It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police Harrassment: "Surreptitious recording of a stop-question-and-frisk in New York"

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

It is terrorism, especially how cops treat the people they stop. And 9/10 of the people frisked are innocent, it's a violation of rights and resources. I think NYC and Philly was the only place that had the policy, I'm not sure though..it's the only places I've seen mentioned in articles and such.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by usmc0311

Well the citizens that aren't frisked generally do not care because it doesn't affect them. The poor and minority communities have held multiple protests against the policies and filed law suits.

Thousands March Silently to Protest Stop-and-Frisk Policies

In a slow, somber procession, several thousand demonstrators conducted a silent march on Sunday down Fifth Avenue to protest the New York Police Department’s stop-and-frisk policies, which the organizers say single out minority groups and create an atmosphere of martial law for the city’s black and Latino residents.

www.nytimes.com...

New York City stop-and-frisk lawsuit gets class-action status

U.S. District Judge Shira Scheindlin in Manhattan said in a written ruling that there was "overwhelming evidence" that the centralized stop-and-frisk program led to thousands of unlawful stops.

usnews.nbcnews.com...

edit on 10-10-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Bloomberg has turned NYC into its own little Police State. The latest and most hilarious is the limit on the Soda sizes

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   
I have come to the conclusion that we need to make technology work for us. Maybe its time for us to, by default, have our own spy cameras recording our every move and transmit the result over the internet to a our own cloud storage. We can delete almost all of it within 24hrs BUT every now and then we will have a recording to f-up all the jobsworths and mini hitlers out there.

This will only be necessary for a short while until all the a-holes in authority are behind bars or in a new job where they can do no harm. The authorities will know that "we the people" can switch on our self preservation surveillance technology at any time.

How would any cop behave if they knew they could be recorded have no idea where the camera's are and that any images are instantly stored thousands of miles away.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
there is no longer a sense of community in the 5 boroughs, and a large part of it has to do with what's happening inside the NYPD. i've been driving around this city for a while now, lived here most of my life, and can tell you all that it has become the most disconnected, nerve wrecking city i've ever been to. it's gotten to a point where i was being pulled over just for having a certain model of car that i happen to have.

RealSpoke, those videos you put up are too accurate. they no longer want the cooperation of their community. they want to intimidate, control and separate us from them. of course, the police officers don't really "want" this, rather they are being told to do so by their superiors. either way though, if it's tyrannical, maybe they should either do their job or find a new one, eh?

also, they are now EVERYWHERE. that 4.6 billion jp morgan and chase pumped into our police department really eradicated any reason for the police to have any kind of courtesy, respect or professionalism left. they're being bought out just like our politicians and representatives.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by yorkshirelad

yorkshire, what an INCREDIBLE idea! you are absolutely right, the community should set up a neighborhood surveillance system just as sophisticated, if not more so, than the police. the only problem we have now is figuring out how to bring a community together.

in my neighborhood, for example, i literally know none of my neighbors except a friend that lives down the block who i've known since i was 8. on top of that, i can already bet that some of the neighbors i do see walking around are so disillusioned and non-community oriented that they wouldn't even give me their ears for a second about something like this. it truly is a difficult problem with many incredible outcomes. all we need is support from each other, and this is precisely the kind of thing the officials in this city want to stop. hey go figure, we voted in these belligerent monkeys so often that they can just start virtually electing themselves now. i wonder what they'll make of all the demands we still have with powers like that.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

Thanks for the information. This is something that should be protested no matter which community it happens in. It is just wrong in my opinion.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by ColoradoJens

Hey GogoVic. I posted this story yesterday. It is going to get removed due to profanity. Doesn't matter how important the content is.

CJ

I've had posts removed simply because the mod didn't like the subject matter or my opinion, even when it was clear there was no violation of t&c. Of course, you know what they say about power - even the nonexistent perceived "power" you could ever hold over somebody on an internet message board.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke

Originally posted by ColoradoJens

Hey GogoVic. I posted this story yesterday. It is going to get removed due to profanity. Doesn't matter how important the content is.

CJ

That doesn't make any sense, people post videos with profanity in them daily on ATS.

I know. And this thread is still running, no issues. Go figure - mine was identical. And back to the OP - how have we as a nation sunk so low this is not on our meter - unless you are black or hispanic living in NYC?

CJ

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   
i wonder how many stop and frisks are happening in manhattan and the upper east side.

how would cnn and the media handle that situation if cops where randomly stopping jews, frisking them and threatening to break their arms.

how would mayor bloomberg respond to all of his jewish donors and backers if that were happening.

he'll never know because i can guarantee there are no stop and frisks in certain neighbourhoods designated by mayor bloomberg.

or italian neighbourhoods for that matter. do you think these cops have the balls to go to little italy, where on any day of the week you could see a group of ten "suspicious" guys in leather jackets and track suits standing outside a coffee shop and do a stop and frisk.

this is a racist policy targeting black kids who pose little threat. trayvon martin syndrome.

they would never stop a group of hard looking gangbangers because they'll most likely get shot or get into a gun battle.

then the whole stop and frisk policy would be questioned and how it could have all been avoided by respecting the 4th amendment.

the policy would be beneficial if the cops had balls and actually targeted known criminals.
edit on 10-10-2012 by randomname because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Cop: 'Because you're a f'n mutt.'

