It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do we make new universes?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   
In the interview below, someone from the audience asked Brain Greene a question that I don't think Mr. Greene understood. So, I'd like to ask it here. The question concerns parallel universes and choices.

I drop three coins, a quarter, dime, and a nickel. The quarter stops at my feet. The dime rolls a few feet away, and the nickel rolls under a table. I choose to pick up the quarter first, then the dime, and the nickel last. The idea is that in the parallel universes, all possible choices are played out. In this case, another ME decides to pick up the dime first, then the quarter, and finally the nickel. Another ME goes for the nickel first, the quarter, and then the dime, and so on and so on.

Now, when I chose to pick up the quarter first, did this act cause those other parallel universes to come into existence right there and then, in order for the other choices to be played out? Did I create those universes by the choice I made? Do WE create parallel universes everytime we make a choice here?

If not, if those parallel universes already exist, why would any other ME decide to go for the nickel under the table first when the quarter is right at my feet? What are the odds of any other me making this decision?

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 07:29 PM
link   
I think it's a bunch of crap, why, because you only took one route of action, the other possibilities never happened.
It's like if I went right instead of left, why would a left world be created, I never did go left.

The only way I can see this theory make sense is if we went back in time and killed our grandfather, you cannot wipe out your normal time-line, because you would no longer exist. But you can't un-exist, so that now would require two time-lines, your normal time-line where your grampy was not killed, and one where he was and you faded out of reality back to your regular time-line.

They also say that because of quantum entanglement that there are hundreds of each of us out there in different dimensions. The atoms share exact actions despite distances.
But for there to be another, or hundreds of us, would not every atom in our body have to be entangled in the most synchronized way? That would require some pretty decent organizational skills for our Universe would it not?

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   
I can't get on board with this multiverse theory, it just doesn't seem plausible. I mean what exactly would be the point of playing out every choice and what defines as a choice anyway? Is a choice when a concious mind makes a choice, what about which way a tree branches out, is the tree making a choice? or which way the wind decides to blow today.. is that a choice to be played out too?

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

I agree with the previous two posters that it doesn't seem likely.

It makes for good science fiction, and numerous science fiction stories and plots are based on this idea, but I don't think it's good science.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 07:41 AM
link   
I think that it is unanswerable outside of simple philosophy, which won't be an answer. We have no idea if there are other universes, so everything that follows is supposition.

top topics

join