It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Experts Warn Mount Fuji is Dangerously Close to Erupting

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+24 more 
posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   

The pressure in Mount Fuji's magma chamber is now higher than it was in 1707, the last time the nearly 4,000-metre-high Japanese volcano erupted, causing volcanologists to speculate that a disaster is imminent.

The new readings, taken by the National Research Institute for Earth Science and Disaster Prevention, reveal that the pressure is at 1.6 megapascals, nearly 16 times the 0.1 megapascals it takes to trigger an eruption.

Not good folks... definitely something worth keeping an eye on. This has the potential to be a world-changing event. Between killing an estimated 300,000 people, to setting off nuclear reactors, to blacking out the sun and lowering the overall temperature of the Earth, it is a definite game changer.

Source

I have a feeling this is going to happen relatively soon just based on the models and current pressure, but pure speculation on my part. Perhaps TrueAmerican will chime in at some point and set the record straight.

~Namaste

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   
I see this as an excellent way to determine if the science of Volcanology is progressing. There are several monitoring sites in Japan and you would think that they all are paying serious attention to the activity. The data will hopefully reveal new information that can create an even better early warning system.
Don't get me wrong, this is scary as hell for the people living in the shadows of Fuji! It will cause serious damage when it erupts and I hope for their safety.

+9 more 
posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   
How the heck do they know how high the pressure was in 1707?
Maybe someone had a pressure gauge back then and recorded the pressure on some ricepaper.. Sounds like speculation to me
The validity of the evidence is unimportant anyway, it's only there to convince people that it is going to blow soon which it probably will.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 11:46 PM
link   
I remember back when the quake hit, some of us were discussing the up-tick in activity at Fuji and discussed what an eruoption would mean. When you have volcanologists coming forward stating that a catastrophic eruption is imminent....you better listen.

This is a very scary scenario.....

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Last week it was California going into the ocean, so this is an improvement!

Lots of people addicted to fear on this site. Just telling you in case you want to work on it.

edit on 6-9-2012 by PrimitiveWorld because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by SonOfTheLawOfOne

There is definately an uptick in volcanic activity at the moment.

3.7 quake in yellowstone 2 days ago

volcano in New Zealand awakened recently after 120 years

quake in lake Toba last week

I don't think people realise how potentially catastrophic this is. 2 or 3 of the super volacnoes blow their top at once - we are in deep crap. No sunlight for years !

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Ten more days till the seventeenth, that's the next EOW prediction I think.
Need a calendar to keep track of all these predictions.

I got a hunch that something is going to happen in the near future that will cause a sharp increase in fuel prices.
edit on 7-9-2012 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 04:48 AM
link   
They need to like drill holes by volcanoes to make like low pressure points to soften or eliminate eruptions.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 04:53 AM
link   
On the plus side, world government would not have to spend billions chemtrailing the skies. More money for welfare.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 05:00 AM
link   

The pressure in Mount Fuji's magma chamber is now higher than it was in 1707...

Just how in the world do they know this? I mean KNOW.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 05:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by PrimitiveWorld

Last week it was California going into the ocean, so this is an improvement!

Lots of people addicted to fear on this site. Just telling you in case you want to work on it.

edit on 6-9-2012 by PrimitiveWorld because: (no reason given)

well if anything DOES happen, you can thank me for warning you. yes... that was me...

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 05:07 AM
link   
so discussing a warning from volcanologists about a possible catastrophe is "spreading fear" nowadays is it?

well i'm not in japan so i'm not afraid, but if i was living there, i would rather be told than not...

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 06:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by zonetripper2065
They need to like drill holes by volcanoes to make like low pressure points to soften or eliminate eruptions.

Any idea how big those holes would have to be? And the size of that drill

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Quoting from OP posted article

A 2004 government report originally estimated that an eruption would cost the country £19.6 billion. However, new studies are underway by Honshu Island's Shizuoka prefectural government. The study is focussing on the potential damage that would be caused by a series of simultaneous earthquakes in the Tokai, Tonankai and Nankai regions located along the Nankai Trough, where it is feared another earthquake will soon take place. The most recent models have revealed that, in the worst-case scenario, 323,000 people would die and the tremors could trigger an eruption at Mount Fuji.

