It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Water, Water, Everywhere.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Once again it seems that the Solar System isn't as dry as it used to be. I think we should stop asking "Which planets may have water, or water traces" and just accept the fact that water is abundant. Water traces may not mean life but it seems each step (flight) we take further from Earth just might be our ticket to finding evidence of life out there, and it might be closer to home than we have expected.

Dawn Spacecraft Finds Traces of Water on Vesta

Vesta, the second most massive asteroid in the Solar System, after the dwarf planet Ceres, was thought to be a dry place, but the most recent evidence from NASA’s spacecraft Dawn has found that smaller, water-rich asteroids once implanted themselves in Vesta’s surface. The water is locked up in hydrated minerals until subsequent impacts create enough heat to melt the rock and release the water as gas.

This is yet another body in the inner Solar System that has a water cycle. Dawn’s instruments detected an excess of hydrogen in the asteroid’s equatorial regions, that would indicate a water content as high as 400 parts per million. There are also hundreds of pits, some as deep as 200 meters, in several of the same regions, which are thought to reflect places where the heat of a subsequent impact unlocked the water content and it vented into space.

And one final point in the article that I found interesting was them stating they already know that their is water on Ceres (Dawn's next stop) Ceres is the biggest asteroid/dwarf planet in the inner solar system and they say that:

there might even be a subsurface, briny ocean.

I love space exploration.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Cant they just create Water in the Lab?? 2 Hydrogens 1 Oxygen.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by hoochymama

That is a little off topic but indeed a good question. Let's find out.

Water is made of two hydrogen atoms attached to an oxygen atom. This seems like pretty basic chemistry, so why don't we just smash them together and solve the world­'s water ills? Theoretically, this is possible, but it would be an extrem­ely dangerous process, too.

To create water, oxygen and hydrogen atoms must be present. Mixing them together doesn't help; you're still left with just separate hydrogen and oxygen atoms. The orbits of each atom's electrons must become linked, and to do that we must have a sudden burst of energy to get these shy things to hook up.

- From How Stuff Works.

So, its is possible, yes but it doesn't sound like a very good idea. Also, the amount of energy required for this would be immense. Where would be get such energy...

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by TheSparrowSings

So, is it possible that the new Atom Smasher could be maken us some Water instead of trying to create the "start of our Galaxy"?? This is a real question considering the concerns but from I have read, this new Atom Smasher can create a Black Hole to swallow are whole planet?? I would think Water would much safer.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   

I would need to look further into it myself. I just don't really see why we would need to create water. The ocean has plenty of water, we just need a good way to clean it up and purify it to drinking water. Drill more wells in drought ridden areas. Have local wells if necessary. Stuff like that would make more sense that spending tons of money and power on water creation.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   
If you stop and think about it, water is hydrogen...the most abundant energy source in the universe, and oxygen which has been found many places also...

How could they suggest that water is so rare...

Almost like saying there is no electric fields or magnetic fields in the dynamics of how things form or orbit...the only variance I see is relative density of the medium...increase the density and it generates a bottleneck as it diffuses..this generates heat...

...just a matter of time till it reaches the tipping point and life becomes visible to us everywhere...not all of us at once will understand the dynamics...but for those like yourself I think its almost common sense
..but then again its not so common I guess...

Ceres is considered a dwarf planet with brine...how interesting...it is also associated with the Grail...and life...Brine indeed

Sorry to drift off there...
Just my opinion...

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   
...but not a drop to drink....

it doesn't matter how rare it is if we can create it ourselves with the same elements and process the universe used.

edit on 22-9-2012 by yourmaker because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheSparrowSings

I would need to look further into it myself. I just don't really see why we would need to create water. The ocean has plenty of water, we just need a good way to clean it up and purify it to drinking water. Drill more wells in drought ridden areas. Have local wells if necessary. Stuff like that would make more sense that spending tons of money and power on water creation.

have you ever heard of how to find water to survive in a desert? You dig a hole and cover it with a plastic sheet(or similar) place a stone in the middle and the water condenses and drips from the bottom of the indentation on the sheet...the temperature variation allows condensation...oh and of course you should have a container to catch the drips..unless you want to sit there all night with your mouth open...

What if planets sit on similar "sheets" and water/life condenses in a strange sort of way
...in space everything falls around and around in circles/swirls and spirals... water always seems to run down hill to me...

have you ever seen the dehumidifiers with filters on them designed to remove water from the air to drink? I agree we have enough water...just need to clean it up...heck with the caps melting I think we have more water above our head than we can imagine...that

edit on 9/22/2012 by Drala because: changed my mind...i can do that

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker

it doesn't matter how rare it is if we can create it ourselves with the same elements and process the universe used.

supercomputers in the next 20 years will help us design a mobile hydrogen/oxygen conversion device that can create water for inter-planetary travel.

case closed.

