It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cold in Florida

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   
I'm gonna be honest. I'm a yankee-born guy with a penchant for cold weather. I just love the cold air especially when it's zipping through alley-ways and steel buildings.

That being said, my favorite time of the year in Florida is winter, for the sole fact that the air gets nice and cold down here, and the sun is almost always out! I've never thought this place would've existed when I was a kid. It's just perfect weather to me. Cool air, Sunny and clear skies, Orange leaves. It's beautiful and it just feels good. It gives you nostalgia about places you've never been to. You reminisce about events that haven't even happened. It's not a sunny, beach fun time feeling, more like a 'sit at home and play some classic video games' feeling or 'sit at home and watch some classic films or TV shows'.

Like, around this time of year, western films just...seem less boring. The streets are quieter, and the sky...it's just so clear. You forget about all of the problems with this country even though elections are next week. It was around this time that Wilma hit, and alot of people (myself included) had lost power to their homes. Yeah, trees were smashed around, but the weather just seemed to calm everyone.

Anyone else has wonderful weather in their area that isn't the normal weather there? Or wonderful weather in general?

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   
I am curious what is considered cold in Florida? LOL Weather is fine here in Colorado, it has warmed up to 64°F and it is warm enough to go outside without a jacket. Got some decent pictures of the mountains though, it was finally a clear day across the Rocky Mountains! We have had fires up until just recently so it has been smokey across the front range. Today I went out and it was so clear!!

That said, I'd still much rather live somewhere further south where it stays warm in the winter. Somewhere like ohh Florida? LOL

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by mr10k

i too live in florida.

though i was unaware winter occured here.

i miss snow.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by MaMaa

the "winter" is nice.
the summer will effing kill you.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by CagliostroTheGreat
reply to post by MaMaa

the "winter" is nice.
the summer will effing kill you.

I'm guessing hot and humid, which sounds perfect to me! I was in Galveston, Texas this past summer. It was 114°F and so humid that when I walked outside my skin felt damp. It was awesome for my skin and hair! LOL It did take a day or two to get used to the heat part, but I loved every minute of it.

Then again I am a Colorado native and I have been here for 37 years now. I am so tired of the cold, the snow, the brown dead ugly look through winter and how the cold goes to your bone even when you are inside sitting by a fire and under mounds of blankets. LOL

Yup, I'm over it all.. need some heat! Of course my opinion is tainted by the fact that we already have had snow twice here and it isn't even Halloween.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   
It's gorgeous in west Texas today, high of around 70 with bright sunshine. The rest of the week will be clear in the upper 70s to 80 degrees, a bit on the warm side for out here.

We had a cold front blow through a few days ago but it is abating. I love the cold weather. I spent most of my life in California, with its very boring weather and temperate climate, so I dig the cold, and I love it when it snows here. I'm losing my patience with this tee-shirt-and-shorts weather. It doesn't feel like the end of October, it feels like May.

Because I'm retired, snow is welcome. I don't have to go out in it, I can kick back in my pajamas and enjoy it. Last year at this time, we had snow here on the plains. This year....complete opposite. That's life in Texas, though....the weather is always contrary.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by mr10k

I'm in Miami. Woke up to it being in the 60's today.
Nice, crisp and low humidity.

Awesome weather. Almost makes me want to go out and walk around South Beach.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Southeast Texas here. Beautiful, sun is shining, breezy. Low this morning 37, high this afternoon 67. It won't last long though. In a few days lows in the 60s, highs in the 80s.

Old tried and true saying in Texas: If you don't like the weather just stick around, it'll be different in a day or two.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by littled16
Southeast Texas here. Beautiful, sun is shining, breezy. Low this morning 37, high this afternoon 67. It won't last long though. In a few days lows in the 60s, highs in the 80s.

Old tried and true saying in Texas: If you don't like the weather just stick around, it'll be different in a day or two.

LOL I think everywhere has a similar saying. I know here in Colorado we say "If you don't like the weather, wait five minutes, it'll change. However the phrase was first 'created' by Will Rogers and he was speaking of Oklahoma.
edit on 29-10-2012 by MaMaa because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by MaMaa

That's probably true, but maaaan does it apply!

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by littled16

Old and true saying for southeast Texas, maybe. But here in central Texas the saying is a little different: "If you don't like the weather, wait five minutes."
I enjoy the mild winters here. We have the occasional fluke in weather, for example; I recall having snow in April of 2008 in Waco. The day prior to the snow, the temperature was in the 80's if I recall correctly.

ETA: I don't believe the five-minute rule applies for summer. Summer here is hot and humid, only matched, from my experience, by Ft. Riley, Kansas, Ft. Bragg, KS, and Ft. Polk, LA. I shudder at the thought of ever returning to those places, and in the case of Ft. Riley, winter is brutal there as well with all the wind.
edit on 29-10-2012 by Deemo Diablo because: Adding stuff. Wanna fight about it?

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by littled16
reply to post by MaMaa

That's probably true, but maaaan does it apply!

Indeed it does! Well actually I don't know about Texas, even though my family is from there. LOL I know that in Colorado though it can be sunny and in the 60s and then blizzarding by that night.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by CagliostroTheGreat
reply to post by mr10k

i too live in florida.

though i was unaware winter occured here.

i miss snow.

Haha. I miss snow too friend xD. Growing up with snow and then having it stripped away from you is tough! The crisp feeling of white artifacts falling from the sky, the breeze. Everything about the Northeastern US weather, I just love. I don't think it's ever snowed in Florida since like the 70s. If it has, it definitely wasn't in Coral Springs / South Florida where I live. More like Talahassee and Jacksonville

Still, cold weather with clear skies seems to just be the best weather to me.

reply to post by MaMaa

Haha yeah. Summer in Florida kills as well. It's pretty harsh in summer and the air is so thick and humid that a simple walk to the store will leave your shirt soaking. I was always under the impression that Texas never had snow either until I reached my teen years and did some research

Colorado? xD That mountainous area? Perpetual snow eh?

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by mr10k
Colorado? xD That mountainous area? Perpetual snow eh?

LOL, not really, just in late fall, winter and spring. Or as I like to call it pre winter, winter & winter part II. LOL Actually we have had two light snows already this month and it has since melted off. We don't normally get snow till halloween so I have a feeling this winter is going to be a long, cold, and snowy winter. I'm in the foothills of the Rockies though, but it's only the western half of the state that is mountainous. That is where I am.. north western CO, just north of Denver.

new topics

top topics

join