It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Major quake in Phillipines (7.9 prelim)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by union_jack

I would not be at all suprised if the area around California is affected by this, I have noticed many times with major earthquakes in the past that the antipodal point of the quake will have subsequent quakes shortly (sometimes up to a day) afterwards and with the amount that have been occurring around Cali already, makes it more than likely I would have thought.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   
The Tsunami warning has been cancelled

Aug. 31 (Bloomberg) -- A tsunami alert was canceled after a magnitude-7.6 earthquake hit off the coast of the Philippines, according to the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center.

The quake was revised down from 7.9, according to the U.S. Geological Survey. A tsunami warning had been issued in Northern Samar, Eastern Samar, Leyte, Southern Leyte, Surigao del Norte, Surigao del Sur and residents in coastal areas were advised to evacuate to ground at least 10 meters (33 feet) higher than sea level, vulcanologist Jane Punongbayan told local radio dzMM.

LINK HERE

Thank goodness, and suck on THAT, fearmongerers

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   
What *IS* ocurring is the following ...

In the pacific ocean, there is a rift that opens and lava is filling it up ... as it does this, it pushes on the ocean floor which is a thinned crustal plate. As it pushes the ocean floors, they push against the continents, which preassure as the continents crumble over the ocean floor. There is no subduction, to talk about ... the continents when under this preassure, squeeze and crumble, causing the continents line to slowly but surely flatten out into the ocean. Thinning this part of the continental crust, while the mainland inland crust experiences buildup underneath it, of new pathways for lavaflow underneat.

This differs from the classical view, that the ocean floor is moving under the continents. It's the other way around, the continents are "collapsing" over the oceanfloors.

Tsunamis will happen, when the coastal line collapses towards the oceanfloor ...

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I have an app on my Galaxy SII that notifies me of any earthquakes. I have 3 filters. One for my area, SO. Cal and one for the Costa Rica area where my parents live and one world wide for anything over 4.0. I've had this app for a few years even on my previous phone with the same filters. In the last 2 weeks my phone is constantly in a state of notification. One after another all day/night. If you look at the big picture, the ring of fire is in hyper drive along with all the ridges, Atlantic etc..

I can't help but think this is a world wide thing and the plates are doing a massive shift and everything around must accomodate, like a domino chain.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   
OMG I am here now, what a way to go, OK, I am reading backwards now for updates.

My deepest concern for all people in the region, I wonder how Art Bell and his family are?

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by cluedup

Or perhaps this was the reverse affect of your theory. Lets hope.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   
How on earth can there be a 7.! and very few reports of damage, destruction and loss of life?

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Well what's the verdict? Did a tsunami happen because it doesn't seem that big of a deal. Hasn't hit main stream media very hard just a paragraph.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by antar
reply to post by cluedup

Or perhaps this was the reverse affect of your theory. Lets hope.

Mankind has a lot to learn, why earthquakes are caused and the causes
are prolly great in number

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   
From what I have read, one person's life did get taken. I've yet to hear more.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

Here is one pic from Samar Island showing some damage.

edit on 31-8-2012 by gator2001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by gator2001

Wow I came on and checked out the thread, saw your picture and had a comment to it before I realized that the post was adressed to me. Thank you, what I thought was how this is what I see happening due to the New Madras event slated to happen soon in my area. I was gathering File for gumbo today, bluemoon, hurricane clouds from the gulf coast, and have been seeing cracks on my property I have never seen before. I was thinking that the way they are located, my home will be saved but there will be cracks like this on either side of it...

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by gator2001

What does that guy carry on his shoulder? An easy chair?

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Angelic Resurrection

Good to see you again, hope all is well where you are. Things are getting more crazy by the day.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

I am not sure what that is on his shoulder. I kind of looks like a cardboard box or something sililar.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by TruthxIsxInxThexMist
reply to post by reverandrandy

From skynews:

Seismologists using Twitter to detect tremors say the social network beat their own advanced equipment in spotting an earthquake off the Philippines.

The micro-blogging site is being used as an early-warning system by the US Geological Survey (USGS) to quickly gather information about earthquakes around the globe.

The system, called Twitter Earthquake Detection (Ted), beat the survey’s own sensors on Friday in detecting the 7.6-earthquake which struck off the Philippine coast.

news.sky.com...

That is awesome.

The speed that you can spread information is getting faster and faster.

The fact that twitter can beat the equipment meant for earthquake detection interesting to say the least.

~Rev

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by antar
reply to post by Angelic Resurrection

Good to see you again, hope all is well where you are. Things are getting more crazy by the day.

Thanks, am nowhere near the phillipines, but i also hope things there are getting better.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   
For the magnitude of the quake, things could have been much worse in today's world. Good thing there are still places like the Philippines where it is not too crowded in the province.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by cluedup
reply to post by union_jack

I would not be at all suprised if the area around California is affected by this, I have noticed many times with major earthquakes in the past that the antipodal point of the quake will have subsequent quakes shortly (sometimes up to a day) afterwards and with the amount that have been occurring around Cali already, makes it more than likely I would have thought.

I'm not sure why California would be affected, if you are talking antipodes.

Seems the antipode of the Philippines isn't California -- it is somewhere in Brazil.

www.antipodemap.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join