It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anderson Cooper admits that CNN found ambassador's journal 'secretly' used it in reporting

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Anderson Cooper admits that CNN found slain American ambassador's journal inside U.S. consulate in Libya and 'secretly' used it in reporting

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk... -reporting.html#ixzz27FfK2oOR

OH MY god is this ethical?

I really didn't want to start another topic but I found this highly unusual.

Is this even legal?

CNN found Ambassador Christopher Stevens' personal journal on the floor at the U.S. consulate in Benghazi
Journal consisted of seven handwritten pages in a hard-bound book
Network says it notified Stevens' family at once and handed over the journal

By Snejana Farberov

CNN host Anderson Cooper admitted on Friday that the network had come across the late Ambassador Christopher Stevens' personal journal and used parts of it in its reporting without disclosing the source.

On Wednesday on his show Anderson Cooper 360, the journalist told Senator John McCain that 'a source familiar with Ambassador Stevens' thinking told us that in the months before his death he talked about being worried about the never-ending security threats that he was facing in Benghazi, and specifically about the rise in Islamist extremism and growing al Qaeda presence.'

Cooper added that 'the source also mentioned [Stevens] being on an al Qaeda hit list.'

I a having a real problem with this ambassador being targeted, I am starting to wonder what he knew that they didn't want to get out.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   
OH well, guess it's not important,

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Its important, and should be discussed.

I think its tasteless Media.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   
News and ethics... Can they even be used in the same sentence anymore?

Doesn't surprise me they would stoop so low.

Blame the 24 hour news cycle, its a product just like anything else, and they are trying to push it anyway they can to get the viewership and ad revenue.

The fourth estate is in a sad state now days.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Yeah it is unethical and considering the FBI is there investigating it they stole evidence that could be useful in that investigation,

Never like Cooper and CNN.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Thanks for posting guys,

What I found interesting they are sitting on information while are administration is saying it was not terrorism.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   
US State Dept. blasts CNN report on Stevens' diary

It gets better

CNN broke a pledge to the late ambassador's family that it wouldn't report on the diary, said State Department spokesman Philippe Reines, a senior adviser to U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton.

In a blistering statement, Reines called CNN's actions "indefensible."

The channel said in the story online that it took "newsworthy tips" from Stevens' diary and confirmed them with other sources. Citing an unidentified source "familiar with Stevens' thinking," CNN said that the ambassador was concerned about security threats in Benghazi and a "rise in Islamic extremism."

So the state department is livid?

Why because we now know about Stevens worries about the rise of extremism or because of a broken promise?

hosted.ap.org...

The public has a right to know what CNN learned from "multiple sources" about fears and warnings of a terror threat before the Benghazi attack, the channel said, "which are now raising questions about why the State Department didn't do more to protect Ambassador Stevens and other U.S. personnel."

edit on 103030p://bSunday2012 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Man if this was about FOX news this topic would be 18 pages long by now, lol

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 09:51 PM
link   
There is no question at all, that what CNN did, was both unethical and illegal. As sonny1 and benrl both said, in different words, is that the media is reprehensible. CNN is so desperate to make news, given that they are always at the absolute bottom of the cable news ratings, that they will do absolutely anything to get attention, even break the law. The network should be prosecuted, both by the government, and the court of American public opinion.
Starred and Flagged for bringing an important issue to our attention. The posters on this thread are some of the best on ATS in telling the truth. Too bad the MSM doesn't know how to do that!

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by ProfEmeritus

Thank you and thank you for posting prof,

Seems Obama just see this murder of Stevens as a bump in the road, and "we cannot stop the wave of,

"CHANGE."

It is the little words that speak volumes to me.

President Barack Obama referred to recent events in the Middle East, including violent attacks on embassies and the terrorist murder of a US ambassador and three other Americans, as 'bumps in the road'.

The comment came in Obama's CBS '60 Minutes' interview that aired on Sunday night.

Steve Kroft, the interviewer, asked: 'Have the events that took place in the Middle East, the recent events in the Middle East given you any pause about your support for the governments that have come to power following the Arab Spring?

Obama responded: 'Well, I’d said even at the time that this is going to be a rocky path. The question presumes that somehow we could have stopped this wave of change.

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

edit on 103030p://bMonday2012 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
Man if this was about FOX news this topic would be 18 pages long by now, lol

Yeah FOx did that they would be screaming "off with their heads".

Checkout that article about Hilary Clinton's aid getting "upset" told a reporter to @!@#$ off.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

The only article I could find was this one:

CNN is getting some defenders in its battle with the State Department over its handling of the journal of the murdered ambassador to Libya, and the State Department is clearly getting agitated about increasing questions surrounding its handling of the situation, as a top spokesman for Hillary Clinton told a reporter to "f--k off."

www.huffingtonpost.com...
Is that the one you meant, or is there another one with more information? Thanks.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by ProfEmeritus

The link is on drudge:

hillary clinton aid goes ballistic...

Tried to link it but it didn't work.

edit on 24-9-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

"http://www.buzzfeed.com/buzzfeedpolitics/hillary-clinton-aide-tells-reporter-to-f*ck-off'

I think perhaps the second to last word in the link triggered an automatic censor. Replace the * with a u and it should work.

new topics

top topics

join