It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mars Rover finds mysterious pyramid shape rock

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 03:26 AM
link   
I used searched, but could not find this pic or story on here yet, if its here, I apologize.

This is the rock in question.

NASA’s Curiosity has its first analysis target: an intriguing rock with a pyramidal shape that is now 2.5m from the rover’s current location. The scientists at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory are excited about this and other features discovered by the rover’s cameras.

In fact, it seems that they have hit a jackpot, according to Mars Science Laboratory Project Scientist John Grotzinger, at Caltech: As we’re getting closer to the light-toned area, we see thin, dark bands of unknown origin. The smaller-scale diversity is becoming more evident as we get closer, providing more potential targets for investigation.

The next step will be to use the arm-mounted Alpha Particle X-Ray Spectrometer and the mast-mounted, laser-zapping Chemistry and Camera Instrument. These will provide scientists with precise data on the rock’s composition, which has been named “Jake Matijevic” after Jacob Matijevic, the former surface operations systems chief engineer for Mars Science Laboratory and Curiosity rover who died on August 20, aged 64.

Source

It certainly does look like a mini pyramid, not sure about the size of it though.

I will keep an eye on this specific story, and try and see if there is any more info regarding the composition of the rock, and maybe some more pics.

Very interesting stuff the Curiosity is starting to discover now! Great times ahead!

vvv

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 03:36 AM
link   
Don't know about that rock but it would be way cooler to find mysterious evidence of intelligent life rather than just some amoebas or microbes
edit on 21-9-2012 by Hawking because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 03:42 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 03:43 AM
link   
reply to post by gravitational

WTF man, I used many search terms, and nothing!!

I do apologize, thanks man.

vvv

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 04:04 AM
link   
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

did they start a contest of ' testing the sheeple - by showing the most obvious fakes to the public, and wait how much they can *increase* the absurdity of the fakes before finally someone télls those pics are fake ' ?

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 04:08 AM
link   
You can add your thoughts to the existing thread.

Thank you.

Thread closed.

top topics

join