It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

With the election over, can we on ATS return to civility and mutual respect?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
What I value most are compassion and communication when disagreeing with others, learning about one another's positions and feelings rather than trying to destroy or attack them out of anger or ego (though, being human, we have all been guilty of this from time to time.) I know that's just one person's opinions... just like the more aggressive ones out there, which are everyone's prerogative. But this has made me reluctant at times to take part in political discourse here on ATS, because throughout this election cycle - and before, obviously - I've observed derogatory ad hominem rhetoric thrown around by all "sides" here on ATS. "Libtards." "Republican sociopaths." "Idiots." "Morons." "Shills." "Sheep." "Pathetic." "Vermin." The list goes on and on.

Regardless of whether you're a supporter of a specific political party or ideology, you're apolitical, a supporter of a fringe political movement, you believe the whole thing is a sham to start with, or much like me simply wash your hands of virtually the entire process, I have seen a ton of vitriol lately. So, I ask those of you who have been understandably passionate and at times vehemently so with regard to the current political climate and conflicts, even if you feel the above sentiments (and others) are perfectly valid, can you now take a deep breath and consider a return to civility and dialogue when expressing differences of opinion?

Can we at last find it within ourselves to calmly and respectfully articulate our differences, hold some modicum of respect and empathy for one another, and communicate? This is my humble plea to my fellow members of this community. I believe we are mature, informed, and thoughtful enough to do so. We all have a right to an opinion and to express it. And yes, that includes anger, outrage, and (other than potential TOS violations I should say) even heated arguments. That is your prerogative, and I am not implying that you are somehow a bad person for engaging in it.

But might it not be preferable to instead listen to one another? In my opinion, there is no danger in listening to someone. To entertain or at least hear out a position, without necessarily embracing it. If you are certain of your beliefs and positions, what is the danger in discussion and communication? No one can force you into changing your mind if you don't want to. And it's doubtful that you will change anyone else's mind by, essentially, yelling at them. Moreover, the expression of your points and counterpoints when disagreeing with someone are arguably better served by reasoned calm and being articulate rather than appearing defensive and angry, are they not?

Please consider this, if you will. Just one more opinion to add to everyone else's. Peace.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Return? Hehe

Have any evidence proving it was ever like that to begin with?

/Sarcasm

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   
As long as I have been here, debates have always gotten hot, tempers flare, people get pissed.

You just have to learn to accept its inevitable, ignore it, and show others by example how to disagree without getting personal and immature about it.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   
You can be professional, courteous and receptive in a discussion even while you tear apart your oppositions arguments

I agree entirely, civility is what promotes stimulating discussions, regardless of how outrageous the topic or position is.

As I have said before, no need to anger someone with personal attacks, when you can do by completely destroying their argument in a calm, cool and collected manner.

S + F

Now lets all have a power hug to seal the deal

edit on 7-11-2012 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
It would be nice but not likely. People are already going into mad prep mode expecting a disaster tomorrow or the collapse of their country.

Was is like this the first time he was elected?

Unfortunately, this is a conspiracy website and the conspiracies are always hottest about politics and especially around election time.

I hope the board settles.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Nope.

We still have December 21st to get through, plus whatever other craziness our nutty brethren can come up with.

Besides, It's been a while, if ever that this place was free of hotheads and trolls.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   
what's funny to me is, all the obama bashing threads being going around and since the man was won again, I haven't seen not thread pop up sayinh "it's not fair".

I'm just sitting laughing my butt of because I know some members are too pissed to even write anything.

Boy I'll tell ya, its going to be a LONG four years ahead. I'm pretty sure the YouTube servers are probably on overload right about now.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by MonkeyFishFrog

I couldn't agree with you more. Now since the elections are finally over, lets have a drink.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by AceWombat04

Very well said.

I almost made a similar thread today about this.
The election is over...let the insanity and hatred stop.
I have actually been a tad scared to post anything political because i see how the boards are lately.

I did make a different thread instead but tried to not be a jerk about it like i have seen others do on here regarding politics.

I feel sorry for the mods the last few months.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   

No, I don't think so, for a number of reasons.

First, there seem to be a great number of people who enjoy yelling at, insulting, and destroying others. Their concern is not for finding truth because they are sure they already have it, or persuading people. Combat is the goal. You will see people pick fights for the sheer joy of fighting.

Second, facts, which are the stepping stones to truth, are often only accepted if they fit with one's current opinions. How often have you seen :"You can't trust that source," "They're shills," or "We need absolute proof before we listen to that?"

