It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Are The Chances?!? Hurricane 'Sandy' Drill From 1997

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Why would there be a drill before certain events?
Possibly because externalization of the hierarchy.
It could be that if the dark side wants to gain spiritual power from orchestrated events they must allow plans to be externalized before hand.
Soon everything will be out in the open.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by moniesisfun

you are entitled to your opinion but i don't find anything disrespectful about that post.
clearly, you were clueless, i just pointed it out.

good, then we agree cause here's what i found disrespectful ...

but do know that they all stem from the equator
which i quoted and responded to.

implying you "know" wrong information is highly disrespectful to those who do.

then, you go on to say ...

So basically, I think you're stretching to make this into a conspiracy
if that's the case, find another topic.

and if that wasn't bad enough, you respond with ...

So it seems that you're the one who knows little about hurricanes
yeah, you're right, i've only been studying and living through them for the better part of 30yrs, but what do i know, right ??

now, back to your most recent response ...

You say this happens ~1,000km from the equator

no i didn't ... i said the southern most tip of the Sahara is STILL 1000km north of the equator.
[that is not what you claim]

if you cannot discuss reality vs your fantasy, perhaps you shouldn't post at all?

I said, and reasonably so, that it forms near the equator
no, you didn't cause if you had, i wouldn't have responded as i did.

i'm not arguing about the Earth's rotation as a contributing factor cause that isn't where this discussion started nor am i going to engage your off-topic direction.

fyi, the Coriolis influences the direction it spins, not much more.

wrong again ... Altlantic, hurricane ... Pacific, cyclone.
northern hemisphere = spin right ... southern hemisphere = spin left
[edit to add --> the above ^^^ left & right may be wrong, i didn't look first and i'm dyslexic ... so, if it's backwards, i apologize in advance but the point remains the same]

i've lived through plenty Eastern US landfalls and NO they do not track the same "general route".
not even from year to year let alone decade to decade (as the fictional Sandy was 15yrs ago)

and say that there have been numerous hurricanes to have hit New York that took the same general path since 1938
but again, that ^^^ isn't what you said.
you said since 2000, and since then, there has been a whole 3, not "numerous" as you claim.
fyi, your link included all of them since 1938, not just those post 2000.
[heck, it even included TSs which aren't even hurricanes]

if you want to prove me wrong, find a better link

oh, believe me, i can be a bigger jerk ... wanna see ??

btw, i don't demand respect, unlike you, i earn it.
perhaps you should try it ... splitting hairs is what we do here.
learn it, love it or leave it.

edit on 28-10-2012 by Honor93 because: edit

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Honor93

You are a troll.

Anyone is free to see your lies.

You won't get a rise out of me.

That is all.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by MrSpad

They have six lists of 21 names they rotate through. One a year. Half are male, half are female. Before th 50s they were all feamale. The names are always the same and only retired if a store causes substantial damage. A total of 76 have been retired. So simple math tells us that only 202 names have been used ever. So the odds are not bad at all.

since you provided no link for this nonsense, perhaps this one will help you understand why you're wrong.
geology.com...

human/female names were not used reglularly until after WWII (1953) and they were used exclusively until the 70s.

from link above
In 1978, meteorologists watching storms in the Eastern North Pacific began using men's names for half of the storms.
- snip -
Today, the World Meteorological Organization maintains the lists of Atlantic hurricane names. They have six lists which are reused every six years.

[that's alphabetical possibilities, not pre-determined sequencing]
when a "named letter" is retired, the letter is re-used for a new name ... hence, Katrina which will be replaced by Kirk, Karen, Kyle, Kate, Karl & Katia - 6 different names eminating from the same "alphabetical listing of 21 anticipated developing storms" ... get it ??

ETA: in case you aren't following my math, 51 retired storms have been replaced with 51 new names on 6 separate lists containing 21 names each ... that's 126 names total + 51 replaced = 177 total names scheduled to be used until 2017 (not counting "changes" along the way).
should any be retired between now and then, the amount scheduled will increase.
since the 70s, not one Atlantic named storm has been a repeat name.
edit on 28-10-2012 by Honor93 because: ETA

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by ownbestenemy

i don't quite follow your line of thinking here, please clarify.

And who is going to suspend elections? The Federal government doesn't have control over elections, those are State controlled. So maybe some states postpone them but I would find that extremely unlikeable and it would only relate to Congressional and local government elections. The selection of electors can be postponed safely due to the fact that electors meet later to cast their ballots for the presidency

who can ?? the sitting POTUS or each state independently.
yes, POTUS has the authority to suspend the entire process.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by moniesisfun

and you are rude and confused.
however, that is nothing new here either, carry on.
thank you for at least reading my input, that's all i ask anyway

even if this storm proceeds along the fictional Sandy's path to landfall, it still proves nothing.
however, the conspiratorial aspect of it will remain.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Some of you might want to chime in on this thread:Is HAARP feeding SANDY (The Conspiracy Side)

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Honor93
reply to post by Ghost375

Well there's about 270 different names used for Hurricanes.....
so 1 in 270
yeah, in about 10yrs time ... 270 ? hahahahahahahaha

there are nearly 15 named storms per year for decades --> all of which have a name of their own which is retired once assigned.

there are plenty of names to choose from so it is most ironic that the Drill name and this particular storm name are identical.
(not close, not an abbreviation, not slang, not even an "i" vs "y")

yes, i would agree that all of the similarities are beyond coincidence.

seriously man....1997, 10 years ago

back to school for you

based on your logic 15 storms in 15 years...thats 225 not to far off

you made his point
edit on 28-10-2012 by THEDUDE86 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by PaperbackWriter

you do realize that there have been 11 hurricanes in October since 1950....so not quite as rare as you would make it seem

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by deadeyedick

That's exactly it.

