It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Three days Since Sandy and New Yorkers are...dumpster diving for food?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+12 more 
posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Seriously? you can't go without a supermarket for three days?
Digging through dumpsters for food because they are "starving", after only THREE days?
And they say survivalists are the crazies. HA! I bet most of us could go at least a year without a supermarket!

Who's laughing now?

Homes and businesses in the Lower East Side and East Village are still without power and under water. Residents began dumpster diving outside a Key Food supermarket Thursday, looking for whatever food they can take. Jonathan Vigliotti reports.

www.nbcnewyork.com...#!/on-air/as-seen-on/Sandy-Starved-New-Yorkers-Dumpster-Dive/176839571

‘We Need Food, We Need Clothing’: Staten Island Residents Plead for Help 3 Days After Sandy

“We’re going to die! We’re going to freeze! We got 90-year-old people!” Donna Solli told visiting officials. “You don’t understand. You gotta get your trucks down here on the corner now. It’s been three days!”

abcnews.go.com...

I hope they all look at us with a little more respect after this.

+16 more 
posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Thunderheart

This just shows how 90% or more of the population would die very fast in case of a worldwide catastrophe.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Really REALLY hope there's no zombie apocalypse.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by FraternitasSaturni
Really REALLY hope there's no zombie apocalypse.
The "zombies" would be these dumpster divers coming to take your stockpile! headshots would definitely work on these guys.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   
People need to learn humility sometimes. Be happy these people are diving in dumpsters instead of robbing other people. I actually respect these people for their honesty and morals, I know some people who would take a gun and rob someone's food. Some of these people are well to do in society.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Actually there is no one that I know that is laughing at the situation.
A learning experience,yes,but a tragedy none the less.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
People need to learn humility sometimes. Be happy these people are diving in dumpsters instead of robbing other people. I actually respect these people for their honesty and morals, I know some people who would take a gun and rob someone's food. Some of these people are well to do in society.
Maybe they should have prepared better instead of blowing money at the movies or on stupid large screen tv's or whatever other crap they buy on credit to keep up with the Joneses'?
C'mon man...three days??

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by hououinkyouma

This just shows how 90% or more of the population would die very fast in case of a worldwide catastrophe.

If they can find there way to a supermarket dumpseter, I'm pretty sure they can head across town and find a god damn supermarket or store... They make it sound as though New York (the entire city) is a ghost city or something. The only other thing I can think of is they are poor or without money.

link   
Its sad the people don't know what to do after a disaster, everyone should be prepared for natural or any other form of disaster. I'm no hardcore prepper but I could last a week or two off of the canned food i have, but i would also attempt to find more within hours of SHTF. So I hope everyone stays safe down there and let this be a reminder of whats possible.

link   
What I don't understand is... there is a wilderness somewhere around there correct? At least one person with a hunting skill set... In that setting, I would be going on hunting excursions and feeding the people around me. The problem with the world is we think we have become more civilized and cultured in our survival. What actually has happened is we have become dependent upon convenience without taking the time to learn a survival skill (not everyone is like that of course or we wouldn't have hunters... key word is dependent).

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thunderheart

‘We Need Food, We Need Clothing’: Staten Island Residents Plead for Help 3 Days After Sandy

Sounds more like staten island residents are pleading to get free stuff.

Voluntarily Ive gone 17 days without eating, only drinking juice. 7 days Ive gone with 0 caloric intake, only consuming water. Neither time did I ever actually begin the starvation process, and Im already a slim person. Most people have little to no self-discipline and exceptionally weak wills when it comes to controlling urges, so its not surprising that after three days (probably eating oreos, frozen pizzas, potatoe chips and beer the whole time) people are claiming to be "starving".

I bet most of them are fat as # too. Itll do them some good to go without McDonalds or kraft Mac&cheese for awhile

This is all just part of the drama and hype this spectacle storm has become, and this storm wasnt even that powerful. Could you imagine the abject chaos and complete violent detonation of society and civility if a seriously powerful storm hit NY, like an actual hurricane and not just a strong tropical depression?
edit on 11/1/2012 by CaticusMaximus because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   

From your link:

Homes and businesses in the Lower East Side and East Village are still without power and under water. Residents began dumpster diving outside a Key Food supermarket Thursday, looking for whatever food they can take.

Because the stores had to throw out tons of food that was spoiling due to the outage. They can't sell it regardless of the circumstances because it is "spoiled". By law, they're not even allowed to give it away.

