It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Finally 20 posts. Been reading ATS for over a year now and I have to say this before I say anything

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   
You guys are generally very intelligent and you present thought provoking ideas on a fairly consistent basis. But seriously, you know there's a spell checker built into the post submission form, right? Do you realize that for some people who value language and the knowledge to use it effectively, your credibility is completely destroyed when you say something like: 'I'm just so dissapointed' or 'I think that's a good idea two!'?

It is not that hard.

there-denotes a place
they're-this means 'they are'
their-when you are talking about something which belongs to someone (that is their nuclear device)

to-this is the to you use most of the time
two-this is the number 2, nothing else.
too-this means 'also'. nothing else.

Aside from that, just pay attention to the spell checker. It tells you when you have spelled something wrong, so that you may fix it. Just try. Knowledge is its own reward.

+11 more 
posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by prostheticmind

Thats all very good but for some reason the spell checker doesn't work for me plus the fact I have dyslexia, also many people posting are not native english speakers.
Also at the end of the day as long as you get your point across does it really matter?. It isn't like we are in an exam is it?
OR ARE WE

edit on 7-11-2012 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   

gyfhjuyffufyyyyyyfffffffffffyyuyyfyufyfyufyufyfuyf]yuyuiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiyfyfy

no spell check on my page and i do you like bad grammer i love making really big sentences and not using caps but not as much as telling you to go comment on one of the thousands of other rants about spelling that seem to pop up on an hourly basis

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Spell checker is typically a browser function. Chrome has one but IE does not. Although I frown upon seeing such poor spelling grammar, I don't judge because there could be many reasons why it is so.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   

So for your first "real" thread you choose to bitch about grammar? Yea, great topic

Oh and the spell checker isnt in the post submission form, its in your browser.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   
ouch! such testy replies!
welcome to your first posting experience at ATS

ganjoa

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   

wishes my life could be as carefree, for the only thing to worry about is someone's spelling

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Juggernog

So for your first "real" thread you choose to bitch about grammar? Yea, great topic

Oh and the spell checker isnt in the post submission form, its in your browser.

At least I waited until my second post
I'll watch as this thread goes down in flames as nobody gives a rats petunia anymore about spelling. You forgot "Then" and "Than" in the OP. I'm thinking roughly 2% of the English speaking community understand what those two words mean.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   
i zope i dont do 2 moch misstake phor ya

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by prostheticmind
Knowledge is its own reward.

"its" has an apostrophe. Like this: "it's".

pathetic.

link   

too-this means 'also'. nothing else.
This is incorrect. Please check your facts before instructing others. "too" means "also" BUT it also refers to "amounts". For example, there is too much salt in this sauce.

link   
reply to post by Ben81

Hope you don't get detention for that

Two'nd line.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   
It's probably not going to go over too well, coming in here and playing English teacher on your first thread.
Making others feel inadequate is a #ty thing to do.

Although I agree, poor spelling can discredit the post, I've come to understand it doesn't really matter. As long as I know what they meant anyways, what's the harm?

Some mobile users visiting this site have autocorrect for spellcheck and it can type the wrong suggestion and it isn't noticed before submitting the post.

My autocorrect types words that don't even exist sometimes. I can spell, but it might appear I can't. By the time I notice my error, editing time has ran out.

There are other reasons besides this and that might not be your business why, nor should anyone have to explain.

edit on 7-11-2012 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Not giving you a dig OP just a funny vid here.

Enjot

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by nerbot

Knowledge is its own reward.

"its" has an apostrophe. Like this: "it's".

pathetic.

Knowledge is it is own reward?

No.

it's = 'it is'

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Another pretentious rant about grammmar. Some people here probaly speak and write more languages thin you do but dont do so well with inglesh so dat mean you need to give them hard time and tell them how anoying they are ? and some poeple not so computer savy as you to get spell correction going der computer. No rules saying dis site only for the intellectualy enlighted. We dummys and less eduticated want to learn to be smart likes yous

And I think that for you to put a rant as your first collaboration after a year is worse than a spelling mistake...
edit on 7-11-2012 by papazen because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   
5 things that don't go down well at ATS:

1/Grammar Police.

2/Self Appointed Mods.

3/Threads with out sources.

4/Plagiarism.

5/Two line threads.

Congratulations, you went straight for number one, with your first real thread.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
reply to post by Ben81

Hope you don't get detention for that

Two'nd line.

Detention ?
teachers had enought of me during normal hours
giving me detention .. was more like detention for them

edit on 11/7/2012 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by violet
It's probably not going to go over too well, coming in here and playing English teacher on your first thread.
Making others feel inadequate is a #ty thing to do.

Although I agree, poor spelling can discredit the post, I've come to understand it doesn't really matter. As long as I know what they meant anyways, what's the harm?

Some mobile users visiting this site have autocorrect for spellcheck and it can type the wrong suggestion and it isn't noticed before submitting the post.

My autocorrect types words that don't even exist sometimes. I can spell, but it might appear I can't. By the time I notice my error, editing time has ran out.

There are other reasons besides this and that might not be your business why, nor should anyone have to explain why

I can understand that, but I kind of think if we are in here having discussions that much of the world is afraid to have, we should learn to conduct ourselves in a respectable manner. That means proofreading is actually important.

I think about when I see something on alternative media and they clearly didn't proofread something and I think 'no wonder people say we are crazy, we haven't even learned to use language effectively.' Things are discussed on this website that I'm sure we hope will be brought to the attention of a wider audience sometime in the future. If that is the goal, then information needs to be presented in a coherent manner. I just think our section of society might be taken more seriously if we payed attention to the details and not just the substance.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join