxed on my earnings wouldnt pay anyway. am quite self sufficient and live an nice quiet simple life without need of any government or leaders and dont acknowledge any.. Havent supported any of it since left the military after my 4th tour in vietnam when was young and stupid.

Here you state you "left the US," implying you are American, and moreover tha you served 4 tours in Vietnam!

Japan did not fight in the Vietnam war! It seems in this post you are claiming to be a US Vietnam vet rather than a Japanese citizen.

And then there is your claim to be an "expat." If you are Japanese, where are you working and living as an expat? Not Vietnam, because you say you are just visiting. Not Japan, because you say you are Japanese, and an expat lives in a different country than his motherland by definition, right? Not the US, because you say you "left in disgust." Are we now to believe you are living in a fourth and yet unmentioned land? You see why I'm having doubts now?

Why don't you tell us the truth about yourself? Because the posts you made are not adding up. Maybe I am mistaken, perhaps there is a perfectly reasonable explanation for your claims that don't seem to make sense. If so, I apologize. But I think you need to clear up who you are because it directly effects the core measage of this thread.
edit on 9-11-2012 by KarensHoliday because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 05:50 AM
link   
I think people who generalize about "westerners" are just favoring other people. We could do the same, but that is for people with no scruples.

Good luck with that. Try not to meet ONE person of any other race creed or class, you might not like them and so not like EVERYONE like them.

Snide, xenophobic weirdo.

edit on 9-11-2012 by manykapao because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 05:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Expat888
at present in ho chi minh city visiting my son and daughter in law .... anyhow I go for coffee the morning at a small cafe here thats off the usual haunts of western tourists and businessmen minding my own business having coffee ( vietnam has excellent coffee ) ... surfing ats on my mobile when next thing know theres a westerner standing in front of me at the table - american from the clothes and accent ... telling me " I know what you are and I'm not afraid of you while at same time he is making some kind of gesture waving a bible around .... rather than cause further scene pulled my usual dont understand english act and quietly told the girl at the coffeeshop in vietnamese to call the police to deal with the lunatic ... paid for my coffee and started to leave when the idiot westerner decides he is going to follow me and continue spouting his gibberish... he made mistake put hand on my shoulder I dont put up with strangers putting a hand on me much less crazy westerners.. applied a simple wristlock on him at that point and held him that way till the police showed up and took him in for causing a disturbance. really wish they wouldnt give lunatics passports... ahh well hopefully the rest of the day will be less eventfulll... are things getting that bad over there that they let the lunatics out of the asylums?

You sound like a charming woman. I'd sure like to have you visit my country. Not.

Might like to invest in a dictionary, your spelling and grammar standards are disgusting.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 05:59 AM
link   
reply to post by KarensHoliday

Look at his profile, he is probably Chinese and says whatever suits him. Think about his MO,

The "roles" he chooses makes him Chinese as far as I can tell, Japanese, American, ect. This must be the strategy they employ, to take on the identity of the type of person that best auto destructs, since nothing does damage like a self inflicted wound.

He is here to discredit the US and cause as much animosity as possible between the US and the rest of the world.

I see an active effort in this department lately by organized and trained dis-info people. What that tells me is that not only is capitalism under attack, but the west as well. The US in particular in the far future, when support is at an all time low.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 06:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by manykapao

He is here to discredit the US and cause as much animosity as possible between the US and the rest of the world.

The US does that all on its own, with it's bloated military, awful foreign policy and their accents.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 06:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Wasteoftime

No the US does what the rest of the world does, why where are you from?

Did you just make that profile to be a trollocks here?

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 06:04 AM
link   
We actually have people like that that vote other like minded ones into office

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 06:07 AM
link   

The rest of the world kidnaps minors and holds them in illegal concentration camps in Cuba?

The rest of the world supports the abuse and genocide of the Palestinian people by the US state of Israel?

The rest of the world launches unilateral sanctions on nations who wish to live without being dictated to by the US?

The rest of the world uses chemical weapons against innocent people?

The rest of the world lies about events to launch 15 year wars to stop people from choosing a political system that they feel works best for them?

The rest of the world has turned entire continents into warzones, then turns against the countries they ruin?

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 06:11 AM
link   
reply to post by manykapao

Or maybe he's just trolling from mom's basement in Wisconsin...

Whatever the answer I am most curious to hear his explanation. I'm not trying to "get personal" but the core meaning of this thread will differ if the OP is American or Japanese or Chinese or... And its a Gray Area thread which means its a personal story, so like it or not the OP's background is part of the story.

For these reasons, I think we are entitled to a clear statement on this from the OP.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 06:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by KarensHoliday

Whatever the answer I am most curious to here his explanation.

I come from a country that is of no concern to you.

Even if it was of any concern to you, you probably couldn't find it on a map. Or even find the map for that matter.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wasteoftime

Originally posted by KarensHoliday

Whatever the answer I am most curious to here his explanation.

I come from a country that is of no concern to you.

Even if it was of any concern to you, you probably couldn't find it on a map. Or even find the map for that matter.

I am talking about the OP, not you, whoever you are.

And how do you know what I know and don't know? What a peculiar thing to say. I am well-versed in geography and I assure you I can find any real country on a real map.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 06:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wasteoftime

The rest of the world kidnaps minors and holds them in illegal concentration camps in Cuba?

The rest of the world supports the abuse and genocide of the Palestinian people by the US state of Israel?

The rest of the world launches unilateral sanctions on nations who wish to live without being dictated to by the US?

The rest of the world uses chemical weapons against innocent people?

The rest of the world lies about events to launch 15 year wars to stop people from choosing a political system that they feel works best for them?

The rest of the world has turned entire continents into warzones, then turns against the countries they ruin?

Lets be honest, similar things with a few changes here and there could be said about a lot of countries, with the remainder equally able to do the same if they had the chance, as much as we might like to think our nations would take the moral high ground but for the most part they don't.

I am the last person to defend America as they are quite capable of doing that themselves, but I am sure Americans would love their country to be taking the moral high ground, so come on, everyone has blood in their hands at some point and this thread is about Western Tourists getting worse (at least that was my reading of the intention) not who has the moral high ground.

I pointed out as a nation my nation has had similar accusations thrown at them for the last 800 years so can't see anything new in what the op is saying.

It is also worth noting that not everyone falls into the crap or brilliant tourist category since most of us are humans our experience of the world and peoples experience of us varies moment to moment.

Oh well, am backing out of this thread since it seems to be going in another direction.. good luck one and all

edit on 9/11/12 by thoughtsfull because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join