It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Romney touts foreign aid overhaul in appearance at Clinton Global Initiative

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Romney touts foreign aid overhaul in appearance at Clinton Global Initiative

“The aim of a much larger share of our aid must be the promotion of work and the fostering of free enterprise,” Romney said. "Nothing we can do as a nation will change lives and nations more effectively and permanently than sharing the insight that lies at the foundation of America’s own economy–free people pursuing happiness in their own ways build a strong and prosperous nation."

Romney argued that federal aid to foreign nations, as it exists now, is too often wasted by government bureaucracy, and sometimes “diverted to corrupt governments.”

What a FAR CRY from Obama’s foreign aid policy! I think this is one hell of a good “free market” approach to foreign aid. Romney’s argument that a temporary funding package (the current STIMULUS we keep throwing to other nations) can give their economy a boost, but it can’t sustain their economy for long because, at some point, the money runs out.

Some will look at this as corporatism 'run a muck' but in reality this is a way to provide aid and 'make a buck' rather than business as usual pissing away tax dollars. I think it’s a great idea that Americans benefit from our foreign aid rather than allowing the federal government to do back door deals for their personal gain. What say you?

Let the FLAMES begin!!

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Can someone tell me why we are still giving money to those who want to kill us. This inquiring mind really would like to know.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Double post. Ain't my fault.
edit on 25-9-2012 by Nite_wing because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

So he wants to give our tax dollars to foreign corporations.

Big surprise.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Sounded like lobbying and outsourcing to me the simple fact "free market principles" do not even exist here so how does anyone expect to export those ideals abroad.

Then there is the religious aspect that dominates Me culture and business practices Romney was right about money going to corrupt goverments abroad, including our very own corrupt government,

Lot of things need to be overhauled tho,.
edit on 25-9-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by HostileApostle

So he wants to give our tax dollars to foreign corporations.

Big surprise.

No, he wants to provide American companies some federal aid if they invest in foreign assets and production. Think of it as a ‘tax write off’ for companies that develop business relations (and create jobs) overseas.

Instead of a blank check, we’d SHOW THEM how to make money for themselves. In exchange, American corporations (Americans) would benefit.

“The aim of a much larger share of our aid must be the promotion of work and the fostering of free enterprise,” Romney said. "Nothing we can do as a nation will change lives and nations more effectively and permanently than sharing the insight that lies at the foundation of America’s own economy–free people pursuing happiness in their own ways build a strong and prosperous nation."
link

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Sounded like lobbying and outsourcing to me the simple fact "free market principles" do not even exist here so how does anyone expect to export those ideals abroad.

It’s an attempt to create free market principles rather than giving handouts with no result……we make them learn something.

Then there is the religious aspect that dominates Me culture and business practices Romney was right about money going to corrupt goverments abroad, including our very own corrupt government,

Making money and providing for your family knows know religion; its survival. Rather than throwing tax dollars at the Muslim Brother et al we show them how to create business and Americans profit rather than getting screwed. This is a WIN-WIN.

Lot of things need to be overhauled tho,.

Agreed….

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

It’s an attempt to create free market principles rather than giving handouts with no result……we make them learn something.

Yes it is an attempt, but aimed at the wrong place, Domestic investment so to speak by getting off the back of small business here at home would be more effective imo,

Then some action taken to reduce the trade deficit would also be more beneficial such as making American goods more competitive,

Making money and providing for your family knows know religion; its survival. Rather than throwing tax dollars at the Muslim Brother et al we show them how to create business and Americans profit rather than getting screwed. This is a WIN-WIN.

Thinking as a westerner that might seem true but once outside the conus the world is a very different place people can not underestimate the role religion plays over there,

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   
I think it good start .....either do something like this if they are wiling to work with us or stop giving the money away.

It's the whole give a fish or teach to fish......just throwing money at them is doing no good.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   
I am not sure what to think about this.

