It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Early Halloween Costume alerts Bomb Squad

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   

SAN MATEO (CBS SF) — A man who decided to try out his costume and dress up ahead of Halloween prompted an explosives scare in downtown San Mateo Monday that resulted in the dispatch of a police bomb squad, authorities said. Police received several calls about a man in a car front of a market along the first block of East 4th Street wearing what witnesses described as a full gas mask and army gear with several grenades hanging around his neck. The San Mateo County sheriff’s bomb squad responded and evacuated a half-block area about 9:30 a.m.

News Story

This guy is an idiot. Even if he thought this should be funny and light hearted, wearing fake grenades in public is asking for trouble. He really has no room to be shocked at this reaction. Honestly he is lucky it didn't get him killed with how itchy police trigger fingers can be these days.

I'm surprised they didn't cite him for causing a panic. Instead he got off with possession of an inert Grenade.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Causing no harm to person or property should never get this kind of response.

Inert grenade charge? Please.

I'm ashamed to call myself human.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Perfect example of how wimpy US citizens have become, not one person had the stones to walk over and ask dude what he was doing.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   
If this is an acceptable Halloween costume then how many REAL bombers are going to be walking around with gas masks and hand grenades? I hate to think about it.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Well, i agree the charge is absurd, they obviously wanted to get him for something/anything since they got called out and were probably pissed off at him.

Without knowing what it was he had on him though i can't say if it was technically illegal or not.

CA Penal Code

Illegal:

any metal military practice handgrenade or metal replica handgrenade

Not Illegal?:

(15)Any plastic toy handgrenade, or any metal military practice handgrenade or metal replica handgrenade that is a relic, curio, memorabilia, or display item, that is filled with a permanent inert substance or that is otherwise permanently altered in a manner that prevents ready modification for use as a grenade.

But honestly, dressing up before a costumed holiday with fake bombs around your neck, it's going to get a response, even if you don't think it should. That is why i say he is an idiot. I'm not making a statement about if i think it should, thats a whole other debate really.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by LockNLoad
Perfect example of how wimpy US citizens have become, not one person had the stones to walk over and ask dude what he was doing.

I am curious what he was doing. Why go out dressed like that? If you wanted to try it on, then try it on, see how it looks. Done.

To go out driving around like that, he obviously wanted to shock or scare people thinking it was funny, and maybe it is funny, but Police aren't much into thinking anything is funny in America anymore

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   

"We've got a live one here boys!"

Seriously though, whoever this guy was, he's an idiot.
edit on 10-10-2012 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow

"We've got a live one here boys!"

Seriously though, whoever this guy was, he's an idiot.
edit on 10-10-2012 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

L
L
now that guy is grounds for calling swat or the national guard

join