It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best Theory On Conspiracies?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   
"Yes, there is a conspiracy, indeed there are a great number of conspiracies, all tripping each other up...the main thing that I learned about conspiracy theories is that conspiracy theorists actually believe in the conspiracy because it is more comforting. The truth of the world is that it is chaotic.

The truth is, that it is not the Jewish banking conspiracy, or the grey aliens, or the 12 foot reptiliods from another dimension that are in control. The truth is far more frightening, no one is in control, the world is rudderless"

- Alan Moore (corrected!)

After spending a great deal of my life steeped in the conspiracy I am starting to look back at it from a distance and quotes like this are making more and more sense. Good food for thought, just wanted to share a different perspective.

Much Peace...
edit on 31-10-2012 by wrdwzrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by wrdwzrd
the main thing that I learned about conspiracy theories is that conspiracy theorists actually believe in the conspiracy because it is more comforting.

There is nothing comforting about any conspiracy I ever read. No comfort in that we were created by an unknown entity or entities, at an unknown time, for an unknown purpose and whilst trying to discover all the reasons why, we are thwarted at every turn by somebody or some thing watching our every move and controlling what we are allowed to do and know.
I was born, and I will die. That's all I know for sure, and that is the biggest conspiracy to me.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Conspiracy theories are the product of our natural affinity for truth and knowledge. We use them as tools to uncover the truth, many times they are proven wrong, but sometimes they are correct and an awareness of reality grows from that.

Some people just cannot accept events at face value unless all the pertinent facts are known.

JFK's assassination being an example, the reason so many conspiracy theories spun of that event, was because of the sheer number of unknown variables and as humans we find it poking us in the back of our minds wanting to know what exactly happened.

Conspiracy theories are basically hypothesizes, however they are predicated on the notion of deceit or disinformation.

My opinion anyways.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   
To think no one is trying to take over the world is straight up retarded(not directed at anyone in this thread, just a general statement). With 7 billion people on this planet, a few of them HAVE to at least be trying to take it over. It doesn't matter if they've made any headway or not. Odds are that there IS a conspiracy of people trying to take over the world.
Hasn't anyone seen Pinky and the Brain?
To think a "Brain" doesn't actually exist is ignorant.

The only question that remains is how successful have the people who have been conspiring been?

edit on 31-10-2012 by Ghost375 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by wrdwzrd

I believe it was Alan Moore who said that, unless he copied Watts:

I think he was inspired by Robert Anton Wilson—the father of modern conspiracy theories.

edit on 31-10-2012 by TheSubversiveOne because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Yeah... Alan Watts didn't say that. I thought it sounded really fishy: he could have never talked about "greys" or "reptilloids." lol He died in the early 70s.

Originally posted by AccessDenied

Originally posted by wrdwzrd
the main thing that I learned about conspiracy theories is that conspiracy theorists actually believe in the conspiracy because it is more comforting.

There is nothing comforting about any conspiracy I ever read. No comfort in that we were created by an unknown entity or entities, at an unknown time, for an unknown purpose and whilst trying to discover all the reasons why, we are thwarted at every turn by somebody or some thing watching our every move and controlling what we are allowed to do and know.
I was born, and I will die. That's all I know for sure, and that is the biggest conspiracy to me.
Knowing you'll leave this place one day should probably be one of your better comforts, imo, unless you're REALLY enjoying life - but you wouldn't want to spoil it by dragging it on and on, now would you? Every book has a last page, the best of which leaves with a great sense of closure.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   
thanks guys, i found that quote attributed to watts on another site, i guess they had it wrong! thanks for correcting me...

new topics

top topics

join