It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asteroid Dust Could Fight Climate Change on Earth

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Is global warming for real? I mean, is it such a clear and present danger to our survival that we may want to do things out in space that will effect our entire planet, things that may not be easily reversible, if at all? It give me cause to pause, still, teams of scientists and geo-engineers are dreaming up such solutions. This is a very recent example of such projects under consideration:

weather.yahoo.com...

To combat global warming, scientists in Scotland now suggest an out-of-this-world solution — a giant dust cloud in space, blasted off an asteroid, which would act like a sunshade for Earth.

Instead of altering the climate by targeting either the oceans or the atmosphere, some researchers have suggested geoengineering projects that would affect the entire planet from space. For instance, projects that reduced the amount of solar radiation Earth receives by 1.7 percent could offset the effects of a global increase in temperature of 3.6 degrees F (2 degrees C). The United Nations' Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) has noted climate models suggest average global temperatures will likely rise by 2 to 11.5 degrees F (1.1 to 6.4 degrees C) by the end of this century.

"A 1.7 percent reduction is very small and will hardly be noticeable on Earth," said researcher Russell Bewick, a space scientist at the University of Strathclyde in Scotland. "People sometimes get the idea of giant screens blocking the entire sun. This is not the case ... as [the device] is constantly between the sun and the Earth, it acts merely as a very light shade or filter."

To me it is scary they are even considering doing things of this magnitude. Maybe if our very survival depends on this kind of project as our last best hope then we may have to give it a shot. I would hate to see this happen because the UN thinks it is a good idea, kind of like the way they warm up to Codex Alimentarius and want the whole world subject to its ideas about our food. Now, our very climate and perhaps the air we breathe.

On second thought, what could go wrong?

edit on 2-10-2012 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   
This does not sound good at all anyone else think that the dinosaurs might have killed themselves due to a project like this i know its not likely but think about it for a second

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by ninjas4321

It might be a good time to corner the market on cold weather gear. Also I am now wondering what the Atlanteans did to warm the planet so suddenly and sink their continent. Not every world calamity is the result of a natural event, it would seem.

This all gets scarier seeing the UN has an interest in these studies.

edit on 3-10-2012 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   
In a world of double talk not necessarily confined to politics, this solution could also suggest than they think global warming/climate change/climate disruption is actually what many people think it is, a non-Earth source, perhaps our fluctuating star getting hotter, an increase in cosmic rays, a mixture of both. You just don't get people talking the right way. CO2 is a weak atmospheric heater, water vapour is much better at it. Then there are the ways that measurements have been taken for a consensus on 'global warming' etc. This might help,

wattsupwiththat.com...

More specifically,

wattsupwiththat.com... e-record-they-fund-an-experiment-to-investigate-the-effects-of-sta/

The idea itself, and all the other things being true is much better than the rest though, but it is basically a creation of another Van Allen belt, so you have to wonder why?

edit on 3-10-2012 by smurfy because: Link.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Potential solutions that further screw with the natural system are bad ideas in my opinion. The Law of Unintended Consequences always comes in to play because history shows we pretty much have no clue about what will actually happen when we mess with things. Solutions like this are the apex of hubris.
edit on 3-10-2012 by pajoly because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join