It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We must make equality for gays and lesbians a mainstream concern - Mitt Romney

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 04:27 AM
link   

If we are to achieve the goals we share, we must make equality for gays and lesbians a mainstream concern.

-Mitt Romney

www.boston.com...

He also says, “I am more convinced now than ever before that as we seek to establish full equality for America’s gays and lesbians, I will provide more effective leadership than my opponent."

Another one of the many issues on which he has flip-flopped...
edit on 7-9-2012 by longlostbrother because: (no reason given)

+5 more 
posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 04:30 AM
link   
Gays and lesbians are equal under law - Constitutionally. They don't need Brother Mitt to give them permission to be Americans. What they need is for the rest of us to grow up and realize that others peoples business is exactly that - other peoples business.

We're too late in the game to be nit picking about differences in lifestyle or opinion now. United we stand, divided we'll fall.

~Heff

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 04:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

Gays and lesbians are equal under law - Constitutionally. They don't need Brother Mitt to give them permission to be Americans. What they need is for the rest of us to grow up and realize that others peoples business is exactly that - other peoples business.

We're too late in the game to be nit picking about differences in lifestyle or opinion now. United we stand, divided we'll fall.

~Heff

I know, someone should tell Mitt Romney that!

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 04:46 AM
link   
I have an idea. Shut your mouth? If you dropped out of highschool and the job hires you without asking for your education history, would you run and tell your boss that you dropped out? No because it's stupidity. People are going to HATE! It is human nature. If you don't want to deal with it then shut your mouth. It is not your right nor your duty as a gay American to change our minds. If people do not like gay people they have a right to not like gay people. Some people choose to be racist and guess what? It is legal to be racist in America.

Freedom of speech people. You do not deserve privlage for being white, black, gay, straight, male or female. You have a right to equality. Nothing more. Nothing less. It is never your right to limit my rights. It's that simple.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 04:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueBlood
I have an idea. Shut your mouth? If you dropped out of highschool and the job hires you without asking for your education history, would you run and tell your boss that you dropped out? No because it's stupidity. People are going to HATE! It is human nature. If you don't want to deal with it then shut your mouth. It is not your right nor your duty as a gay American to change our minds. If people do not like gay people they have a right to not like gay people. Some people choose to be racist and guess what? It is legal to be racist in America.

Freedom of speech people. You do not deserve privlage for being white, black, gay, straight, male or female. You have a right to equality. Nothing more. Nothing less. It is never your right to limit my rights. It's that simple.

I think this is pretty convoluted....

Equality is about more than just legal obligations, it's about civil rights... if a person can't say they're gay, without getting crapped on, then all the "legal" protections are kinda meaningless.

Equating gay people with people lying in a job interview is pretty weak.

Being gay isn't the educational equivalent of high school drop out.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 05:00 AM
link   

It is legal to be racist in America.

You know what else is legal? To call a bigot a hypocrite jackass and call him out on his wussy back peddling.

You cite "freedom of speech" then get mad when people complain about that speech? Jeeze.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 05:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by longlostbrother

Equality is about more than just legal obligations, it's about civil rights... if a person can't say they're gay, without getting crapped on, then all the "legal" protections are kinda meaningless.

What's wrong with being a high school drop out? Some of the smartest people I've known dropped out to care for their family or whatever else. Society still looks down on them. American society, which is mostly Christian, has a problem with homosexuals. I personally could care less what a person does in their bedroom and, to be honest, it's none of my business. The problem I have is, if I don't belong in your bedroom... then why does Government?

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 05:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cuervo

You know what else is legal? To call a bigot a hypocrite jackass and call him out on his wussy back peddling.

You cite "freedom of speech" then get mad when people complain about that speech? Jeeze.

Who is mad? I just think that if you join the military, you probably have better things to be doing than running around the base telling people your sexual preference. I'm not saying that you should be kicked out because someone found out, but alot of people honestly do try to get special treatment because of their race, sex or orientation. That cannot be denied.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 05:15 AM
link   

I'd also like to know exactly how homosexuals are being "crapped on". Which business in America will not hire a man or woman because of their sexual orientation? Explain to me where a homosexual needs legal protection? This is a non issue and, to be honest, it's more like asking for a hand out and an advantage over true equality and protection.

