It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oh No! Anti-Obama Coloring Book and the ACY?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   
[link and info about another forum removed by staff]

There appears to be an Anti-Obama group called America's Creative Youth (ACY) circulating an anti-Obama coloring book. I'm not sure if the organization is a hoax or not (perhaps a ploy by a joke news organization such as the Onion), as a Google search for the ACY turns up very little information.

The official website of the ACY appears to be under construction: ACY

The coloring book, whether it was created by the ACY or not, does physically exist, and I have linked to images from the coloring book below. It should be noted that the illustrator of the book, Mike Odin, seems to have used a pseudonym as a Google search doesn't seem to have turn up any Mike Odin associated with graphic arts. Information on Steven Abernathy is also scarce.

There doesn't seem to be any racist undertones in the coloring book, though it does paint Obama as a loath-worthy politician.

Spoiler: the answers are 1) They get elected, and 2) In charge of all of America's money.

According to the original story, the coloring book arrived packaged with a letter, which I have quoted segments of below. You can read all of the letter at the link to the original story.

In an historic partnership, America’s Creative Youth has gained cooperation from the National Security Agency and was allowed access to metrics and data collected by their new Utah Data Center. Through the UDC’s careful monitoring of your emails, phone calls, texts, and Internet activities, you have been identified as an ideal promotional recipient of our published materials. The NSA’s logs helped us identify you as a creative, humor-oriented, and somewhat dissenting young adult, ideal for helping us review politically themed satire that we hope to implement before the upcoming election.

I'm pretty sure this is a satirical letter, but why purchase a domain name, print a coloring book, and mail it to people as a joke? It's apparent that this wasn't orchestrated by some kids or small time trolls as it takes a good deal of professional collaboration to write, design, and publish a book. While this coloring book may appear as a joke, it takes a decent amount of time to illustrate a book. Furthermore, why bring so much attention onto the Utah Data Center? If this was a neo-con approach to raising anti-Obama sentiment, I strongly doubt it would mention the UDC.

Included in this package you will find a copy of Obama, Oh No!, a coloring book parody of President Barack Obama’s first term in office. Despite the child-like tone and obvious inclination of style, the book’s actual demographic are politically minded young adults, and we believe that you can help us better market to them!

So what exactly is ACY? Has anyone heard anything about them outside of what I just presented? If they are not a fake company, could they be soon making an appearance on the political stage? They have a website under construction, they are trying to raise anti-liberal sentiment amongst young adults, and they claim to be working with the NSA; however, there seem to be major flaws with their presentation and professionalism (it could just be a typo, but at the end of the physical letter ACY is actually misspelled as AYC. They also seem a bit too gung-ho about the UDC and boasting about NSA surveillance of American citizens), leading me to think that the coloring book and letter are a hoax.

Anyway, I did find the coloring book to be hilarious because although their criticism of Obama is rife with hyperbole, there is some truth to it. I should note that I'm a centrist with leftist leanings, though I often criticize both the right and the left in regards to how they run this country. I hope they come out with a Romney Oh No! coloring book next. I guess we'll see in the upcoming months if this ACY organization has any bearing to it.

edit on Wed Sep 12 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   
I'm afraid I have very little information to offer. You have done a great job of presenting this coloring book. I applaud your research and lack of bias. From the pictures you've posted it does not appear to be racist, which I am glad about. However, there is a stab at liberals on the front which could brainwash kids.

It is definitely interesting and I'd be interested to read more, if there is more. I don't know. I'm not appalled, but I don't see this as educating America's youth responsibly.

At the very least, it gave me a good laugh.

S&F

edit on 11-9-2012 by headorheart because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Barnes & Noble doesn't have it.

www.barnesandnoble.com...

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   
I actually just found the books website, along with a youtube video:

obama-ohno.com

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by DestroyDestroyDestroy

I wouldn't mind having a couple of these coloring books myself.
Now,does anyone have any ideas where I can buy them?

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by mamabeth

Lol I wouldn't mind having a copy of the book either, but I don't trust the trust the website they are being sold on.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Advertise this book on ATS become overnight millionaire!

I want one too. Just spitballing here but arent white supremicists pretty into Norse stuff? Odin? Meh.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   
People have the last time Odin
Usually the WP that link Odinism hardcore will change there name To (Example: Thor Odinson) Mike isn't really Norse. Half of them can't spell and know nothing of the actual Poetic Edda.
But these are just my encounters as a Odinist.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by JValhalla

I think that the name Mike Odin may be a pseudonym, simply because an artist may not want his name associated with radically political work as it could close doors to potential clients in the future. As such I wouldn't invest too much into it. I'm more concerned with the legibility of the ACY and possible ties to the NSA.

The actual product is being marketed as a joke, for good reason, but that doesn't prevent a politically ignorant individual from picking it up and mistaking its exaggerated claims for factual truths. It's pretty low key as of now, and it seems to only have been circulating for the past couple of months. It has almost no web presence, meaning the people behind the book are either trying to keep it low key or they REALLY suck at SEO and marketing.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   
brainwashing at its finest.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by theconspirator

This is no more brainwashing then all the junk you see put forth by the main stream media on a daily basis.

I'd like some copies of this as well. I'd give them to girl scout units and children churches.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by theconspirator

Originally posted by theconspirator

Yes, let's get to the children before they have the opportunity to make up their own minds! Don't teach children to think, teach them WHAT to think. People are sick!

top topics

join