Does the word 'mutt' mean something in NYC that it doesn't in the rest of the world? That's racist, cut and dry. Nothing like just coming out and saying it.

Too many cops in this world.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   
This is a horrible policy, and should be stopped, I'm sure the Founding Fathers are rolling in their graves. This is not a new policy either < Linky > it has been been SCOTUS approved since 1968, I like the dissenting opinion.

Justice Douglas:
"We hold today that the police have greater authority to make a 'seizure' and conduct a 'search' than a judge has to authorize such action. We have said precisely the opposite over and over again."
"To give the police greater power than a magistrate is to take a long step down the totalitarian path. Perhaps such a step is desirable to cope with modern forms of lawlessness. But if it is taken, it should be the deliberate choice of the people through a constitutional amendment."

Bold emphasis is mine, and the quote is thought provoking.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Mexicans in Arizona have been living like this for a few years now...and they have to carry their identificatikn papers everywhere they go or else they will get detained until they can prove their identity.

If it isn't happening to whitey then ATS does not care. It's sad but true

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by muse7

muse what're you talking about? i think this thread is proof that ats cares, since this stop and frisk policy largely effects blacks and hispanics, as well as low income neighborhoods. you might have to calibrate your response a little bit. white people are the least effected group. i really don't know why you'd even say that if you took the time to go through the information posted in this thread.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Monger
Cop: 'Because you're a f'n mutt.'

Does the word 'mutt' mean something in NYC that it doesn't in the rest of the world? That's racist, cut and dry. Nothing like just coming out and saying it.

Too many cops in this world.

monger, the meaning stays the same. it's purely racist. if you were a regular in new york city, this kind of phrase coming from a cop would be like the sun shining - it happens every day.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Uh Oh.... (Puts on Kevlar) I'm gonna get it on this one so I'll just think ahead.

Okay, the stop and frisk is crappy....but....This was being done all over Southern California clear back into and all through the 1980's. Heck, we just called it "ID Checks" back then and I think some of the cops did too, informally. Formally, they're called FI's or Field Investigations in most places. I don't know about New York. That's a whole different world as I saw from a truck over the years. They are WRONG......but also Common...and the fact almost no one knows they happen routinely, every day leads to my next point....

I don't know a thing about who this kid is or what his background may be. Stop and Frisk is one thing, but it's that personal touch and attention he gets too. It would appear, very personal and individual. Now the kid sure as heck isn't going to tell anyone if he's sitting as a suspect on..say a sex offense, or a killing. Who knows?

I mention the possibility because I've heard cops talk about this, outside of the random side the thread is also talking about. Individual attention can be just as simple as, he got off or they can't get him on something they figure he absolutely did do and it's got them pissed enough to try and bait him into doing something stupid. Anything....would be my take on the mindset.

Could be rogue cops or just burn out cases getting off on screwing with a neighborhood teen.....or the teen could be someone the neighborhood would be quite happy to see go, soonest. Do we know either way for sure?

(One other point which may matter and I'm not seeing anyone mention.... I heard the term Mutt used a lot growing up around cops. It's interchangeable with suspect, perp, con, etc etc etc...just for context and not necessarily any slur beyond that..)

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Keep in mind that most trends start on the coasts, and sweep inwards to an urban/suburban city near you. This is a battle that needs to be won now before it becomes commonplace everywhere. If you know you're going to be frisked - I know you have a smart phone - download the secret recording app that makes it look like your phone is on standby (locked) and record your day. Thousands of these friskees need to be coming out about this. Everyday people with nothing to hide needs to drop a "Wikileaks" type bomb on them. Hell, come out with their badge numbers too and we'll get to see who turns on who.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   
The Sheriffs for the people, not answerable to the federal banksta controlled payees. If a law is 'written' which is in violation of one's Bill of Rights or the Constitution, it is Not to be enforced. I'm sure those with badges and families would agree, if they knew better. Maybe, maybe not.

End of the petrol dollar.

edit on 10-10-2012 by Bluemoonsine because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke

Why don't they pay attention to the criminals on wall street? If they started frisking them daily, I'd like to see how long the policy would last....

edit on 10-10-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

The day some of those suits got frisked would be a funny one indeed. I'd like to see how fast those gucci loafers can run from the cops because they know they have a gram of c*** in their pocket

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   

You beat me to the punch on this! I was about to post this, and found it nicely put in the proper forum! Star and flag!

NYPD seems to be a private military for the mayor these days. Sad.

Unfortunately, the people having their rights violated don't have the money to sue, let alone enough money to actually WIN. Rich, white, and well-off people would sadly never find themselves in this situation.

This is in my eyes a form of economic/racial profiling. This issue deserves as much attention as the TSA issue -- as this form of police behavior can (and probably will) spread and infect other large metropolitan areas.

SO

What can we do? What can we the public do that can have an effect? Who do we contact? What petitions are being drawn up to sign? Which legislators can we contact?

It's all well and good to come to a general consensus that this type of LEO behavior is unacceptable in the Great United States of America -- but how can we legally, peacefully push back? I am waiting for suggestions.

Let's not all commiserate and all nod our heads in disagreement. We need solutions.

Sadly, I doubt anyone has any.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join