It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US unemployment benefit applications drop 12,000 to 365,000

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 07:52 AM
link   

WASHINGTON — The number of people seeking unemployment benefits fell by 12,000 last week, a hopeful signal that the job market may be improving. The Labor Department says applications declined to a seasonally adjusted 365,000. The four-week average, a less volatile measure, ticked up to 371,250.

Economists forecast that employers added 135,000 jobs last month, while the unemployment rate is expected to stay unchanged at 8.3 percent.

US unemployment benefit applications drop 12,000 to 365,000, suggesting hiring may improve

Edit to add:Mods, Please Move, if needed.
Thank You

edit on 6-9-2012 by sonnny1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Our Economy is in the crapper. 8.3% unchanged.

Who are they kidding?

I leave you this video.

edit on 6-9-2012 by sonnny1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Yep the economy is fantastic.
People who lose unemployment go for disability.
People who do gain employment are taking pay cuts to sometimes half of what they made.
The jobs out there (there are jobs) are either low paying or are for people not skilled for that trade (not pointing fingers just saying).
And in the meantime how many of 'em still on unemployment are building up credit debt trying to stay afloat and keep what they have?
How many of them will have to finally suck it up and take the lousy job and then declare?
Food and gas have gone up significantly in the last 10 years and it's not going to get better, oh wait, there was a drought, expect it to get worse, whether or not there is actual reason to jack prices up, they probably will.
Seniors on fixed incomes are having such a hard time making ends meet they're stealing food from stores (have a friend in grocery store management and he's appalled at what he's seeing).

Yep. It's getting better folks.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by SangriaRed

Agree.

I know plenty of people, working paycheck to paycheck. I also know plenty of people unemployed, and cant claim unemployment benefits anymore.I wonder what the TRUE rate, of unemployment, really is. I wonder how many on ATS are part of that crowd.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 08:06 AM
link   
I found this information interesting...

Unemployment During the Great Depression

Average rate of unemployment
in 1929: 3.2%
in 1930: 8.9%
in 1931: 16.3%
in 1932: 24.1%
in 1933: 24.9%
in 1934: 21.7%
in 1935: 20.1%
in 1936: 16.9%
in 1937: 14.3%
in 1938: 19.0%
in 1939: 17.2%3

Source

Unemployment always seems to improve just prior to a economic collapse, and evident to the unemployment statistics around the great depression.

II wonder if this is a similar case, as forecasters are predicting another economic downturn

3 doomsaying experts who foresee economic devastation ahead

Harry Dent, author of the new book The Great Crash Ahead, says another stock market crash is coming due to a bad ending to the global debt bubble. He has pulled back on his earlier prediction of a crash in 2012, as central banks around the world have been flooding markets with money, giving stocks an artificial short-term boost. But a crash is coming in 2013 or 2014, he warns. "This will be a repeat of 2008-09, only bigger, when it finally hits," Dent told USA TODAY.

I agree that unemployment statistics can be easily miscontrude as they consider people barely living pay cheque to pay cheque as fully employed.

I just hope economic safeguards hold up if we are truely heading towards economic fluctuations.
edit on 6-9-2012 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1
reply to post by SangriaRed

Agree.

I know plenty of people, working paycheck to paycheck. I also know plenty of people unemployed, and cant claim unemployment benefits anymore.I wonder what the TRUE rate, of unemployment, really is. I wonder how many on ATS are part of that crowd.

According to government statistics, if the same number of people were seeking work today

as in 2007 the unemployment rate would be 11%.

Instead of focusing on the 8.3% unemployment number, just follow Clint Eastwood.

23 Million Americans are unemployed. That is a disgrace.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 08:08 AM
link   

US unemployment benefit applications drop 12,000 to 365,000,

Don't you think the title is misleading? Can't drop from 12 to 365.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

Scary statistics indeed.

With the Euro crisis, still unresolved, and how everything is tied in, We could see collapse, on a World Wide scale. Even Putin, was telling Russia, they need to prepare.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Trueman

Just sourcing the News source, and yes it looks weird.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Trueman

I believe it means to say that the application number was actually 377,000 ... then it "dropped" by 12,000 giving a new figure of 365,000 applications.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Here is updated unemployment graph..I see some similarities

The US is hovering just over 8% unemployment very close to what the levels during the time of the great depression came into full swing.