As I said you can't stop hate. It is not your right to stop hate. It is not your right to change the opinion of grown adults. If you don't like what other people think about you, tough cookies. Welcome to the real world.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 05:16 AM
link   

Who is mad? I just think that if you join the military, you probably have better things to be doing than running around the base telling people your sexual preference. I'm not saying that you should be kicked out because someone found out, but alot of people honestly do try to get special treatment because of their race, sex or orientation. That cannot be denied.

To be honest, I only hear people who are offended by gay people making noise.

It's like when women were trying to get suffrage:

"My god! When are those women going to stop flaunting their boobs around and trying to get these 'equal rights'?! I mean, c'mon! You don't see me running around bragging about my right to vote. Seriously! Where do they get the nerve to ask for equal pay!? It's like they think they can be as responsible as a man!"

You can replace "woman" with "black", "gay", or even "Jew" at one time.

Seriously, you are wrong. In five years, you will be an antiquated corpse of an internet meme.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 05:19 AM
link   

To be honest, I only hear people who are offended by gay people making noise.

It's like when women were trying to get suffrage:

"My god! When are those women going to stop flaunting their boobs around and trying to get these 'equal rights'?! I mean, c'mon! You don't see me running around bragging about my right to vote. Seriously! Where do they get the nerve to ask for equal pay!? It's like they think they can be as responsible as a man!"

You can replace "woman" with "black", "gay", or even "Jew" at one time.

Seriously, you are wrong. In five years, you will be an antiquated corpse of an internet meme.

I'm wrong for thinking that gays and/or women don't deserve special treatment? Let's just slap the slogan on the country now! "America! Hand outs to gays and women". Equal rights is one thing. There is nothing in this country preventing a homosexual or woman from becoming President.

THIS IS A NON ISSUE!

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 05:22 AM
link   

I'd also like to know exactly how homosexuals are being "crapped on". Which business in America will not hire a man or woman because of their sexual orientation? Explain to me where a homosexual needs legal protection? This is a non issue and, to be honest, it's more like asking for a hand out and an advantage over true equality and protection.

As I said you can't stop hate. It is not your right to stop hate. It is not your right to change the opinion of grown adults. If you don't like what other people think about you, tough cookies. Welcome to the real world.

I'm guessing you know very few gay people?

They can't marry in most states, they don't have the same legal rights to see their partners in the hospital, pass on inheritance, a host of things, that straight couple have.

They are continually suffering from discrimination, continually.

usnews.nbcnews.com...

www.gaystarnews.com...

www.huffingtonpost.com...

That's three from the last month.

I'm gonna just assume you're extremely ignorant.

How about this:

In 34 states, it is still perfectly legal for lesbian and gay employees to be fired simply because their employers discover, and disapprove of, their sexual orientation.

civilliberty.about.com...

People fired for being gay:

www.policymic.com...

abcnews.go.com...

abcnews.go.com...

www.care2.com...

How many more you want?

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 05:26 AM
link   
reply to post by longlostbrother

Explain to me how it is Government that needs to dictate to people what they should do on a religous matter? As you've said, this is a STATE issue. You are basically calling for Government to restrict state rights so that homosexuals can partake in a religious ceremony. I have news for you, the states were set up to be as different as England is to China. If you don't like state laws, be a grown up and move to another state. At the very least attempt to tackle the issue locally instead of bowing down to a corporate puppet to dictate your beliefs onto the entire country.

One of your links is dead. The others involve hate CRIMES which I never said that I agreed with. Hate and hate crime are 2 different things.
edit on 7-9-2012 by TrueBlood because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 05:32 AM
link   

Explain to me how it is Government that needs to dictate to people what they should do on a religous matter? As you've said, this is a STATE issue. You are basically calling for Government to restrict state rights so that homosexuals can partake in a religious ceremony. I have news for you, the states were set up to be as different as England is to China. If you don't like state laws, be a grown up and move to another state. At the very least attempt to tackle the issue locally instead of bowing down to a corporate puppet to dictate your beliefs onto the entire country.

None of the links are dead?

I NEVER said it was a STATE issue. It's a NATIONAL issue.

As many many people have said, the constitution doesn't discriminate against gay people. It in fact protects every one, equally.

As with MANY civil rights issues, states baulk at getting involved, to please their constituents. Look at integration of public schools, states refused to do it, so the Federal government forced them.

You may not think black kids should be in school with white kids, but you'd be wrong.