I am sure that they will have it soon. Just a matter of working out potentially dangerous chemistry first. I hope they figure it out. Although synthetic water might lack the natural mineral content of natural...

But why create it when we can just harvest it from asteroids and planetary bodies on the way via our interstellar travel.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   

supercomputers in the next 20 years will help us design a mobile hydrogen/oxygen conversion device that can create water for inter-planetary travel.

case closed.

I am sure that they will have it soon. Just a matter of working out potentially dangerous chemistry first. I hope they figure it out. Although synthetic water might lack the natural mineral content of natural...

But why create it when we can just harvest it from asteroids and planetary bodies on the way via our interstellar travel.

we might realize there are rivers in space that we can sail around in too
again it might be less dense than we are used to visualizing...

edit on 9/22/2012 by Drala because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Drala

What if planets sit on similar "sheets" and water/life condenses in a strange sort of way
...in space everything falls around and around in circles/swirls and spirals... water always seems to run down hill to me...

I like the way you think. Its an interesting perspective. Maybe this, in turn, helps planets gain atmosphere as well. In all honesty, for all we know, things like the moon and ceres might not be dead bodies, but bodies that will one day be fully alive, given the lifespan of our solar system.

Interplanetary water ways.

edit on 22/9/2012 by TheSparrowSings because: Enjoyed the second comment, wanted to note it.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Drala

I like the way you think. Its an interesting perspective. Maybe this, in turn, helps planets gain atmosphere as well. In all honesty, for all we know, things like the moon and ceres might not be dead bodies, but bodies that will one day be fully alive, given the lifespan of our solar system.

Interplanetary water ways.

edit on 22/9/2012 by TheSparrowSings because: Enjoyed the second comment, wanted to note it.

Careful thinking the way i do...LMAO...for the Moon and Ceres are alive
We may eventually find other living things on them too...

Our perspective might be a bit mixed up...or I might just be a raving lunatic

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   
I live in Cali, and all we here is that Water is a scarce commodity. So, are we looking for Water in Space?? If so, and if it so easy to MAKE, not according to an earlier poster, why are we looking for it so much?? Every thing that we look at in Space seems to be connected to Water.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   

case closed.

synthetic water might be perfectly designed for artificial bodies, since we might be harvesting organs en masse at that point as well. who knows. starts to sound sci fi but so was computers at some point lol..

we would need massive scientific bodies and huge space capable teams that can assemble under a command structure,
just for water.

you'd have an entire space fleet just dedicated to harvesting that water for the rest of the groups working on maintenance, food, air, gravity etc.. damn that's a lot of manpower

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by hoochymama
I live in Cali, and all we here is that Water is a scarce commodity. So, are we looking for Water in Space?? If so, and if it so easy to MAKE, not according to an earlier poster, why are we looking for it so much?? Every thing that we look at in Space seems to be connected to Water.

I lived in Cali for a time...immediately I saw that its a desert with irrigation making it look nice...come to Canada...water runs down hill...and heck its hot down there..its all in the air. Get a dehumidifier with a filter...you have more water than you realize...

Oh and we look for it in space because we know life at our current density can exist there...we aren't looking for it to drink...we want to see who/what is drinking it...
edit on 9/22/2012 by Drala because: Chuck Norris said so...

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by hoochymama

i've never heard of the idea to 'make' water before and I wasn't implying it's easy by any stretch, but it could become easier if supercomputers develop more efficiently.

but good question, why are we looking for it? because we can't make it, yet.
edit on 22-9-2012 by yourmaker because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Rivers is space indeed...Have you noticed in astrology there is a constellation called Eridanus? Its a river of souls...origin locally is Orion's penis...LOL...
edit on 9/22/2012 by Drala because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Sorry OP...my last comment is slightly derailing...see you in another thread sometime
I am outta here..

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by TheSparrowSings

All you have to do to make water, is burn hydrogen. Doesn't take much energy at all really. Just a small spark, and the chain reaction takes over. All of the hydrogen reacts with oxygen resulting in a perfect conversion to water, with no other byproducts. chem 121

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 02:22 AM
link   

synthetic water might lack the natural mineral content of natural...

synthetic water = water. I'm sorry but there's no difference between water that has been around since the beginning of Earth and water created (for instance) with a hydrogen fuel cell.

Peace
edit on 23-9-2012 by operation mindcrime because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

active topics

<<   2 >>

join