It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who Won the Recession?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   
McDonalds
In hard times consumers still flock to the Golden Arches
According to Frederick Kaufman
www.foreignpolicy.com...
While McDonalds is not my first choice for fastfood it seems the recession has not effected its profits people will always want fastfood when on the move

In late September 2008, when global stock markets fell off a cliff, a funny thing happened to McDonald's. While the financial industry and consumer goods were cratering, same-store sales rose 8.2 percent the next month

And since then the company share price has nearly quadrupled
Should we hate or applaud a company that

that hires an estimated 1 million Americans each year

And has 33,500 outlets in 119 countries providing employment and a fastfood fix
Mcdonalds has diversified and offers burgers and local fare in its international outlets

the evil empire of burgers and fries finds itself in an excellent spot to prosper in nasty and brutish times. The sad truth is that in most of the world, the McDonald's menu doesn't scream antibiotic-addled livestock and high-cholesterol death diets; instead it whispers of middle-class aspiration.

It should
It whispers of middle-class aspiration in my view is going over the top
So McDonalds wins Recession Proof

the human body's demand for cheap, tasty food endures -- recession or no recession

www.foreignpolicy.com...
And there is this from the end of the article

Ronald and friends fight hard on behalf of their customers' wallets, in good years and bad. The day a Big Mac costs $20 isn't the death of the McDonald's business model, nor the demise of the brand. The day a Big Mac costs $20 will be the end of the world.

Maybe some truth in that
Ok i am off to McBarf now

Cran

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   
the insane price of food lately i think might be a pretty good reason McDonalds(and other fast crap food)
does so well!
you can't afford to buy real/healthy food,but you can always afford crap fast food,and it will fill you up for a bit!!!
sad,sad,sad!

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Huh, and here I was thinking this wasn't a game....

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by reficul

you can't afford to buy real/healthy food,but you can always afford crap fast food

This is not true you can buy enough food for a healthy nutritional meal for four
Cheaper than the price of a Big Mac and fries

Cran

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by cranspace
reply to post by reficul

you can't afford to buy real/healthy food,but you can always afford crap fast food

This is not true you can buy enough food for a healthy nutritional meal for four

Cran

maybe in guatemala.

here on earth, if you can feed 4 people for $5.99 you'll win the nobel prize for economics.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   
To me this just means people are poor and are eating a low nutrient fast food diet. If prices are going up, but burgers are still a dollar, it means something must be getting cut, my guess is nutrition. Unless McDonalds is losing money from every purchase, doubtful, this means mcdonalds may be "winning" but their customers are losing (but winning pounds).

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Big business won the recession. They were able to get rid of a lot of the people they employed that weren't cost effective. There were too many middle management jobs and these jobs created a lot more expense than they were worth. Too much advertising and paperwork doesn't increase the bottom line, it only increases the gross income. Many thousands of these upper middle class jobs will never get filled. Big businesses are definitely the winners with small businesses loosing out and many people out of work. I predict that these jobs will be filled someday with subcontract work without longterm contracts. No benefits and no retirement except for the top execs of companies. Better protect that social security program, I think that is going to be the only retirement for many people. The stock market is going to crash, that won't hurt businesses that are already formed at all. They can buy up the stock at a fraction of the price if things fall apart. I see a trend here with the corporate managers holding all the cards. Oh well, came into this world with nothing and can't take anything with me when I go.....Let's get this over already, I'm getting impatient waiting for it to happen.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 05:44 AM
link   

if you can feed 4 people for $5.99 you'll win the nobel prize for economics

You should not get a prize for healthy eating
But it can be easily done instead of taking the lazy option of fastfood

Cran

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Just FYI.
It’s a little known fact that McDonalds is not really a hamburger company.
They are a real estate company. McDonalds is one of the countries largest owners of real estate.
The lions share of there corporate profit comes from the leasing of the real estate that the store sits on to there franchisees not the actual sale of there product.
And there net worth is based on the value of the property the corporation owns.
Just my 2 cents.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by randomname

Originally posted by cranspace
reply to post by reficul

Cran

maybe in guatemala.

here on earth, if you can feed 4 people for $5.99 you'll win the nobel prize for economics.

Ramen noddles are $0.20 a pop. Thats roughly 29-30 people for $6. Wheres my nobel prize?

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   
McDonald's might be recession proof. Its workers are not. The CFO of McDonald's is looking at scaling back the max hours they can work to skirt Obamacare.

Source: www.cnbc.com...

new topics

top topics

join