It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Virginia man kills family and himself over fear Obama would be re-elected

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+28 more 
posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   

A Virginia man allegedly killed himself and his family earlier this week in part because he was upset by the thought of President Barack Obama being re-elected.

“They were very well off people and they saved a lot of money,” she said about the Petersons. “He couldn’t understand how the government could be so irresponsible and he thought it would be on the backs of his boys.”

To me this is a direct result of the irresponsible fear monger journalism that is constantly being broadcast by the likes of Fox news, Hannity, Rush, and others where the whole story is almost never told. The man obviously had mental problems but people trust the news especially when they tout that they are Fair and Balanced when in actuality it is far from the truth. You would be surprised just how many people believe the propaganda they are being fed. This is indeed a tragedy.

source

+3 more 
posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   
How many times have you heard a fox news pundit state that if Obama is re-elected it would be the end of America? I do not even know how they can be considered journalists.

+27 more 
posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   

had a history of paranoia and was also affected by a favorite uncle’s recent suicide. On Wednesday, The Washington Post reported

They totally missed the real and very tragic point of this story.

The man obviously had a history of mental health problems and once again our countries health system failed and people died as a consequence.

That should have been the headline

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Wow, what a lie.
I cant believe this is the mainstream media in USA. I wonder if anybody buying this.
Why USA have such stupid media ? or is it soft lie dont work anymore ?

Just read the source

Anyone thinking of taking their life is advised to call the National Suicide Prevention Hotline at 1-800-273-8255.

Oh man, I need a facepalm meme pic for this.
edit on 29-9-2012 by NullVoid because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by SassyCass

I stated in the OP he had mental problems but I don’t think you realize the things the right wing media broadcast. If I only listened to them I would think the world is coming to an end because of Obamas administration.

+6 more 
posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   
This is tragic, to be sure.

However, it dovetails with this thread:

The Right Wing Echo Chamber

There is an undercurrent of paranoia and irrational fear that runs through the extreme right. Really, it runs through the extreme portion of any ideology.

You can't reason with it. You can't debunk it. It's obsessive, incorrigible and destructive - as evidenced by this sad case.

The point is, we should not let our nation be manipulated by this sort of warped thinking.

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by SassyCass

had a history of paranoia and was also affected by a favorite uncle’s recent suicide. On Wednesday, The Washington Post reported

The man obviously had a history of mental health problems and once again our countries health system failed and people died as a consequence.

Also consider that if he had a history of mental health problems, he was likely on one of those nasty anti-deppresants or anxiety medications that have been causing people to have uncontrollable thoughts about suicide and murder. I would really like to see if there is a correlation between all these multiple murder/suicides and pharmeceuticals. I would be willing to bet most, if not all of these people were on anti-deppresants of some kind.

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Well...........

What can you say?
Only thing I can definitively ascertain is that this man must have listened to the Sean Hannity show everyday. How else can you explain his fear? The reality of Obama certainly is nowhere near what this man thought. He was programmed into believing "Obama wants your guns and all your rights! He is a Kenyan Mooslim extremist who hates America!"

The world has a few less who believe this now at least. I do hope his living family doesn't suffer too much from this man's silly decision.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Grimpachi
reply to post by SassyCass

I stated in the OP he had mental problems but I don’t think you realize the things the right wing media broadcast. If I only listened to them I would think the world is coming to an end because of Obamas administration.

Trust me honey I feel ya. and know what what you mean!
Snaps my fingers under the nose of right wing media.
Wishing I could kick Kathie Lee & Hoda where it counts too!

Sorry Kathie Lee & Hoda is kind of a mom thing. they make us want to reach threw the TV and clock them

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by SassyCass

What spend money on SICK people? Not to mention Mentally SICK people? No we'd rather spend money on "things" that go boom and kill people. Not me. I say stop spending money on wars, banks and things and spend the money on people. It is time to change the paradigm and put people first and f$#king corporations are NOT PEOPLE! I agree with you whole heartedly, mental health needs to be funded properly!!

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

My thoughts are that if the Obama being elected again part were true he would have waited till November to kill himself right?
Ya know, just in case Romney wins?

No no I think it had more to do with family/mental problems.

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by OrchusGhule

For clarity - not antidepressants of some kind. But a very specific family of then called selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors. There are other options as far as antidepressants go, such as monoamine oxidase inhibitors, tricyclic antidepressants, tetracyclic antidepressants. serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors, and even some atypical antipsychotics.

The psychotic episodes seem to be more frequently associated with SSRIs, but that could be a statistical anomaly as that class of medication is by far and away the most prescribed.

~Heff

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Now that's what you call a "staunch" conservative.

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Care for the mentally ill in this country is a big problem. The recent shootings and even this I believe could have all been avoided if there was a better system in place. I believe that is another clear divide between the left and right in this country but I haven’t heard much talk on the issue from either side.

Mental health care would qualify as another one of those things the right considers as government funding. When Reagan was elected he cut most of those programs flooding the streets with the mentally ill and we have been feeling the repercussions ever since.

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   

He felt that our God-given rights were being taken away,” a family friend identified as “Maggie L.” told The Daily Mail. “He didn’t like where the country was going.” Raw Story (s.tt...)

Our rights disappearing have as much to do with Republicans as they do Democrats and on that point he wasn't incorrect at all. I fear the same thing for my kids and grandchildren. What will kind of country will they inherit?

I think the fear of Obama being re-elected as a cause for his suicide is more of the same fear-mongering journalism you're complaining about.
edit on 29-9-2012 by Asktheanimals because: corrections

+4 more 
posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Hmm, I went through the entire article and I didnt find one mention of Fox News, Hannity or Rush.
You think you can just arbitrarily make claims like that and expect people to believe it?
edit on 29-9-2012 by Juggernog because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   
This is tragic. I feel for the wife and kids that had to be taken before their time.

I'm not going to get into the Obama/Right-wing issue as I do not believe it will do any good, but I would like to point out something conspiratorial.

This man was a defense contractor, was very wealthy and live in the DC burbs. Did he know or do something that could have caused this chain of events to be set into motion? Were the emails and the mental issues exploited to make this suicide-murder look legit?

Of course, I have no evidence to support that....but it's fun to speculate.

ETA: He worked for Blackbird Technologies.

The majority of our staff hold high-level clearances and handle the most sensitive government and commercial matters. Many employees have years of operational experience in foreign denied areas, working alone or as part of a team, and can deploy domestically or overseas on short notice. Blackbird maintains teaming and collaboration agreements with major industry partners.

Why would they employ someone that had mental issues in a field like this?

edit on 29-9-2012 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-9-2012 by sheepslayer247 because: grammar

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Grimpachi
To me this is a direct result of the irresponsible fear monger journalism ..

To me this is a direct result of a mental health disorder on the part of the shooter.
Seriously ... no one with a stable mental health is going to kill himself and his family
over news reporting.

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   
This is very sad news that this man could do that to his own love one's, I watch CNN the only USA news I watch, mostly because if a thing is one inch in size America will say it's 20 feet big, one thing about our BBC news it is so dumb down for our blond women viewers over here that the worst thing your going to see on our news is a Fox or Badger has been killed on the road by a woman in a 4+4 car and you will see her sob for the next 2 days on BBC news.
Well maybe not exactly like that but British men will know what I mean about our news, even Money worries of banks wont make news here these days.

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Just a correction: The wife apparently worked for Blackbird Tech.

The husband was an employee of Northrop Grumman until he resigned in 2009.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join