It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NY City .... The SHOW Must Go On !!!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Bluesma

i have to disagree with great prejudiced on that statement. when you have people, children eldery and everyone in between dying from exposure, millions of people on the verge of collapse, not enough man power to get to them to help, not enough resources to go around. the last thing you do is host a friggen marathon that requires manpower and resources to take place.

all this for the sake of what, a damn race? hey Bill, take all your people out of section D and put them on the marathon, yeah i know, they dying but this is the NY marathon and you know we need the faux revenue which no one on the street will ever see.

i just have no words for that mentality.

what these runners should be doing is racing to get food, water and medicine to these people, not putting on god damn show.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by LittleBlackEagle

There are many runners that are refusing to race on Sunday and I say good on them!

Here is just one that has wrote about why he will not run:

Now, I know there are thousands of runners who have trained all year for this event. They've come from all over the globe to get to NY and go to Staten Island and wait for the sun to come up and the marathon to start. Lots of money and sweat has been spent in preparation for November 4th, 2012. I know because I am one of the people that spent money and sweat. "Well you didn't travel from Kenya to run in the marathon," you could say. That's fair, but the New York Road Runners had ample notice about this hurricane. They had a whole week to evaluate the situation. When they saw that people were staying in hotels because they have no home to go back to they should have stepped on the breaks there and then.

Furthermore, I don't want to have streets cleared along the marathon route unless every street has been cleared of downed trees and power lines. I don't want to be handed a free cup of Gatorade unless every single family in Rockaway has the same luxury. I don't want people cheering me on when nurses who saved thousands of lives did so in complete darkness. I don't want to reach that finish line before the city I love and live in crosses that finish line and cleans up after this natural disaster. I love the NYC Marathon. It changed my life. 75 hours and 401 miles later; I say to hell with it. Just postpone the damn thing.

Screw the NYC Marathon

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by OneisOne

I love it. Would be cool if those who are not running, were to go and help out in the shelters, etc.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone

I love it. Would be cool if those who are not running, were to go and help out in the shelters, etc.

Ask and you shall receive!!! (I just read this article before seeing your post)

gothamist.com

A Brooklyn woman scheduled to run in the NYC Marathon is gathering a group of runners to volunteer on hurricane-battered Staten Island Sunday instead of running the race. Penny Krakoff, a social worker who lives in Crown Heights, is entered in the race, but tells us she can't participate in good conscience. Instead, she plans to user her bib to take the official bus transporting marathon runners to the starting line on Staten Island—and then spurn the race to spend the day volunteering.
Krakoff says she'll collect extra food and and clothing to take with her on the bus and distribute it on Staten Island.

And....

Update 10:35 a.m.: Another group of Marathon runners has also been organizing independently of Krakoff's efforts. According to their Facebook page:
Runners will show up at the starting line, but will break off en masse at different points of the city to deliver supplies to places hardest hit and without power. This will mean departing from the race, to head to various buildings, running up and down stairs delivering water and canned goods, etc. Runners will show up to the marathon, as scheduled. Runners who want to help should post the words, “I’M HERE TO HELP!” somewhere on their bodies.

More information and links to the fb pages and other contact info at the link!

Love these people!!!

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

There is lots of money, big companies and interest riding on the "Show", it would take much more than the hurricane to overcome.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Some people actually "understand" what needs to be done, in these situations.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by manykapao
reply to post by Bluesma

how do you suppose they run a marathon when so many people don't have basic needs being met? Sorry for the inconvenience, but this is just insane.

I am having trouble understanding that question- I am guessing you mean the people who live in New York running? I didn't assume they would be.

Money? how about human life and quality of life.

In most developed lands, especially the US, quality of life is very linked to money.
You need money to rebuild and repair the damage. You need money for food, for shelter, for warmth, for water.....

It is a little selfish to say the least.

You have the right to your opinion. We've been talking to our relatives who are helping to distribute food today.
If that marathon had been called off, they wouldn't be there doing that. It will be interesting to see some numbers afterwards to see how many of the people who were registered to race ended up being extra help with the efforts?

Because it would have been better if they were at home watching this on tv and arguing with people on the internet instead.......

I feel so much more virtuous than they.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Read above.
My racing cousins and brother are over there distributing food.
What are we doing?
Sitting on our asses being self rightious.
Because they need that. Someone needs to defend them, right?

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

wow wow look at all the whiners that came out to this thread. (Trying to be positive, so take what I say below in that context)

1.) I applaud the Mayor for continuing the Marathon! 26.2 miles is a feat within itself, and maybe those complaining should train their bodies to run one. (And to get off of the couch) "OMG WHY are they running 26.2 miles, when they could be COMPLAINING LIKE US and NOT DOING ANYTHING!!!!" "I'm mad that those who can run will survive in the future, and people like me will perish because i keep COMPLAINING!!!!"

