It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Major flooding in south central and Kenai Penisula Alaska

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 01:50 AM
link   
I am on my iPhone so this is short n sweet.

I live on the Kenai Penisula and in the fall this weather is not normal as the past 30 years Iv'e lived here. They have issued a flood warning and evacuation of all residents of Talkeetna and surrounding areas. Wasilla and Palmer are in some flood spots. Cooper landing bridge is close to washing out as well as a few others. I will take some pics to add to this post to show some of the force of nature some of us are dealing with.

Anyone else from the local areas here add any new info, please add what you can, and correct me if I miss informed on what Ive heard, but I drove my truck from work in three feet of water, and it sucks.

I want to stress that within 300 miles of our state from Anchorage will be cut of from all tractor trailers for goods n supplies, only by plane or heli. My buddy just made it to Anch from Soldotna and he said the cooler landing and Russian river which are a few feet from taking out the bridges completely. Iffy he said. That is if it continues to rain.

So my Alaskan friends, keep and eye out n your socks dry !! And to add the eye of the storm was sunny for a few hours. Unfortunately, it's supposed to be really bad tonight and another rainey cold front is coming in after this one. It's getting crazy how mother natural recently seems to be taking back what's hers, hmmm .

Much Love
edit on 22-9-2012 by AK907ICECOLD because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Ok..it's been 7 mins, where's the pics? LoL

I will include you and Alaska in my prayers, and aren't you glad a lot of Alaskians have planes?

Trying to keep it positive...ha
edit on 22-9-2012 by tracehd1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 02:00 AM
link   
reply to post by tracehd1

Easy, I'm a construction worker as well as a 6 year college drop out. I have never posted a pic on a computer, lol. The pics will come, the ones I have have local businesses in the background and want to remain anonymous, thank you

Also Seward is closed off and do not know the status of the bridge there, but do know many houses are flooded up to the foundations or higher.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 02:17 AM
link   
Flooding feared as Alaska tourist town evacuates

(I like the way they describe it as "quirky Alaska tourist town of Talkeetna"
)

Also:

Flooding causes evacuation

Heavy rain causes flooding across Kenai Peninsular

Stay safe!

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 02:18 AM
link   
See, that is why you should live in Fairbanks!
Just kidding there, friend. I hope everything turns out alright for you guys up there. Alaska is such a beautiful place with amazing people it would be a tragedy for anything really bad to happen there. Mother nature in that part of the world is a cruel mistress but you guys have dealt with some nasty weather before and will do so again.

According to the Weather Channel Anchorage will have rain tonight and Saturday but then it should just be showers after that. So hopefully there will not be too much more rain on the way.

www.weather.com...:1:US

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 02:22 AM
link   
reply to post by AndyMayhew

Thank you, I feel retarded when I can't be more computer smart, lol.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 02:51 AM
link   
reply to post by AK907ICECOLD

No probs! Finding weather related news stories is what I do

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 03:52 AM
link   
I think my friend's "nice weather" quip about Kenai a few days back bit her in the bum
I remember the ATS poster some hours north of the peninsula was being walloped then.

Stay safe up there everyone, I've been told a lot of roads up that way are completely washed out & areas are being cut off fast.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 04:04 AM
link   
Man, been watching this on the news station. I'll be praying for you guys that are living down in the southern area.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 05:09 AM
link   
Stay safe! I know Alaskans are a hearty bunch and prepared for rough weather, hang in there. Pulling for you down here in the lower 48. Keep us informed please.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Nyiah

Well, last night we received light rain and the high levels of water in low areas are still flooded in select places. Rain is. Ow picking up, an now Im driving to BFE Nikiski to work in this crazy weather...

The things I do for money? Last week I was almost stranded in a few feet of water with no way home, but living life, so I can dig the challenges of survival, thx for the reply.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Now the power is out at my Cabin and half of the town Soldotna, and the rain is pouring, I will be taking a lot of pics today and figure out how to post, it's Sooo wet outside

I want to be dry, I want to be dry, I'd rather be dry

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Not that it's any consolation, but Britain is about to be get slammed with 3 days of heavy rain as well.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by AndyMayhew

That is no good. Sump pumps are like gold right now, there are empty spots on the shelves for that particular item. Well best of luck to those in Britain

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   
In the thirty four years I have lived in the Kenai area I've never seen anything like this. I just recently purchased some property just north of Kenai. Heres a pic of my foundation a few days ago
and one of the Kasilof river at high tide
that was Thursday and the foundation picture was Tuesday I think. K-Beach road has been washed out as of Thursday night. I do not have much to add but wanted to share those pictures. The rain has subsided for now and the water level is dropping at my place, hopefully we've seen the worst, but then again this is Alaska and the weather can change in an instant. Still though I can not say that I'd feel safer in some other part of the world. The sun shines now and I must get busy before winter comes and finds me unprepared.
p.s. Delighted to know that others here on the Kenai find this site worthy of joining!

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Nonameworks

That's what everyone here has been telling me. 30 years, nothing like this in the Fall. I've been here in State and remember when the bridges washed out Deep Creek and Ninilchic but that was over 10 years ago. Thx for the info and the pictures.

Be safe and dry friend.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Prospector are we. lol $175,000 and counting this year.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Guess its getting worse, now its officially a disaster. More news of it here, from our local paper peninsulaclarion.com... .

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Did you enjoy the 30min of heavy snow? Lol

The flood warning keeps getting extended, hopefully you and your family are still dry, take care!

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I know I'm a little late on this, but hopefully everyone dried out before it froze.
This last season was crazy, and way too short. I can't believe it went from that to 5 degrees on us so quickly.

I know it is off topic, but since so many on this thread are from the peninsula, I was told by one of the main employees last sunday that "you may want to stock up on vanilla, because I just got a letter from costco saying they won't be shipping it south from Anchorage any more, along with baking spray and other items". I believe this will affect alot more than vanilla and baking spray. Heads up!

top topics

join