The 300 000 deaths aren't from the eruption but from the series of simultaneous earthquakes in the Tokai, Tonankai and Nankai regions located along the Nankai Trough. And those quakes could trigger an eruption at Mount Fuji.

Just to clarify so we all understand it properly.
But I agree if Japaneese Volcanologists emmits a warning it's time to start to worry a bit for the people living around Mount Fuji.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Anybody know the occult significance of an eruption on Mount Fuji? I hear many things, perhaps somebody knows a bit of Japanese culture can enlighten us on this?

There is one legend that tells about a young boy meeting a maiden at a shrine of the goddess of Mount Fuji. The Goddess cured the entire village for plague. There is also that sinister forest nearby. This mountain is a special place. Perhaps dig some know something about the occult meaning if this is a sign?

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Anybody know the occult significance of an eruption on Mount Fuji? I hear many things, perhaps somebody knows a bit of Japanese culture can enlighten us on this?

There is one legend that tells about a young boy meeting a maiden at a shrine of the goddess of Mount Fuji. The Goddess cured the entire village for plague. There is also that sinister forest nearby. This mountain is a special place. Perhaps dig some know something about the occult meaning if this is a sign?

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by NeoVain

Drilling volcanoes is pretty routine these days
drill enough holes and it would make break points kind of like a fault line no?
If a single fracking operation can cause a 5.8 magnitude earthquake, who knows it might work in reverse.
Unless your gonna be cool about it don't bother responding I'm not feeling up to a 17 page back and forth flame war, I like to add to a thread, not derail it.
edit on 7-9-2012 by zonetripper2065 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

How did they know about the pressure in 1707?

An active stratovolcano[5][6] that last erupted in 1707–08, Mount Fuji lies about 100 kilometres (62 mi) south-west of Tokyo, and can be seen from there on a clear day.

It erupted in 1707-8 that's how they know.

The volcano is currently classified as active with a low risk of eruption. The last recorded eruption was the Hōei eruption which started on December 16, 1707 (Hōei 4, 23rd day of the 11th month) and ended about January 1, 1708 (Hōei 4, 9th day of the 12th month) during the Edo period.[47] The eruption formed a new crater and a second peak (named Hōei-zan after the Hoei era) halfway down its side. Fuji spewed cinders and ash which fell like rain in Izu, Kai, Sagami, and Musashi.[48] Since then, there have been no signs of an eruption. In the evening of March 15, 2011, there was a magnitude 6.2 earthquake at shallow depth a few kilometres from Mount Fuji on its southern side. But according to the Japanese Meteorological Service there was no sign of any eruption.[49] In September 2012, readings taken by the National Research Institute for Earth Science and Disaster Prevention suggest that the pressure in Mount Fuji's magma chamber is now higher at 1.6 megapascals than it was in 1707.[50]

Source

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by nidstav

I asked a couple of my buddies and they all have said that their are some regional-family ones, but not really any cultural ones.

One of them, Doc Matsubara says "When Mount Fuji erupts a new Daimyo will emerge, but to what effect is up for grabs." But admits that this from his uneducated Grand Father.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by thesungod

Was there any way of testing the pressure of the volcano in 1707? Was this evidence written down. It is an assumption made by science but in reality the pressure in 1707 is not really known. The pressure could have been double of what it is today and comparing something has to be made against the exact conditions of the particular volcano, In the future they will have a good reference after it blows. I understand that they are guessing using evidence from other known similar situations. That is all they have and it is a good start. If we can keep adding reference materials to our database for another hundred years we will be a lot more accurate in predicting these things. I don't understand why people can't see this, most scientists are very aware of their limitations. The writers of the articles that are released are over emphasizing the knowledge of these things. I hope they aren't teaching the new scientists that we know more than we do nowadays, that could be dangerous and disruptive.

The estimation of the condition of the volcano can also be right on but if using their speculation about the volcano being overdue long ago was taken seriously ten years ago say, it would have destroyed the validity of science if people would have evacuated back then. I understand how science works and it was good for them to release this since they know of the condition so people can leave there if they want.

They knew a quake was going to happen soon in Haiti but didn't say anything because there was no exact proof. I think they should have at least told people to prepare because something may happen within a year in that case.

edit on 7-9-2012 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join