It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

275kg Mutant Tuna Caught

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   
YOU know you've landed the catch of the day when experts advise you to test your fish for radioactivity.

SCEINTISTS are to test a monster bluefin tuna caught off New Zealand to see if it carries radioactivity from Japan's Fukushima nuclear plant.
www.weeklytimesnow.com.au...

The 275kg (606.271 pounds) tuna was caught by Victorian fisherman Paul Worsteling50km off the coast of Greymouth. Mr Worsteling said he waited more than 30 hours to hook the fish, then another two hours to haul it on board. This came after a year planning the trip to hook the fish.He said he was “blown away” when he saw the tuna, which took five men to haul aboard the boat. The fish will now be tested for radiation to determine if it has been affected by the Fukushima reactor meltdown in Japan.
www.weeklytimesnow.com.au...

That's one massive fishy fishy! I fish a lot in the southern pacific and have been noticing a huge increase in the size of the Tuna being caught since the Japan Meltdown.

Might stick to the pewl this summer as to not become Mutant Tuna food. We already have fairly cocky great whites that come within 50m of shore to worry about, as they are also searching for the cooler Tasmania waters.

That would be a good battle. Tuna vs Great White

Samuelis

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Samuelis

That is a big fish, just curious but what does the average Tuna weigh?

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   
I'm glad most of our tuna here in the UK comes from the Seychelles
As much as I like a big fish, I'd rather not have a side order of uranium.

That however is an incredible fish regardless. Surely it's too old to be this big due to mutation? No fish grows that fast and survives does it?
edit on 7-9-2012 by fiftyfifty because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   
They can grow up and over 800 kg (northern blue-fin) and 450 kg (pacific blue-fin).

250 kg or so is nothing.
edit on 7-9-2012 by Unrealised because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Cancerwarrior

Average about 550 pounds (250kg) The really large ones can fetch upwards of $700,000.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Unrealised
They can grow up and over 800 kg (northern blue-fin) and 450 kg (pacific blue-fin).

250 kg or so is nothing.

What? Show me evidence of this 800kg tuna.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   

I wonder what its diet consist of?

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   

That's a HUGE FISH!

I wonder how it got that big and didn't get caught before?

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ophiuchus 13

I wonder what its diet consist of?

Tuna fish eat other fish, squid, shellfish, plankton and maybe the odd refugee.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

Im guessing mainly seafood , fish , squid, crabs etc

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   

reply to post by PhoenixOD

Thanks Samuelis & PhoenixOD
, I ask because it COULD be a way to track radiation movement in the ocean if that's the case by following where these sea creatures the Tuna eat frequent most.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpearMint

Originally posted by Unrealised

250 kg or so is nothing.

What? Show me evidence of this 800kg tuna.

"The seven species of tunas in the genus Thunnus are the northern bluefin tuna (T. thynnus), albacore (T. alalunga), yellowfin tuna (T. albacares), southern bluefin tuna (T. thynnus maccoyii), bigeye tuna (T. obesus), blackfin tuna (T. atlanticus), and longtail tuna (T. tonggol). These different species range from moderate to very large in size. The giant of the group is the northern bluefin tuna, which grows to a maximum length and weight of about 4.3 metres (14 feet) and 800 kg (1,800 pounds). The yellowfin tuna reaches a maximum weight of about 180 kg, and the albacore grows to about 36 kg." www.britannica.com...

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Bloody hell, what are they selling dolphin safe tuna for, these things are going to eat a dolphin going near it.

Nah I have a really hard time thinking about a school of tuna the size of those beasts. Really??

Makes the whiting I often catch, when not catching blowies, look decidedly paltry when it comes down to it.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

No worries bud. They are hoping to use the same method to track the movements of other migratory species including sea turtles and sharks.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

This show's them in action.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   
I think id go crazy if i landed 3/4 million dollar fish and found out i could not sell it

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

Or eat it.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Looks like he is eating tuna for the next few months.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Wow. Ok, we learn new things everyday.

Still, 250-800kg fish are incomprehensible to think of.

I mean, these fish are more than I had thought of, in terms of behaviour. But these ones are still not the size of 5 fat blokes having a snorkle in the sea, in groups large enough to warrant an alert.

Awesome vid tho, thanks! Seems even the small fish know it's only a matter of time, as they huddle together in a seemingly inevitable swim of circular death.

Mackerel?! 99%
tuna/dolphin! 1%

occupy my dinner plate !!!!
edit on 7-9-2012 by winofiend because: is dark in this here cave

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   
The current world record tackle only bluefin 1496 lb

Calling the fish a mutant is rubbish, the fish that was caught is at least 15 years old, so the Japanese situation had nothing to do with its size

top topics

<<   2 >>

join