2.) I applaud the same Mayor for trying the limit the size of bad beverages. (I know all the fat people must be sooo mad right now. "OMG THEY ARE TAKING AWAY my fatty soda!!!!").

3.) Everyone knew this storm was coming. Did they not go the grocery store and stock up on Water, Milk, bread, and toilet paper LIKE EVERYONE ELSE??? I'm pretty sure you can go without food for 7 days, and water for 1-2. Prepare. Prepare. Prepare.

Sorry for everyone that lost lives, but the Marathon is a big thing. Perhaps if you had enough guts to train, and eat right for the marathon, you would see this picture too. Plus you wouldn't be complaining that ... "OMG we are ALL OUT OF POTATO CHIPS... WE HAVE NO PIZZA.. we are going to STARVE!!!! WE HAVE NO WATER because we didn't PREPARE!!!

Yes, i am borderline poor, and live on the eastcoast. And YES i did prepare. I have plenty of ramen noodles and water, etc. And yes I run races, and train.

Plus the marathon is good for people to stop complaining and enjoy the life that you have, and to support and enjoy the race. Sometimes you must STOP and SMELL THE ROSES even if everything around you is gone. You start to see the Negative or Positive People, when bad events happen. Some take any bad event, and can look on the Bright side. some take a bad event and make it worse. Which side do you take? do you SMILE and try to make it a better place? or do you FROWN and complain and argue?

Many people get caught up in 1st world problems. "OMG MY CELL PHONE cannot play ANGRY BIRDS!!!!" People need to learn to survive. people need to be able to run 26.2 miles to survive. What if everyone had to run 26.2 miles to find food? Who would survive????? Maybe we should be admiring these runners, and for everyone to train for marathons ourselves.. to survive.

I applaud the mayor for keeping the show on the road. Good job!

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by OneisOne

There are many runners that are refusing to race on Sunday and I say good on them!

Here is just one that has wrote about why he will not run:

Now, I know there are thousands of runners who have trained all year for this event. They've come from all over the globe to get to NY and go to Staten Island and wait for the sun to come up and the marathon to start. Lots of money and sweat has been spent in preparation for November 4th, 2012. I know because I am one of the people that spent money and sweat. "Well you didn't travel from Kenya to run in the marathon," you could say. That's fair, but the New York Road Runners had ample notice about this hurricane. They had a whole week to evaluate the situation. When they saw that people were staying in hotels because they have no home to go back to they should have stepped on the breaks there and then.

Furthermore, I don't want to have streets cleared along the marathon route unless every street has been cleared of downed trees and power lines. I don't want to be handed a free cup of Gatorade unless every single family in Rockaway has the same luxury. I don't want people cheering me on when nurses who saved thousands of lives did so in complete darkness. I don't want to reach that finish line before the city I love and live in crosses that finish line and cleans up after this natural disaster. I love the NYC Marathon. It changed my life. 75 hours and 401 miles later; I say to hell with it. Just postpone the damn thing.

Screw the NYC Marathon

Thank you for the link. I had a gut feeling many runners would protest Bloomberg's decision by not participating.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   
If I were a runner I might reconsider. People are already tweeting all the different ways they want to disrupt the race, including tripping runners, throwing spoiled food at them, beating them up....

Backlash Against NYC Marathon Shifts to Runners

Just the messenger here... I think it's clear most of the area is not emotionally ready for this. It's too soon and will not have the desired effect. And having the starting point in Staten Island is in all kinds of bad taste.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bluesma

Read above.
What are we doing?

i have nothing against the runners, just that they have no business doing business while people are dying around them. money means nothing when you're dead. if i could get into the city i would be there helping out, unfortunately the roads are congested and the fuel so scarce from extra people wanting to do business, that i can't get there.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   

That marathon means a LOT of money for New Yorkers- with all the damage that was done, they are going to NEED it.

I have a bunch of cousins running in it (they came over from France) and my brother is running in it. He runs to raise money for Multiple Sclerosis research.

The cousins are helping some sort of shelter, I heard this morning. This marathon allowed them to be aware of the situation there and actually lend a hand.

This isn't just a "show". Everything looks superficial if just looked at superficially.

edit on 2-11-2012 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

Exactly. This is much needed good money/support going to NYC. Plus it gets everyone together, and off of the sofa. Good public community atmosphere, instead of worrying about the current problems. Stop and Smell the roses, while they are alive and red, or you may regret.