Perhaps their thought process requires the "warning" (drills), then they are free from guilt or blame.....when we don't heed their warning. It was our choice not to listen.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by THEDUDE86

seriously man....1997, 10 years ago

back to school for you

based on your logic 15 storms in 15 years...thats 225 not to far off

you made his point

huh
??
you missed the chuckles surrounding the answer or should i have used /sarcasm to be more specific ?

no logic employed in that response, see the next one, it's spelled out.
there are actually a total of 177 (i think, not looking right now) scheduled to be used through 2017 ... which is not even close to either of your answers.
6 lists with 21 names each = 126 names
add 51 that have been replaced and another 3 that have been changed and that's a total of 180.
good for you ??

ETA: btw, i am counting the 51 since 1979 (when both male & female names used), not 1953 when names became the standard.
the other poster mentioned 70something but provided no link.
my calculations/explanation has a link to support my input.
edit on 28-10-2012 by Honor93 because: ETA
oooops, my error, it wasn't a following post, it was an ETA from here
edit on 28-10-2012 by Honor93 because: add link to previous ETA

edit on 28-10-2012 by Honor93 because: remove misplaced link

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I wonder if they took nuclear power plants into consideration during the Sandy drill?

Do we have multiple Fukushima events about to take place?

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Signals
reply to post by iwilliam

Interesting, one wonders if they could perhaps call off the elections during a "national state of emergency", bring in UN troops to quell riots / looting.....

There was a terrible hurricane/storm like a year ago.....and power was out for a while.....
there weren't widespread riots/looting.

They'd only be able to cancel the elections for a couple of weeks at most.....giving plenty of time for the president to take his oath in January.
the logistics of what you are saying are illogical....

Don't get me wrong. It could be a really bad hurricane, but I highly doubt Obama would pull some crazy move to try to become dictator.

edit on 28-10-2012 by Ghost375 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Signals
I wonder if they took nuclear power plants into consideration during the Sandy drill?

Do we have multiple Fukushima events about to take place?

That would be the worst disaster ever.

However, the people who built Fukushima reactors really dropped the ball....
they were recommended to built it to withstand 30 foot waves, instead they built it to withstand only 10 foot waves, and 20 foot waves hit.....
I'm pretty sure the US has better standards on their reactors.
edit on 28-10-2012 by Ghost375 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Ghost375

Nope, in most cases we have GE reactors, just like the ones at Fukushima. Plus, most of our plants are older....
edit on 28-10-2012 by Signals because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Signals

i would bet ... Not ... because then, nothing like Fukushima was ever conceived as a possibility.
chernobyl and tmi were the worst incidents they thought we'd endure ...

kinda puts a whole new light on things, doesn't it ??

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Honor93

And you couldn't be more wrong about the Atlantic and Pacific names if you tried. It's a hurricane up until the International Date Line, when it becomes a typhoon. South of the equator it's a cyclone.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

really ??
since you provided no link, debunk this one, instead of me, personally.

weather.about.com...
The name 'hurricane' is really just a common named for a tropical cyclone. This type of storm is commonly called a cyclone, hurricane, or typhoon. And, if the strength of the storm is not too intense, we call them tropical depressions or tropical storms. It can all sound very confusing, but the answer is in the longitude where the storm occurs.

they are all "cyclones" in one form or another, however the deciding factor in what it will be referred to is longitude not latitude (n/s hemispheres)

from same link
Cyclones
A cyclone is both the name for the whirling, organized storms we call a hurricane or typhoon as well as the name for storms in the Indian ocean.

however, in western media, most are called hurricanes unless they are a typhoon.

edit: and yes, the IDL (180) is the "turning point" in naming them but that is a longitude factor, not a latitude one.

edit on 28-10-2012 by Honor93 because: add txt

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Honor93

The fact that they are all cyclones doesn't change the fact that they are called hurricanes up until the Date Line. All you have to do is look at any weather page talking about the storms to see that they are hurricanes in the eastern Pacific, typhoons in the western Pacific, and cyclones in the southern hemisphere.

en.m.wikipedia.org...

The word typhoon, which is used today in the Northwest Pacific, may be derived from Hindi/Urdu, Persian and Arabic ţūfān (طوفان), which in turn originates from Greek Typhon (Τυφών), a monster from Greek mythologyassociated with storms.[100] The related Portuguese word tufão, used in Portuguese for typhoons, is also derived from Typhon.[101] The word is also similar to Chinese "taifeng" ("toifung" in Cantonese) (颱風 – great winds), and also to the Japanese "taifu" (台風).The word hurricane, used in the North Atlantic and Northeast Pacific, is derived from huracán, the Spanish word for the Carib/Taino storm god, Juracán. This god is believed by scholars to have been at least partially derived from the Mayan creator god, Huracan. Huracan was believed by the Maya to have created dry land out of the turbulent waters. The god was also credited with later destroying the "wooden people", the precursors to the "maize people", with an immense storm and flood.[102][103] Huracan is also the source of the word orcan, another word for a particularly strong European windstorm.[103]

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

what does your link about the origin of the words have to do with anything ?
and wiki ?? could you please use a more credible source when discussing science ?

word semantics is not what this thread is about so, if this is a case of you need to be "right", fine, whatever.

do you have anything to add to the "topic" or more of this argumentative nonsense ?

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join