Third, "winning" has become the only goal. Someone who adjusts their thinking or finds a compromise is seen as a loser.

Fourth, following a lengthy discussion is too difficult for some. I know of at least two posters who have written that if a post is longer than three paragraphs they won't read it.

Fifth, for various reasons, the Mods find they can't keep the craziness in check.

It's a cost benefit analysis. The benefit is a stimulating discussion which broadens your thinking. The cost is wading through hatred, ignorance, and unreason. Perhaps it's the time of year, but I'm finding fewer benefits and higher costs. Eventually some will decide it's no longer worth it.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by sylent6

I was honestly thinking about cracking a beer or taking a shot of tequila in your guys' honour last night.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Star and Flag. Not hearing any political ads on television or seeing the hundreds upon hundreds of political signs on the way to market and to work is really welcome indeed. It would be great to work together because 4 years is a long time to let things fall apart. I mean just to prove a point. Maybe the Republicans will at least return to their earlier positions, before Obama was elected and they became hijacked by the far right and told to rescind on earlier positions. . Romney was a proponent of nationalized health care, and Rubio had his own path to citizenship plan. Reagan gave amnesty to 2 million illegals. There is always room for compromise if you are working in the best interests of the people.
edit on 7-11-2012 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Senator Bill Nelson (Florida), during his acceptance speech, said something to the tune of "Connie Mack was not my enemy, he was my competitor". If you're from Florida you may agree that there were some pretty intense campaign ads that Nelson ran against Mack and vice verse and you would have thought then that they were indeed enemies.

Your thread shares the above sentiment of what Nelson said imo.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   
I believe a lot of the art of not becoming angry is accepting that we cannot control others, and letting things go.

For example, if you have considered someone's opinion or hypothesis or belief that you disagree with, analyzed it as thoroughly as possible under the circumstances, and decided how you feel and think about it (whether that means you disagree with it, don't accept it, or simply remain skeptical but undecided about it,) you've communicated your own point of view as articulately and carefully as you can, and you know that the other person you're communicating with will not change their mind or thinking, then even if you think you're right or even when you have outright proof that you're right, you have it within you to let it go in my opinion.

I understand all too well the impulse to prove someone wrong or prove something right. I think we all have an ego, however large or small, or controlled or uncontrolled, and I think we are all susceptible to little twinges of wanting to "win." Wanting to make people's perceptions of reality match ours. But I believe it is important to moderate that instinct.

I also know there are times when it arguably goes beyond opinion, too. The old saying goes, "Everyone has the right to their own opinions, but not their own facts." But the thing is... people will anyway. We cannot force someone to accept what we think reality is. It just can't be done. The most we can do is offer what we feel is compelling evidence or a compelling argument, and then respectfully bow out, or continue calmly, rationally communicating our point of view, in my opinion. If we're right, hopefully the truth will become self evident. If it doesn't, then perhaps we should be humble enough to consider that we might be wrong. And if it does but people simply will not accept it... then that is ultimately their prerogative whether we like it or not.

If you know nothing is to be gained other than generating hostility and ill will by attacking, my feeling is, why do it? Does this really do anything to bolster the argument? Not in my opinion. It just creates further obstacles to communication and reason in my view.

Anyway, as always... just my two cents. Peace.
edit on 11/7/2012 by AceWombat04 because: Typo

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Kinda doubt it, but it would be nice. For a while at least, we have one side gloating and rubbing it in every chance they get, and the other side angry they lost. It will die down eventually I hope though.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Sure, the election is over, and we can continue on the same path for the next four years.

Otherwise, on ATS, it's back to the normal routine.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Yup...

Never did that.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Of course not....

What kind of fun would that be if there weren't passionate people arguing their positions.
That's what makes for lively discourse and [sometimes] changing a perspective.

When I want to talk about breeding ferrets or personal hygiene; I don't go to ATS but
when I fancy a rough and tumble political discussion with a worthy competitor, I do.

I'm fully aware that online personas tend to the extreme; Much theater and drama with anonymity.

edit on 7-11-2012 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by MonkeyFishFrog
It would be nice but not likely. People are already going into mad prep mode expecting a disaster tomorrow or the collapse of their country.

Was is like this the first time he was elected?

We can't even pay the interest on the national debt. Of course the system is going to collapse. It did not matter who won the election.

Wait until the food stamps and government payola stops, then you'll see what real mad-prep-mode, incivility and total disrespect are all about.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join