(For those complaining that runners are getting water, when none of the locals have water. Remember they paid for it in the admin fee for running the race. Perhaps some of the locals should have PREPARED for the storm and bought whatever cases of water they could. Or perhaps Like i did, if low on funds, is fill up pots with tap water, and fill up the tub with tap water too. For emergencies, then no one would be complaining about water. Prepare. Prepare. Survive. No complaining)

But lastly enjoy the race! everyone put a smile on, and support these athletes, and maybe it will inspire some of you to run in one marathon too. For survival. Get out there and run. Stop complaining.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by uSNUUZuLUUz

i wonder if bloomberg gave them the old, keep the chin up speech, you know when they run by people who haven't eaten in 5 days, who are walking through their own excrement, or maybe the ones who got robbed while the police are guarding the runners?

i wonder if the runners will be awarded in some way for having to jog past any bodies they find?

something tells me that won't put a smile on anyone's face.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   

What do you expect everyone to do? Sit and stand around and just stare at the dead bodies, for 1 month, 2 months, 1 year?

When life knocks you down, you GET BACK UP!

Keep the race on. Support. Cheer.

Run along part of the race as well.. Train your Bodies. Train your spirit. Be positive and make the most out of everything. Keep Moving. Whatever you do, Don't STOP MOVING. stop dwelling on the past. stop complaining. put on that glass is "half-full" attitude and pick yourself UP. Pick your neighbor UP. Pick the Country UP. & support the world CLASS athletes coming to your city.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by LittleBlackEagle

Read above.
What are we doing?

i have nothing against the runners, just that they have no business doing business while people are dying around them. money means nothing when you're dead. if i could get into the city i would be there helping out, unfortunately the roads are congested and the fuel so scarce from extra people wanting to do business, that i can't get there.

So... distributing food is doing business? They aren't being paid for that, by the way...

It has been known for as long as civilisation has existed that sports events are an effective way to bond peoples together, create feeling of fellowship, and stir collective energy.

Let's hope people use that energy constructively, instead of destructively (tripping people and all that nonsense mentioned).

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   

i wonder if bloomberg gave them the old, keep the chin up speech, you know when they run by people who haven't eaten in 5 days, who are walking through their own excrement, or maybe the ones who got robbed while the police are guarding the runners?

i wonder if the runners will be awarded in some way for having to jog past any bodies they find?

WHAT???

We have kept in touch today with three different families who are friends of ours, who live in various parts of Manhattan, all three in neighborhoods with no electricity.

NONE of them have reported it to be like that! Can you put up some links or something, because I must have been lied to!

editted to correct-
One of those families lives in Queens, I made a mistake. But they do not have electricity either.
edit on 2-11-2012 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   

WHAT???

We have kept in touch today with three different families who are friends of ours, who live in various parts of Manhattan, all three in neighborhoods with no electricity.

NONE of them have reported it to be like that! Can you put up some links or something, because I must have been lied to!

Exactly. ignore the troll. Things are not that bad. You can see when times are tough, for those that have FAITH in HUMANITY, and those who don't. for those that Spread HOPE, and those that spread FEAR.

i have faith in humanity and i feel that we as humans can get through anything. And survive too, if you prepare. I support the race! keep life flowing. All work and no play makes jack a dull boy. Sometimes all of us need to stop WORK, and actually have recess (as childish as that may sound). It keeps everyone at PEACE.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   
look to above posts directed at me.

i think you're both onto a good thing, but it's just not the right time for it to occur, the city and people who still are suffering will not be helped by this, not now anyway. perhaps down the road when people are out of harms way.

the sheer amount of dead and decaying animals, domestic and wild, should prove interesting on TV.

have you even seen what bodies look like when they're pulled from basement's and homes after a flood, or the smell of mold and rotting food from non operable refrigerators wafting through the streets?

i think a lot of the differences of opinion are mainly generated by the lack of experience with destruction of this magnitude among different posters here. i have done all those things above and it isn't pretty.

i wonder at the amount of manpower and resources it will take to bull doze the wreckage off the streets that the marathon will take place on, boggles the mind really when you can't even find gasoline in the entire city.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   

look to above posts directed at me.

i think you're both onto a good thing, but it's just not the right time for it to occur, the city and people who still are suffering will not be helped by this, not now anyway. perhaps down the road when people are out of harms way.

the sheer amount of dead and decaying animals, domestic and wild, should prove interesting on TV.

have you even seen what bodies look like when they're pulled from basement's and homes after a flood, or the smell of mold and rotting food from non operable refrigerators wafting through the streets?

i think a lot of the differences of opinion are mainly generated by the lack of experience with destruction of this magnitude among different posters here. i have done all those things above and it isn't pretty.

i wonder at the amount of manpower and resources it will take to bull doze the wreckage off the streets that the marathon will take place on, boggles the mind really when you can't even find gasoline in the entire city.

What better way to increase the speed of cleanup than with a deadline, as the start of the marathon! What inspiration stories can be made, that WOW we did all this work and cleanup in a short amount of time.

We went to the moon because we had a DEADLINE, not because we thought it would be fun and we would do it sometime in the future.

Let's band together now, and do what it takes to clean up the mess. Let's keep the marathon on.

inspire.
dream.
Do.
(not sit, wait, complain, and dwell on the past)
edit on 2-11-2012 by uSNUUZuLUUz because: sp

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join