I am not fear mongering here and i admit that modern financial safe guards are in place to mitigate some of these fluctuations, but the US economic track record is not that good and I tend to be cautious.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by tauristercus

Originally posted by Trueman

I believe it means to say that the application number was actually 377,000 ... then it "dropped" by 12,000 giving a new figure of 365,000 applications.

The message is clear: No change......America is still in deep trouble

Clearly, Obamas economic policies have failed.

Everyone can see that.

Americans can also see the $16 Trillion National Debt.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

Good stuff.

I am not into fear mongering either, but this isn't getting better, regardless on how people want to take it, or see it. Our economy is NOT getting better. Neither is the rest of the Worlds economy. Politicians have put us into the Position to sink or swim.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Eurisko2012

The message is clear: No change......America is still in deep trouble

Clearly, Obamas economic policies have failed.

Everyone can see that.

Americans can also see the $16 Trillion National Debt.

I agree, actually.

I cant for the life of me think how ANYONE can say, Obama has done a great job, with the economy. Period.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1
reply to post by MDDoxs

Good stuff.

I am not into fear mongering either, but this isn't getting better, regardless on how people want to take it, or see it. Our economy is NOT getting better. Neither is the rest of the Worlds economy. Politicians have put us into the Position to sink or swim.

well in a debt based economy like we have, their plan is to tell us everything is fine or getting better in order to get the idiots who believe them to spend money. trouble is that won't work any longer since the house of cards has a rotten foundation, which is about to collapse.

our real unemployment rate is probably 20% at the moment as the last time real numbers were reported was probably the 30s.

yes folks what we're witnessing is the worlds largest ponzi scheme imploding before our eyes.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   
This is sort of a rant to myself here....

It makes sense to mis represent some statistical information with regards to the economy for the following reasons...in my opinion

1. If you tell the population the country is heading to an economic collapse, people stop spending money and horde assets, resulting in the exacerbation of the issue.

2. Can either prolong the period of time to find solutions to resolving the economic crisis.

I am sure their are more valid or logical reasons, those are the first the came to my mind.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   
I had this conversation the other day and I will briefly recap it.

In late 2007 and early 2008 when the markets tanked and the economy plunged into the crapper...the economists warned it would take a minimum of 10 years to recover...nuff said.

We are inherently impatient. We are spoiled that way "I want what I want and I want it now!". Doesn't matter how much we stomp around pulling our hair and flailing our arms...these things take time. It took over a decade to recover from the Great Depression. If anyone thinks this "recession" wasn't a depression...oh well.

It doesn't matter who would have taken over the White House in 2009...it's going to take till 2017 or 2019 to make a full recovery...it's just the way it is. I listened to the economists, I digested their info and settled myself into the fact it was going to be a long, hard road ahead. I did not fool myself that some magic incantation....some divine intervention...was going to fix this...and it hasn't...and it won't.

I know people "need" to believe that sunny days are just around the corner...they are not. Doesn't matter who gets elected. We can only grin and bare it and hope that whoever gets in the White House can inspire bi-partisan legislation to get some things done that we need to get done....and there is a bunch of things that need to be done.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   
i wonder if thats because the benefits ran out and they have that many less claiming unemployment.

That would be my guess....

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Jeremiah65

you're making one fatal error in your belief system. your error is believing that this is just an economic downturn when in fact it is the end result of hundreds of years worth of corruption and very much corruption, that is still in place.

you think you're looking at a piece of meat with a little dirt on the outside of it, when in reality that piece of meat is rotting from the inside out so no matter how much you wash it off it won't change what it is, 10 years or a 100 years from now won't make any difference.

the fox can't be in charge of the hen house, it just doesn't work.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by LittleBlackEagle

Wow great analogy.

I share your beliefs on the matter. I fear that the end result is inevitable and reports such as the one posted in the OP are just meant to be an attempt at persuading the masses of this illusionary improvement in the economy.

Well done my friend

top topics

<<   2 >>

join