It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Men doing photoshoot for breast cancer arrested for having a gun

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   

'Just a bunch of dudes walking across the bridge wearing camo'

PORTLAND, Ore. – It's a scene that practically defines the phrase "keep Portland weird." Portland police shut down the Burnside Bridge on Wednesday evening and detained 13 bearded men who said they were headed to a photo shoot to raise money for breast cancer research Wednesday evening.

The problem was the men were wearing camo and witnesses said one had a rifle. According to spokesman Robert King, police received a report that a man on the bridge had an assault rifle. Officers shut down the bridge just after 7:30 p.m. while they investigated. Police found 13 bearded men, many of whom wore military style uniforms. One of the men had an assault rifle, King said. They were taken to the Central Precinct. It's unclear if the assault rifle was loaded.

Several of the men told KATU News they were on their way to take a photo under the "Portland, Oregon" sign near the Burnside Bridge to raise money for breast cancer research. The men said the photo was going to be part of a Beards for Breasts calendar. "It's from Seattle," said Jedediah Aacker. "This girl, Sugar June, does it. She puts together a calendar for all the beard clubs around the nation. Beards for breasts." Someone called police when they saw one of the men holding a rifle on the bridge. "We were wearing camo gear and stuff walking up to do the shoot and sure enough police show up, boom, arrested us," said Aacker. "We were just a bunch of dudes walking across the bridge wearing camo getting rad." King said two of the men were arrested and charged with disorderly conduct for handling the rifle.

On Thursday, police sent out pictures of the gear they seized from the men. It included a military vest, bandolier, rifle, helmet and other camo gear. The men told KATU there were 10 of them. Police said 13 were detained. The bridge was opened at around 8:15. "We didn't mean to shake up the community or shut down the Burnside Bridge," said Matthew Jenkins. "Just trying to save boobs, you know?"

source

So I can sort of see why there would be a reaction like this in most places but apparently Portland has an open carry law and it is not illegal to have a firearm in public. So why were these men harassed? It strikes me as odd that they are being charged with disorderly conduct for getting together in a lawful way and doing a photo shoot. This is just a sign of the times I guess. What do ya'll think?

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by lobotomizemecapin

So I can sort of see why there would be a reaction like this in most places but apparently Portland has an open carry law and it is not illegal to have a firearm in public. So why were these men harassed?
Maybe because they looked like a group of militants heading into battle, ready to fight.

"We were [color=FFA3FF]just a bunch of dudes walking across the bridge wearing camo [color=FFA3FF]getting rad."
What decade is this? Am I stuck in some sort of funky twilight zone time warp which somehow sent me back to the 80's??

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

Kind of prejudice but yeah I understand that. My main thing is that open carry is legal and only one person had a gun why do they need to detain the whole group when they were following the law? Why detain 13 people when only one had a weapon? We have a right to peacefully assemble and those rights were infringed upon because the men had beards and camo on, and only one man had a gun which I'm sure he was well within his rights and the law to have on him.

Yeah I dont get the lingo but hey its portland so you know....

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   
From the original article's image gallery

I should think that if police did not question folks equipped with this stuff they would be remiss in their duty (I am not saying arrest them, but I understand why police would want make sure that they were not preparing for criminal activity).

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Elton

what up with that bag in the backround,that looks like a bag of dried fungus matter(not sure of species) can anybody help me out i lave subpar eyes and and an old school monitor

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by DocHolidaze

im looking closer and i think i see dessert cammo, not dried fungus(of unknown orgin)

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Elton

Like I have stated previously I can understand the reaction but once they found out it was for a photo shoot, which Im sure would have been something they could have checked out real quick, These men should have been let on their merry bearded way.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   

reply to post by Elton

Like I have stated previously I can understand the reaction but once they found out it was for a photo shoot, which Im sure would have been something they could have checked out real quick, These men should have been let on their merry bearded way.

I agree, hopefully these guys get their photo shoot!

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Just another stupid reason why I want to stay away from society.

Everything you do is monitored, and if you do something out of the ordinary you get punished for it.

Yep, society really rocks the town.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by EvilSadamClone

Yeah society has become an oversensitive, holier than thou, bunch of whiny annoying losers that need to wake up from their little dream world and see that these comforts and securities are about to be thrown out from under them.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Guns and breasts?
That's all?

Until they add alcohol, I can't support this movement.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Why detain 13 people when only one had a weapon?

King said two of the men were arrested and charged with disorderly conduct for handling the rifle.
Looks like only 2 of them were arrested.

Another thing to remember, is that we don't actually know for sure how it all went down once the Police arrived on the scene. It's possible that they were antagonizing the cops.

It's never a good idea to go into the woods, and start poking sticks at the bear.

edit on 8/30/12 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by BrokenCircles

Why detain 13 people when only one had a weapon?

King said two of the men were arrested and charged with disorderly conduct for handling the rifle.
Looks like only 2 of them were arrested.

Another thing to remember, is that we don't actually know for sure how it all went down once the Police arrived on the scene. It's possible that they were antagonizing the cops.

It's never a good idea to go into the woods, and start poking sticks at the bear.

edit on 8/30/12 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

Thats true we dont know. but they detained them all and arrested and charged two of them for "handling" a rifle which sounds like a bs way to circumvent the rights of gun owners in the portland area.
edit on 31-8-2012 by lobotomizemecapin because: oops

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Thats true we dont know. but they detained them all....
They had no choice. Someone called it in, so the cops had to go check it out. That's what they're supposed to do. Then they had to completely verify the story, before letting them mosey on down the road.

Should the cops have just instantly believed it was for a photo-shoot, simply because that's what the guys said? Everyone lies. EVERYONE!

new topics

top topics

join