It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SQL

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   
I need to be proficient fast. I know the basics. How to build a table, write a statement, etc. I need to learn coding.

Any ideas on where I can go to learn it fast? My employer does not want me taking a formal class. Our systems are dirty and he said he hasn't had luck with computer science graduates because they get frustrated with our systems. He wants someone that can learn it themselves that already knows our dirty system.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by k21968
I need to be proficient fast. I know the basics. How to build a table, write a statement, etc. I need to learn coding.

Any ideas on where I can go to learn it fast? My employer does not want me taking a formal class. Our systems are dirty and he said he hasn't had luck with computer science graduates because they get frustrated with our systems. He wants someone that can learn it themselves that already knows our dirty system.

www.ebook3000.com...

SQL in a nut shell

free ebook for self learning,
i have not read it, it was recomended on slashdot

hope that helps

part 1 of 4

xploder
edit on 5-11-2012 by XPLodER because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by k21968

shop.oreilly.com...

found this book if you are past beginner and want some "extended" learning

xploder

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by k21968

Sounds to me that your employer is trying dodge the fact that getting anyone qualified to do this work is VERY expensive. Ive seen this happen many times over the years. A friend of mine told me that all the people working at the firm he is at have been given an incentive of a few £1000 to find someone to fix their data base system and what do you know..no one has fixed it.

Anyone can learn to tweak code or make a few apps but working out the integration and management of a large database system is a whole different ball game. So your employer is trying to do it on the cheap and put all the stress on you to work it out...i dont envy you at all. Charge him 50000-100000 for the work, thats what anyone else will do.

edit on 6-11-2012 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

I completely agree. This will put a lot of undue stress on yourself in order to meet your boss's skewed expectations.

Having said that, budgets can be tight, especially when it comes to something as costly and labor intensive as database restructuring. Any manager will balk at a simple verbal request for more money to finish a project, even if it is necessary funding.

Develop a brief but formal cost/benefit analysis. Be sure to show on paper:

1. How much more money it will cost the company if they cut corners fixing their databases. Give accurate projections.
2. How much people/companies will charge to fix it. Estimate if you have to.
3. The cost of your effort and time. Learning/fixing this issue will take time away from your other job duties. Be accurate and don't embellish.

This will give you a better chance at receiving appropriate compensation. At the very least, you tried to talk some sense into management and they have proof of it.

new topics

top topics

join