If it takes the Feds forcing states to protect their own citizens from discrimination and violence, then so be it.

The whole states rights argument is tired and obviously doesn't work in cases like this.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 05:32 AM
link   

I'm wrong for thinking that gays and/or women don't deserve special treatment?

Nope. I'm with you there. Nobody should get "special treatment". Now what special treatment are you talking about exactly? The right to marry and be recognized by the government? Do heterosexuals have that right? Does that mean you believe in special rights for heterosexuals?

Le' Gasp! Am I wrong for thinking that heterosexuals don't deserve special treatment?

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 05:37 AM
link   

I'm wrong for thinking that gays and/or women don't deserve special treatment?

Nope. I'm with you there. Nobody should get "special treatment". Now what special treatment are you talking about exactly? The right to marry and be recognized by the government? Do heterosexuals have that right? Does that mean you believe in special rights for heterosexuals?

Le' Gasp! Am I wrong for thinking that heterosexuals don't deserve special treatment?

I don't see how a religious issue should be a right at all. You have the right to practice any religion you choose. Does a politian Marry you or is it a priest? My opinion on the subject is that the states in question are acting in an unconstitutional mannar. But your focus should directed towards pointing out the issue rather than demanding that Romney make it a top priority. This is not a Government or State issue at the end of the day... this is states acting unconstitutional and the people allowing it to happen.

My point is that you don't need to demand to talk to the President every time there is an issue. We are not (officially) ruled by a King here. Nothing is preventing you from going out and making your voice heard on a topic.
edit on 7-9-2012 by TrueBlood because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 05:43 AM
link   

It is not the Government's job to protect your rights. It is your job to protect your rights. The Government is going to continue to take them away. This is the entire thought process of Jefferson. These rights are not given to you by Government nor are they guranteed. You defend them and even then you still may lose them. Casting a vote doesn't gurantee your rights. If you have an issue you use the rights you have left to make the issue heard.

As I said, this is not a national issue. This is a state by state issue and it needs to be handled there at the state level.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 05:45 AM
link   

I don't see how a religious issue should be a right at all. You have the right to practice any religion you choose.

Um... okay? What religious issue?

Does a politian Marry you or is it a priest?

Is that a real question?! Do you really live in some isolated place where only Christian shamans (or whatever) can marry people? For real? Tell me this. If you get married in one of your dirty backwater churches, does that automatically make you married in the eyes of the law? NO. Now... if I got married in a court room (or temple, grove, satanic pentagram, inside Jesus's tomb, etc) by a state-licensed officiator, would I be married in the eyes of the law? YES! Yes, yes YES! Your priest has NOTHING to do with it. My god, how do people actually think this?

When people insinuate that marriage is a religious construct "invented" by Christianity, I honestly still can't believe they aren't just trolling. But then, eventually, they convince me that they really really truly, in the depths of their holy adorable hearts, really believe that. Man, we are screwed.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 05:49 AM
link   

I don't see how a religious issue should be a right at all. You have the right to practice any religion you choose.

Um... okay? What religious issue?

Does a politian Marry you or is it a priest?

Is that a real question?! Do you really live in some isolated place where only Christian shamans (or whatever) can marry people? For real? Tell me this. If you get married in one of your dirty backwater churches, does that automatically make you married in the eyes of the law? NO. Now... if I got married in a court room (or temple, grove, satanic pentagram, inside Jesus's tomb, etc) by a state-licensed officiator, would I be married in the eyes of the law? YES! Yes, yes YES! Your priest has NOTHING to do with it. My god, how do people actually think this?

When people insinuate that marriage is a religious construct "invented" by Christianity, I honestly still can't believe they aren't just trolling. But then, eventually, they convince me that they really really truly, in the depths of their holy adorable hearts, really believe that. Man, we are screwed.

Where did I ever say that Christians invented the grass, the sky and the blessed hole where thy crap? The point I'm trying to make here is that you shouldn't have to run and tell the government everytime you go to wipe your ass. Do you understand that? And I being simple enough for you now? Did we miss the part we learned that the United States is mostly Christian? If you don't like it you're free to leave. Nobody needs you to live here.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 05:50 AM
link   

Nobody should get "special treatment".

No one should get special treatment based on gender, skin color, sexual orientation ... Definately.
But marriage equality isn't special treatment .. it's being treated like everyone else.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join