What guarantee is there that it won’t all end up in some CEOs offshore bank account?

edit on 25-9-2012 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Yes it is an attempt, but aimed at the wrong place, Domestic investment so to speak by getting off the back of small business here at home would be more effective imo,

Then some action taken to reduce the trade deficit would also be more beneficial such as making American goods more competitive,

I agree there are a lot of things Romney needs to do. Getting off the back of small business and reducing the trade deficit are very important. The thing you’re missing is that he can do all three of these at the same time. This address was only about foreign aid and his plans to deal with that issue.

I, for one, won’t let the Obama-lovers continue their bogus narrative that Romney hasn’t offered a plan. Aside from Romney’s plan for healthcare, jobs and economic growth, now he’s also revealed his direction on foreign aid reform as well. I haven’t heard a single argument against this idea yet in this thread….

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by timetothink

I think it good start .....either do something like this if they are wiling to work with us or stop giving the money away.

It's the whole give a fish or teach to fish......just throwing money at them is doing no good.

EXACTLY!

That’s the GLARING difference between Romney and Business-As-Usual Obama. Romney wants to make them earn the aid.

The GRAVY TRAIN is OVER!! It’s time to make these countries live up to their end.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

I am not sure what to think about this.

What guarantee is there that it won’t all end up in some CEOs offshore bank account?

Thank you! In all honesty, I’d have to see more of this before I’m 100% on board. I’m glad that at least Romney is proposing a plan, and it’s a free-market plan rather than the same old…chit.

I give him the benefit of the doubt. With the other guy we already know what we’re going to get!

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Think of it as a ‘tax write off’ for companies that develop business relations (and create jobs) overseas.

So they get paid to outsource jobs, how nice.

You aren't exactly making his position look good.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   

That is not it at all...you are missing the point.

Right now we give them money for nothing. This is about teaching them to prosper in business, to start making their own money instead of being dependant, like a welfare state.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by HostileApostle
reply to post by seabag

Think of it as a ‘tax write off’ for companies that develop business relations (and create jobs) overseas.

Romney on his visit to China, was "pleased at the Slave Factories he visited.

He was probably thinking of this very thing, for his Cronies to Rape the US further.

Romney is Not a friend to the US. Only his Wallet.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   

I hear you….we don’t know all the details.

I don’t look at it as outsourcing jobs. To me it’s creating business in another country. As he said, 82% of foreign investment comes from the private sector now. Why not make it 100% WITH CONDITIONS? This way tax dollars aren’t thrown to governments run by the likes of the Muslim Brotherhood (name your foreign aid recipient) and spent on things antithetical to free market capitalism.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Tw0Sides

Romney on his visit to China, was "pleased at the Slave Factories he visited.

He was probably thinking of this very thing, for his Cronies to Rape the US further.

Romney is Not a friend to the US. Only his Wallet.

Peddling propaganda??

Please quote Romney saying he is “pleased with slave factories”.

Your argument is purely emotional and from the hip; you have no facts.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

I am not totally against this but I need more information before I would say yes or no.

I know what I will get with Obama but the last time I gave a presidential candidate the benefit of doubt I regretted it for 8 years.

The interview he gave on 60 minutes the other night was the most he has gone into specifics of his plans and I can’t say I liked it. It sounded to me as if everything was geared to make rich richer and to let everyone else sink with the ship. If he is elected I guess we will see.

This plan is different I would just need more specifics.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

I am not totally against this but I need more information before I would say yes or no.

And I’m not totally for it without more info. I don’t want this to be a corporate kick back.

I know what I will get with Obama but the last time I gave a presidential candidate the benefit of doubt I regretted it for 8 years.

I also know what I’ll get with Obama….a random array of BS that’s bad for America!

The interview he gave on 60 minutes the other night was the most he has gone into specifics of his plans and I can’t say I liked it. It sounded to me as if everything was geared to make rich richer and to let everyone else sink with the ship. If he is elected I guess we will see.

I hope that’s not the case. I’m by no means rich and I view his economic ideas in a positive light. I think foreign aid is both an economic issue as well as an economic issue.

My big hang up with BOTH guys is in their adherence to the constitution. This is where I don’t see as much difference. For instance, they both support NDAA and the Patriot Act.

This plan is different I would just need more specifics.

I think anything that returns the power to the people is a god thing. If this is more cronyism then I’m opposed…..we need more info!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join