Hungry people don't care about that. So, yah...

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   
The Red Cross has a DONATE button on my Yahoo. They collect billions of dollars during and after every disaster. So can any poster list the current Red Cross sites that are set up to hand out food, water and blankets? Must not be too well known where they RC is or people wouldn't be Dumpster Diving already.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   
How does anyone know these weren't "prepared" people with a basement so well stocked, the neighborhood could live off it for a week. ....yeah.. Basement full. Hmm..

There is no joy in the suffering of other people like this...

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrptr

From your link:

Homes and businesses in the Lower East Side and East Village are still without power and under water. Residents began dumpster diving outside a Key Food supermarket Thursday, looking for whatever food they can take.

Because the stores had to throw out tons of food that was spoiling due to the outage. They can't sell it regardless of the circumstances because it is "spoiled". By law, they're not even allowed to give it away.

Hungry people don't care about that. So, yah...

pretty much this. health codes in NYC are some of the strictest in the world and even having some spoiled food in a supermarket could result in a hefty fine if health inspectors were to show up (which they would regardless of the storm). and if they give away the food for free and somebody gets sick they would be able to sue the supermarket for selling spoiled food

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   

I would agree with you, except one question comes to mind. Most people keep their food in the kitchen on the main floor. Some people have pantry's, and maybe even store some extra in the basement or garage.

How many people store their food in water tight containers? How many people store their food on the second floor or attic? Not many I would think.

These people may have had their original supplies destroyed in a house flood, or rotten in the fridge/freezer after a day or two of the power going out. Tip: If it is only the power going out, eat the stuff in the fridge and freezer first hopefully before it goes bad. This gives you the right to pig out on that ice cream.

Granted they would still have their canned food. I don't know if some of the food that comes sealed in a thin plastic containers would be water tight such as a sleeve of crackers. Everything not sealed, I would think would be bad.

Most of the time my family of five could last a week or more with the food we have, since I like to only go grocery shopping twice a month. I don't know if it would last if everything got soaking wet.

Unlike others, I have taken 2 liter water bottles and filled them up awhile ago. I usually make sure I put fresh water in them every 6 months or so. I would have alot more, except my husband started complaining about not having space for them. 17 up stairs for drinking, and 15 which includes 2 gallon milk jugs for flushing the toliet and other stuff as needed. I havn't changed the water in the ones downstairs in over a year.

I'm thinking I probably need more than that, but that is what my family will tolerate right now. I wonder if I would get a thank you if something does happen? Maybe I should start thinking about how I store the food. Then my family will really start calling me crazy.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by CaticusMaximus

Most people have little to no self-discipline and exceptionally weak wills when it comes to controlling urges, so its not surprising that after three days (probably eating the whole time) people are claiming to be "starving"...

Obviously they are not as "disciplined" as you. So cut em some slack? Nobody "trains" for a disaster or receives advance notice of them. Who saw this coming? Not the people that struggle and get nothing daily anyway.

I doubt the whole town is lining up out back at the dumpster. People dive in good times too. I heard word that the stores are pitching their spoiling foods and word spreads quick among hungry bellies. Some of those folks have family, kids. At this point they are not guaranteed another meal for... how long?

One more thing. "survival" is not just not eating. These people have endured quite a bit since Monday. They are cold, blind and their stuff is soggy. That burns a lot more calories than at most other times.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Some people have to learn by their mistakes. I don't understand why this is but it is. They won't listen to others telling them to prep yet will go dive in a dumpster after it happens. If they have learned than it is a learning experience, but they may also learn that there is food to be had other ways. A person could get sick eating food out of a dumpster, who knows what kind of bacteria they have.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   
My husband once told me that many people don't buy a 2 week grocery order anymore. And then live off of just a few days worth of groceries at a time. Now how crazy is that? Whenever a major storm was coming in, folks would buy the stores out. And I thought they were all absolutely nuts.
Then they would get home and say, "oh drats the stores are out of everything, what will I do? Oh BTW, do you have any extra TP?"

My very own sister needed me to deliver her groceries from my pantry the last time we lost our power. Oh and she needed a manual can opener. We had three, and gave her one. We also got her propane to cook with since hers was empty. Plus she had no clue where to get dry ice since the outage was pretty long. If you have the space, why would anyone want to run to the grocery store every few days anyways? I live in Pa and never even looked at a store prior to Sandy.
edit on 1-11-2012 by elouina because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join